[Ppnews] Jeff "Free" Luers has been resentenced! Out in 2009

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Feb 28 17:02:01 EST 2008

Jeffrey "Free" Luers Sentence Reduced to 10 Years

This morning at 9:00am in Lane County Circuit
Court the re-sentencing hearing for Jeffrey Luers
took place in front of Judge Billings. This
followed an Oregon court of appeals ruling in
February 2007 that Luers original sentence of 22
years 8 months by Judge Lyle Velure was illegal,
and the appeals court remanded the case back to
Lane County Circuit Court for re-sentencing.
Following the appeals court decision,
negotiations have resulted in the decision today
to reduce Luers sentence to 10 years, bringing
his release date to late December 2009. In June
2001, then 23 year-old Jeffrey "Free" Luers was
arrested for the burning of three trucks at a
Eugene car dealership. His stated purpose was to
raise awareness about global warming and the role
that SUVs and trucks play in that process.
Despite the fact that this action hurt no one,
caused only $28,000 in damages and the cars were
later resold, Luers received the draconian sentence imposed by Velure.

Luers gained support locally as well as all over
the world as a political prisoner. It is widely
believed that Luers received such a drastic
sentence because of the political nature of the
action he took. Following his original sentence,
Amnesty International and the Eugene Human Rights
Commission (EHRC) issued letters of support
citing that the sentence appeared to be
politically motivated. During the course of his
trial, statements were made by the police and
prosecuting attorney that indicated it was Luers'
political views on trial, not merely his actions.
His defense successfully proved that evidence had
been tampered with, officers had lied and that
the prosecutor had manipulated evidence to get a
legal search warrant at his residence. Luers was
given a sentence that attempted to send the
message to environmental and social justice
activists that even a merely symbolic act of
property destruction could be punished more
harshly than many crimes against persons.

Prior to his imprisonment, Luers was a very well
respected community activist in Eugene, Oregon
involved with forest defense and cooking free
food for the city's homeless population. He has
remained active from prison, often writing news
articles and monthly dispatches to his growing
list of supporters. With a release date on the
horizon, Luers future is bright and he plans to
pursue courses and looks forward to sharing
quality time with his family and loved ones.

Jeffrey (Free) Luers Resentencing Hearing, Feb.
28, 2008, Eugene, OR Contact: Lauren Regan,
Attorney- Civil Liberties Defense Center 541-687-9180

Lane County Circuit Court Sentencing Hearing in
front of Judge J.A. Billings Present: Defendant
Jeffrey Luers, Attorneys Lauren Regan, Jess
Barton and Hugh Duvall on behalf of Mr. Luers;
Assistant District Attorney Erik Hasselman on behalf of the State of Oregon.

Statement of Jeffrey Luers to Judge Billings at Sentencing

It has been many years since I first stood in
court to be sentenced for these actions. I now
not only have the benefit of hindsight but also
possess the knowledge and understanding that
comes from leaving the naiveté of youth behind.

I can now say with all honesty that I was wrong
to think that arson would inspire social change.
But, my failure in understanding that does not
mean I have changed my opinion of radical activism.

Mr. Hassleman has a written statement from me in
which I have acknowledged being wrong. I have
also committed to living the life of a
law-abiding citizen and promoting my activism
through legal means and channels. Understandably,
the prosecutor has expressed some skepticism of
my sincerity. I wish to lay those fears to rest.

I am truly excited about my future. Through the
love and support of my family, friends and many
people I do not even know, I have numerous
options available to me. I am looking forward to
furthering my education, and pursuing my goals
through hard work. I am ready to share my life
with my loved ones and I am dedicated to giving
back to the community that has shown me so much
love and support through these years of
imprisonment. That is not the lip service the
prosecutor may fear, but my sincere desire to move on with my life.

However, choosing to take a new path and
recognizing my mistakes and failures does not
make me ashamed of them. I am sorry if my actions
instilled fear or the sense of victimization in
the Romania family. That was never my intent.

I sought to promote change through radical
struggle. I viewed the refusal of our government
and corporate institutions to address the issues
and dire consequences of global warming as
legitimate reasons for direct action. I still
believe that government and corporate inaction is
a legitimate reason for direct action. Yet, I
recognize that militant struggle has failed to
create widespread social change for many reasons.
And I'm not sure if it is even capable of
creating the change we desperately need.

We are witnessing a mass extinction event taking
place in our life times. The world's top
scientists are warning that by the middle of this
century, 30 to 50 percent of all living species
could be extinct. There are predictions of 250
million people, or more, dying for lack of water
and food. Fears that melting glaciers in Alaska
and Greenland could catastrophically raise global
sea levels. While here at home our leading
climate scientists have been censored by our
government. Their reports edited by Bush
appointees who now work for some of Americas
biggest oil companies. We have been deceived by
the very people responsible for our well-being.

Fortunately, the veil has been lifted and many
Americans are now demanding that action be taken
on climate change and other environmental issues.
Indeed many states are now confronting our
federal government on the topic. However, so far
all legislative attempts to solve the problem
have failed or have lacked the necessary backbone
to accomplish anything meaningful. The time for
change has to be now. We no longer have the
luxury of passing our problems off to the next
generation. We must be vigilant in our
determination to create change and find solutions
to what is arguably the greatest threat humanity
has ever faced. It is the people in this
courtroom, the citizens of this country, this
state and this country that must carry the
responsibility for creating change. For if we
can't change our own lives how can we expect others to change theirs?

I'm ready and willing to change so that I can
help find real solutions to our problems. I'm
ready to help find methods that aren't limited to
rhetoric. Doomed to failure by symbolism or
rendered meaningless by corruption. I choose to
take a new direction because not only is a new
path sorely needed in my own life, but a new
direction is sorely needed by our country. I
recognize that if I'm not helping to create that
change, I'm just standing in the way. We are all
in this together whether we are labeled radical,
conservative or liberal. And together is the only
way we are going to solve this problem.

It is easy for me to say these things. I doubt
that my commitment to the environment or social
change has ever been questioned. However, I am
sure the court as well as many others, question
whether or not I have truly left my militant past
behind. To which all I can say is that I am ready
to live my life. I'm ready to put the needs of my
family first. And I'm also ready to find success
where thus far radical struggle has failed. More
than anything, I am just ready to move on."

To which Judge J.A. Billings responded that he
has been a lawyer and a judge for 35 years and he
has never received a statement from a defendant
of such high quality. "I'm very impressed with
you. I have no hesitation in accepting this
sentence. I wish you only the best."

2/28/08 Statement of Jeffrey Luers After Sentencing Hearing

Today I feel a great weight lifted off of me, and
my loved ones. While I believe my new sentence is
still more of a reflection of my activism and my
dissent than my actual crimes; I am looking
forward to my much closer release date.

I continue to stand by my actions and have no
regrets about my choices. These last several
years in prison have not deterred me from
speaking my mind, following my heart or standing
up against oppression and injustice.

I am proud of the many things I have accomplished
while incarcerated, including reaching beyond
oceans and borders to help raise awareness about
global warming and to help combat social injustice.

I am thankful to my family, friends and the
thousands of supporters and fellow activists from
around the world who have stood by me since day
one. And I'd especially like to thank my
attorneys, and friends. Lauren Regan, Misha
Dunlap and Shawn Wiley for never giving up on
getting me out sooner than 22 years.

I am happy to say this journey is almost over and I'll be coming home soon.

For more information, go to www.cldc.org and www.freejeffluers.org.