[Ppnews] Video on post-9/11 racial profiling and prison abuse

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Feb 19 14:50:17 EST 2008

Last week, the Center for Constitutional Rights
went to court to fight the Bush administration's
post-9/11 racial profiling and round-ups of
hundreds of immigrant Muslim, Arab, and South Asian men in the New York area.

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=k1uIWS7hzMTr3ZfIgVFkrEehbAxPOJ8f>
Turkmen Video

http://ccrjustice.org/learn-more/videos/turkmen-v-ashcroft
to watch a video of CCR attorney Rachel Meeropol
and lead plaintiff Ibrahim Turkmen talking about the case.

We argued the appeal in our case,
Turkmen v. Ashcroft, which is an important legal
challenge to the government's abuse of power in
fighting the so-called "war on terror."

In actions reminiscent of the internment of
thousands of Japanese Americans after the attack
on Pearl Harbor, in the months after 9/11 our
government rounded up and detained hundreds of
Muslim, Arab, and South Asian immigrants to
determine whether they had any ties to terrorism.

Held on the pretext of minor immigration
violations, these men were kept in super-maximum
security confinement and abused for months as
their deportation was delayed so that the FBI could investigate them.

Often the men were picked up on evidence no more
specific than a phone call to the authorities in
which someone said, "my neighbor is an Arab and keeps strange hours."

http://www.ccrjustice.org/ourcases/current-cases/turkmen-v.-ashcroft
to read more about the abuse they suffered while
detained and other details of the case.

The men weren't detained because there was
evidence connecting them to terrorism—they were
swept up and detained because oof their race,
religion, and ethnicity. Because they were Arab
and Muslim men of Middle Eastern and South Asian
descent, they were presumed guilty of terrorism until proven innocent.

In 2002, we filed Turkmen v. Ashcroft, a class
action suit on behalf of the men held in New York
and New Jersey, against the United States and 31
government officials and employees, including
then-Attorney General John Ashcroft, FBI Director
Robert Mueller, and former INS Commissioner James Ziglar.

A lower court judge ruled in our favor on many of
the charges, including keeping the high-level
officials on the hook for what happened, so last
Thursday's arguments were a cross appeal by both sides.

More than five years after the case was filed,
and long after all the men have been deported to
their home countries, CCR continues to demand
accountability for the racial profiling and
indiscriminate detentions that followed in the wake of 9/11.

We await a ruling from the panel of judges and
hope that it will bring our clients one step closer to justice.

Sincerely,

Vincent Warren

CCR Executive Director
Center for Constitutional Rights  666 Broadway
7th floor NY, NY 10012 ll 212-614-6464   www.ccrjustice.org

[]

   To unsubscribe from this list reply to this
email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line
   Center for Constitutional Rights ll 666
Broadway 7th floor NY, NY 10012 ll 212-614-6464 ll www.ccrjustice.org