[Ppnews] The New Zealand "Terror Raids" against indigenous activists

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Feb 19 13:46:57 EST 2008

http://www.counterpunch.org/morse02192008.html

February 19, 2008

Land of the Long White Lie

The New Zealand Terror Raids

By VALERIE MORSE

On October 15 2007, the New Zealand police
carried out unprecedented nation-wide raids
arresting 17 indigenous rights activists and
anarchists and raiding some 60 different
locations. The arrests were based on surveillance
and interception warrants obtained under the
Terrorism Suppression Act. This was the first
time that the police used this Act, a law passed
immediately after 9/11 and a direct result of it.

The raids were staged on a Monday morning
starting at approximately 5am. At 5:45 am, the
Police knocked on my door. Then they nearly broke
it down. When I opened it, 15 officers swarmed
in, waving an 80-page search warrant in my face.
When I said, 'this isn't signed,' the detective
responded 'here, here's the signed copy.' Then
they ransacked my room, pulling my plants out of
their containers, removing the back of my
refrigerator and collecting a raft of documents,
photographs, electronic gear and clothing.
Finally, they arrested me and told me that I was
going to be charged with participating in a terrorist group.

The raids came as a huge shock to me, to most of
the country and to the world that follow such
events. New Zealand, also known as Aotearoa-the
'land of the long white cloud' in the indigenous
language of the M_ori people-has a reputation for
amicable race relations, a progressive government
and an enviable settlement process for indigenous
claims against breaches of the Treaty of
Waitangi, the founding treaty between Maori and
the British Crown, signed in 1840 by some 500 chiefs.

What is actually happening in Aotearoa beneath
the government's clever 'clean, green, 100 per
cent pure' marketing campaign is not at all what
they would lead you to believe.

On day one of the raids, there was a media frenzy
as the police carefully leaked tantalizing
nuggets of evidence including reports of napalm
bombs, assassination plots against Prime Minister
Helen Clark and President George W Bush, and an
'IRA-style war plan.' The 17 arrestees were
brought before District Court judges in four
different cities to respond to the charges. One
was dealt with immediately by the courts and
dismissed, the remaining 16 all went to prison
that night, remanded in custody as bail was
vigorously opposed by the Crown prosecution.

We were deemed a threat to 'national security.'
In the cloud of terrorism hysteria and secret
evidence, our lawyers would not even attempt an application for bail.

The New Zealand Government has signed up for all
of Bush's post-9/11 terrorism requirements. At
the same time, it imported the US Government's
brutal tactics of repression, surveillance
technologies and police hyper-paranoia about
political activity, particularly when it comes
from indigenous activists who dare to speak of aspirations of sovereignty.

Of the 17 arrested on 15 October, 12 were Maori,
many from the Tuhoe iwi (tribe). Tuhoe is known
for its long history of resistance to
colonization. They never signed the Treaty of
Waitangi. There is a story that the Crown agent
was advised that he would be eaten if he
attempted to come into Tuhoe land in order to get
the Treaty signed. Today, Tuhoe have the one of
the highest ratios of native speakers of the
Maori language (called 'te reo') among tribal
groups and have a strong cultural identity that
is intimately linked to the land in an area that
they call 'Te Urewera,' land of the mist. There
are about 20,000 people who claim Tuhoe ancestry,
many of whom are still living in relatively
isolated communities within Te Urewera.

The raids and arrests were the culmination of an
$8 million dollar, two-year long operation dubbed
'Operation Eight'. On the day of the raids, some
300 police were involved. Most had little
knowledge of the investigation or the suspects;
none it seems had any knowledge of the history of
the Crown's scorched earth policy, murder, and
land theft which prompted fierce resistance by Tuhoe more than 100 years ago.

The forces of the state have a convenient way of
forgetting things that don't suit the current
narrative. Such was the case on October 15. In a
spectacular display of force, armed,
balaclava-clad police known as the 'armed
offenders squad' quite literally invaded the
small Tuhoe town of Ruatoki and blockaded the
entire community. On an elaborate quest for
terrorists and evidence, they stopped all
vehicles coming in or out of the community and
photographed the drivers and occupants. In the
process of conducting house raids, they severely
traumatized many people, including locking a
woman and five children in a shed for six hours
while the man of the family was questioned,
taking a woman's underwear as evidence, and boarding a local school bus.

In one South Auckland raid, the police held an
entire family, including a 12 year old girl, on
their knees with hands behind their heads for
some 5 hours, asking the young woman if she was a
terrorist. This was the pattern for raids in the Maori communities.

For the non-indigenous arrestees (referred to
herein as 'pakeha' a word that means white New
Zealander), the situation was starkly different.
In my case, I was not even handcuffed as I was
walked to the car. No white neighborhoods were
blockaded, nor were white bystanders stopped and
photographed as they went about their daily
business that cool Monday morning in October. It was only Maori.

The institutional racism of the police and
justice system came as no surprise to Maori
people and particularly to Tuhoe who have been
subject to its arbitrary acts for some 160 years.
For pakeha throughout the country, it was a
wake-up call. Unfortunately, it was less a
wake-up call about racism than it was about the
growing power of the state against political
dissidents. I say it was unfortunate because it
is clear from the nearly 10,000 pages of evidence
I have now seen, that it is Maori sovereignty
that they fear. It is the political force of
unified indigeneity that scares the ruling class of New Zealand.

