[Ppnews] Chicago - Freeman Deal - Family friends witness `a bit of history'

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sat Feb 23 12:43:27 EST 2008

Family friends witness `a bit of history'

Star writer among those sighing with relief as
Chicago judge accepts plea in 1969 shooting
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/306279

Feb 23, 2008 04:30 AM
Morgan Campbell
toronto star

CHICAGO–The prosecution wanted the deal. In fact, they proposed it.

Gary Freeman wanted the deal, knowing the deal
would free him in less than a month.

And the six of us, friends and relatives who
travelled from Toronto for the hearing, who now
lined the wall at the back of a small courtroom in Chicago?

We held our breath, just like the rest of Gary
Freeman's family and friends have been doing since his arrest in July of 2004.

In 1969, Freeman, then known as Pannell, had been
charged with attempted murder in the shooting of
police officer Terrence Knox on a street on the
south side of Chicago. Knox says Pannell attacked
him during a routine stop. Pannell says he acted in self-defence.

He fled to Canada in 1974, changed his name to
Gary Freeman and raised four kids here before
U.S. authorities teamed with the RCMP to track him down.

The case made headlines on both sides of the
border and made public figures of a family I'd
known since I was a teenager. I met Freeman 15
years ago through his kids and, as I wrote in the
Star three years ago, I love his family like I love my own.

If Judge Daniel Darcy agreed to the deal – a
guilty plea to aggravated battery and a $250,000
donation to a scholarship fund for the children
of slain officers – then prosecutors would drop
all other charges and sentence Freeman, who has
already served six years in various jails, to 30
days at Cook County. And on March 7, 39 years to
the day after the shooting, Freeman would walk
out of Cook County Jail and into his wife's arms
for the first time in more than three years.

Darcy asked Knox, who was across the room, how he
felt about the deal. Knox said he supported it.

Mere seconds elapsed but it felt much longer. I
glanced at Freeman's wife, Terrie Coelho, saw the
tension in her face. When Darcy said the deal
looked good to him, I felt Coelho shudder. I
heard her sigh, long and deep. I looked over and
saw a small smile. She's been waiting to exhale for 42 months.

Those months in custody have changed Freeman,
too. His hair, clipped short, had changed from
black to grey. And while he's still fit, he's
thinner than ever, his shoulders narrower and cheeks deeper.

All six of us – his wife, two of their daughters
and three friends – visited him in jail Thursday.

At one point, he motioned me closer. I put my ear
to the mesh covering the hole in the glass
through which inmates and visitors speak.

"I hope you have your reporter's eyes on
tomorrow," he said. "I think you're going to
witness a bit of history." It's hard to imagine
the guy who used to lend us books or lead us on
long bike rides, in the middle of a historic
court case, but his plea deal really does set a precedent.

Think for a minute about Medgar Evers, a
civil-rights leader murdered in Mississippi in
1964. A white supremacist named Byron De La
Beckwith was convicted in that case 31 years later.

Think about the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala.,
church that killed four black girls in 1964. A
white man named Bobby Frank Cherry was convicted in that crime in 2001.

And think about Joanne Chesimard, a black
nationalist sentenced to life for a 1973 shooting
that killed one New Jersey state trooper and
wounded another. She now has political asylum in
Cuba under the name Assata Shakur.

These cases are three of dozens of violent
incidents, for decades unresolved, that sprouted
from the racially charged climate that existed in
the U.S. in the 1960s and '70s.

But Freeman's case is the only one with anything
resembling a happy ending. De La Beckwith died in
prison and so will Cherry. And Shakur's
supporters know her freedom will last only as
long as the U.S. embargo of Cuba does.

Freeman's deal makes his the only case with an
ending that satisfies both sides and the only
case in which everyone involved not only survives
the incident but outlives the sentence. On March
7, Gary Freeman will leave jail for good. Two
years later his probation will expire and for the
first time in 41 years there will be no warrants
in his name, no sentences to serve and no charges
pending. Two more years and for the first time in
his life he'll truly be a free man.