[Ppnews] Prison Interview: Black Panther Mondo we Langa

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sat Jan 19 12:35:36 EST 2008

OpEdNews

Original Content at
http://www.opednews.com/articles/genera_michael__080118_prison_interview_3a__b.htm

----------
January 18, 2008

Prison Interview: Black Panther Mondo we Langa
talks about dynamite "found" at his home

By Michael Richardson

Imprisoned Black Panther Mondo we Langa, formerly
David Rice, was recently interviewed at the
Nebraska State Penitentiary where he is serving a
life sentence for the bombing murder of Omaha
Police officer Larry Minard in 1970.

Langa, and co-defendant Ed Poindexter, also
imprisoned for life, were officers in the Black
Panther group National Committee to Combat
Fascism when police were lured to a booby-trapped
vacant house in August 1970.  Langa and
Poindexter were also targets of the FBI's secret
and illegal COINTELPRO operation against the
Black Panthers which had been working with Omaha police.
After a week-long sweep of Omaha's north side and
over a dozen arrests, police finally identified
15 year-old Duane Peak as the bomber.  Peak, who
got a deal from prosecutors and only served a
brief sentence as a juvenile, claimed the bomb
was constructed at Langa's house and Poindexter
gave him instructions.  Both Langa and Poindexter
deny any involvement in the killing.

The primary evidence against the two Panthers was
Peak's brokered testimony and dynamite allegedly
found in Langa's basement.  Douglas County
District Court Judge Russell Bowie heard
testimony in May 2007 about the dynamite from
retired detective Robert Pheffer who contradicted
his own trial testimony about the dynamite.

At the 1971 murder trial, detective Jack Swanson
testified he found dynamite in a coal bin in the
basement of Langa's house and was backed up by
detective Pheffer who testified he first saw the
dynamite when Swanson carried it up the
stairs.  In 2007, Pheffer changed his story and
claimed under oath he found the dynamite not
Swanson.  Crime scene evidence technicians took
photos of the basement but no dynamite is
present.  The first evidence photos that picture
dynamite are of the trunk of a police squad car.

Incredibly, despite the contradictory police
testimony Judge Bowie ruled it didn't matter who
found the dynamite.  "Other than the conflicting
reports about who found the dynamite in Rice's
basement, there is no evidence to suggest that
the dynamite was planted by police.  The bottom
line is that dynamite was found in Rice's
basement, who found it is immaterial."

 From the prison where he has been confined for
36 years, Langa talks about the dynamite testimony.

"Swanson says when he and the other cops showed
up at the house the door was open and the lights
were on.  I don't really have a clue yet exactly
what happened, but apparently what happened is
police went through the house but they did not
have a search warrant, that we know, they did not
have a search warrant, what they had was an arrest warrant for Duane Peak."

"Aside from the fact he was in the party or
associated with it, they had no reason to look in
my house for Duane Peak.  Duane Peak was 15 years
old.  He wasn't someone I hung with.  So what
they did, according to police testimony, is that
some of them remained at the house to secure
it.  Some cops stayed at the house and secured it
while others went to Judge Simon A. Simon's
house.  They went with an affidavit to have him sign a search warrant."

"It is interesting to say the least that the
police say we found dynamite in the basement next
to the furnace.  But they took a picture, they
took a photograph of my basement.  There is no
dynamite in the photograph.  But they also took a
photograph of a box of dynamite in the trunk of a
police cruiser.  They took a photo of my basement
and they claimed there is dynamite there, why not
have a photo of the dynamite in the basement?"

In 1974, at an evidentiary hearing in federal
court reviewing the search warrant, the Omaha
Police once again took the stand to talk about
finding the dynamite.  U.S. District Judge Warren
Urbom ruled the search warrant was invalid but
was later overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court.

"I don't remember which cops, I'm sure Pheffer
was one of them, but there were about, as I
recall, about three of them who were questioned
about this dynamite.  I noticed the first cop was
presented with a photo of my basement.  He is
asked to identify where he is supposed to have
found this box of dynamite.  So he has the photo
before him and he is going like this and that
[gesturing] probably trying to jog his
memory.  Urbom notices it and hands him a pen and
says, "Mark the specific spot in the photo where
you found dynamite."  So he looks at it some more
and takes the pen and marks a spot.  They are
done with him, next cop comes up and he is asked the same thing."

"Same photo.  He is looking, finally he points to
the spot that the first cop made a little
box.  Same thing with one or two more cops.  Same
thing.  They all eventually point to the marked
in box.  I'm saying to myself something weird is
going on around here.  Because my belief was that
there were two ways that things could have come
down.  Actually, three.  One, the business about
my house being open and somebody had planted the
dynamite.  That was one, but the one that made
more sense to me was there was no dynamite there
in the first place.  And the other being, with
all this cloak and dagger stuff [COINTELPRO
tactics] they actually brought a box.  See,
because other people had been arrested in a car
with dynamite, I'm thinking about a month before the bombing."

"I'm thinking maybe that they had brought
dynamite to the house.  Those are the
possibilities I was thinking about.  Anyway, we
are in Urbom's court and I'm watching this thing
about the photo.  There was a recess so I asked
Herzog [defense attorney] "Man, let me see that
photo."  I looked at the photo and I'll be
damned.  It is a photo of my basement, but
whoever took the photo took the photo of my
basement lengthwise walking down the kitchen
steps.  It is an unfinished basement, there may
have been a concrete wall and the other walls
were dirt.  And the photograph shows the one wall
where I had my target up there, my target
practice range.  Even showed the target with the
bullet holes in it.  It is against kind of a dirt
bank.  So if you walk down the steps, these are
steps right there [gesturing], the basement is
kind of like this.  There is a little area where
my target was.  When you get to the bottom of the
steps, whoever took the photo that way.  When it
just so happens that the coal bin where the
police testified they found the dynamite is over
here, cut into the wall.  It is not even in the
photo, it's not in the photo.  So, even though I
couldn't prove the police planted the dynamite or
that it wasn't there in the first place, it was
obvious their testimony was perjured because even
if they were telling
if they say the dynamite was
in the coal bin and they identify a place in the
basement that the coal bin isn't in, I mean that
is perjured testimony.  I can't prove that they
planted the dynamite but it is obvious the suckers are lying.

"So we come up to the present and here is Pheffer
talking about we found a box of dynamite in David
Rice's house facing next to the furnace.  I'm
thinking about this.  Well, if a person was going
to keep his dynamite next to the furnace and I
imagine it is to keep it warm then it would also
make sense that if there were blasting caps in
the house then it would probably would been a
good thing to have these kept like on top of the
stove to be consistent with this kind of absurdity."

"There are all kinds of things about the case
that are really pretty basic and pretty
outrageous that are part of the record that people don't know about."

Authors Bio: Michael Richardson is a freelance
writer based in Boston. Richardson writes about
politics, election law, human nutrition, ethics,
and music. Richardson is also a political consultant on ballot access.