[Ppnews] NY - Support the Warrens in Court Monday, March 3 - 9 a.m

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Feb 25 11:29:29 EST 2008

Monday, March 3, 2008
Michael Tarif & Evelyn
                9:00 a.m.
                Criminal Court, AP2,
                6th Floor
                120 Schermerhorn Street
                Brooklyn, New York

Take the 2,3,4 or 5 train to Borough Hall or the A or F trains to Jay
St./Borough Hall.

The Warrens were assaulted by NYPD near their home when
peacefully observing & taking notes as a cop assaulted a young man.

http://www.justiceforwarrens.org

What Happened?

11/30/07: Video interview by
<http://totalblacktv.com/home/product_info.php?products_id=265&cPath=>TotalBlackTV.com

(this is the first 2 minutes of interview, view rest at
<http://totalblacktv.com/home/product_info.php?products_id=265&cPath=>TotalBlackTV.com)

Attorney Michael Tarif Warren and his wife Evelyn were driving along
Vanderbilt Avenue around 6 pm on Thursday, June 21, 2007 when they
stopped at a red light. While stopped in traffic they witnessed NYPD
officers pursuing a young man. They put their vehicle in park and
exited their vehicle to see what was happening. They saw the young
man on the ground with his hands cuffed behind him surrounded by
police officers who were kicking him viciously.

Then Sgt. Talvy, who appeared to be in charge, kicked him in the head
and stepped back some distance away.  He placed his hand on his
handgun on his right hip.

"Not only as people of conscience and moral decency, but as lawyers,
we thought this is outrageous." They arrived and stood "more than ten
feet away," he said. We returned to the vehicle almost immediately
because we were ordered to do so. Outside the vehicle, Mr. Warren
said to Sgt. Talvy, "Why are you beating him, he's handcuffed, he's
not a threat.  Take him to the precinct."

They returned to their car, and Ms. Warren began to write down the
license plate numbers of the police vehicles as the Warrens watched
the NYPD put the bleeding young man in a car. When Sgt. Talvy came
over to the car Mr. Warren told him we were lawyers.  Sgt. Talvy
struck Ms. Warren while both Warrens were in the vehicle.  Sgt. Talvy
was punching Mr. Warren repeatedly in the head, looking as if he had
no intention of stopping, repeatedly punching him through the window
and shouting, "Get out of the car!" Sgt. Talvy dragged Mr. Warren out
of the car, ripping his shirt and pants. Ms. Warren, very upset,
asked "Why are you doing this?" Sgt. Talvy then punched her in the
face. Both were arrested and taken to the 77th precinct charged with
obstruction, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest.

Quickly, word of the Warrens arrest spread, and several hundred
people descended on the 77th Precinct demanding his release.
Organizations including the December 12th Movement, 100 Blacks in Law
Enforcement Who Care, Malcolm X Grassroots, International Action
Center, CEMOTAP, the Muslim community, the Haitian community and many
others were present and several media outlets were on hand.

NYC Councilman Charles Barron, Attorneys Roger Wareham, Reginald
Haley, and Marisa Benton began negotiating their release with
Brooklyn's top brass, including Community Affairs Chief Douglas
Zeigler, Brooklyn Borough Commander Chief Gerald Nelson, and 77th
Precinct Executive Officer Michael Marino. At approximately 10:30 PM
Evelyn Warren was released with a summons. Michael Warren was
released with a DAT at 11:30 PM.

[]

Michael Tarif (left) and Evelyn Warren with NYC Councilman Charles Barron

Councilman Barron and other community activists are demanding Talvy
be fired and that Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hines "drop the
charges (against the Warrens) and charge the police." He stated,
"Police who murder and assault us must be charged with crimes and put
in jail. That is the only deterrent."

Evelyn Warren added, "We are professionals, if they do this to us in
broad daylight on a crowded street, what do they do in the dark when
no one is around? That's what I'm concerned about. Officer Talvy must
go and Police Commissioner Kelly must go, because his policy allows
this behavior to continue."

If charges against them are not dropped, Michael and Evelyn Warren
vow to take the case to trial and use it as a community mobilizing
and educating tool to fight police brutality.

This report largely taken from an article by Amadi Ajamu published by
the <http://nyc.indymedia.org/en/2007/06/87543.html>NYC Indymedia
Center on June 23, 2007. Thank you, Sister Amadi.