For Maori in Aotearoa New Zealand, the 'war on
terrorism' and these raids are part of a long
history of colonization in Aotearoa New Zealand,
and they have not been forgotten.

In the 1860s, the Suppression of Rebellion Act
was passed with strikingly similar language to
the Terrorism Suppression Act of 2002. This
earlier Act was used by the fledgling New Zealand
State to launch a series of vicious attacks on
Maori communities in order to appropriate their
land for settlement. People and whole tribes were
defined as 'in rebellion' in order that the State
could then exercise a range of repressive and
exploitative measures against them.

I was arrested, I believe, to provide a cloak for
the racist nature of the operation.

By arresting some pakeha activists, the
government could deflect criticism that this was
an operation against Maori. I was also arrested
because I am associates with the Maori accused in
the case, and because as an anarchist I have
caused enough problems and embarrassments for the
state that they would like to put me out of their
misery. In June of last year, I published a book
detailing the New Zealand government's
involvement in the 'war on terrorism.' In it, I
suggested that both dissidents and Maori were
targets of the war, along with refugees and
migrants. It was not without a sense of bizarre
irony and a certain grim satisfaction that I sat
in my prison cell and congratulated myself on being right.

Needless to say, in a country of 4 million
people, there are not six degrees of separation,
but usually only one or two. There most certainly
is a connection between anarchists,
environmentalists, anti-war and indigenous rights
activists: most of them know each other and work
together regularly. One would have to exist in a
state of utter delusion not to make the
connections between these issues, particularly in
New Zealand where the effects of the self-imposed
neo-liberal structural adjustment of the 1980s is
being felt more acutely everyday.

The New Zealand Parliament is Westminster-style
with mixed-member proportional representation. At
present, the governing Labor party maintains
power through a delicate balance of negotiated
agreements, some formal, some informal, with
other smaller parties that give support on vital confidence and supply votes.

As with the British Labor Party, the New Zealand
Labor party long ago shed any resemblance to a
working-class based party and has wholeheartedly
embraced neo-liberal economics. This has had
major implications for Maori who in the main
reject its ubiquitous commodification,
particularly with regard to flora, fauna, land
and intellectual property. Nevertheless, up until
very recently Maori had continued to support
Labor generally, and all of the Maori electorate
seats in Parliament were held by the Labour Party.

In 2004, the Government passed the Foreshore and
Seabed Act, which had the effect of extinguishing
Maori rights to claim customary ownership of the
land between the high tide and low tide marks,
and to the seabed. In contravention of
international law and despite condemnation by the
UN, the Government pressed ahead with the law,
with near unanimous support in parliament. The
following year the Treasury began to include a
line-item in the annual financial accounts for
these newly acquired Crown assets. This grotesque
confiscation was considered a declaration of war
by some Maori. It ruptured the Labor Party and
brought about the formation of the Maori Party.
This now presents a significant threat to Labor's
hold on the Maori vote, and more importantly, to their hold on power.

Politically, this is one of the primary factors
behind the raids. In the lead up to the 2008
election, it is crucial that Labour cast radical
Maori as a dangerous threat to the stability of
New Zealand. This was a gamble by Prime Minister
Helen Clark and her cabal to secure a third term
through a tactic of divide and conquer. In the
media Clark repeatedly stated that the raids were
'an operational matter for the police,' but
behind the scenes in Wellington, every politico
knows that nothing of consequence happens without her direct and explicit nod.

Another significant political factor prompting
the raids is the government's relationship with
the US and its other close defense partners. As a
member of the exclusive five-nation UKUSA
intelligence network (along with the US, UK,
Canada and Australia), New Zealand's security and
police are intimately tied to a distinctive
post-War relationship with the US. This
relationship, and the resultant organizational
links, has played a significant role in New
Zealand's response to US terrorism hysteria.
Further, the New Zealand government has separate,
internal reasons for adopting much of the new terrorism legislation.

Prior to 9/11, the Terrorism Suppression Bill was
before the Select Committee and was simply
intended to ratify two existing UN conventions
against terrorism. After 9/11, the law was
radically re-written, kept secret from the
public, while the Government and the opposition
rushed to appear resolute in support of the US.

Fortunately, the changes were leaked and there
was significant public opposition that eventually
mitigated the worst aspects of the Act.
Unfortunately, there were many more Acts that
followed. These Acts mirror changes to US law and
include the Border Security Act, the Maritime
Security Act, the Telecommunications
(Interception Capability) Act, the Identity
(Citizenship and Passports) Act, the Security
Intelligence Act and amendments to both the
Immigration Act and the Crimes Act.

Along with these legislative changes, the state's
security and surveillance services received
massive funding injections and personnel
increases ­ all in the name of fighting
terrorism. Given this environment with all their
new toys, eventually, the police and spooks had
to find a terrorist. They tried desperately to
pin that label on exiled Algerian politician
Ahmed Zaoui who came to New Zealand at the end of
2001 on a false passport. When that failed, as it
did in 2006 when the security risk certificate
against him was revoked, they set to work finding
others to fill the 'terrorist' role. The culture
of these agencies is such that they view
ex-parliamentary political activity as dangerous;
they view Maori politically activity as particularly dangerous.

So the stage was set and the roles cast when some
300 police mounted the first ever 'terror raids' late last year.

The Terrorism Suppression Act was the tool to
obtain extensive interception warrants for
bugging cell phones and cars, but the people who
were arrested were initially charged only for
joint possession of firearms and restricted
weapons under the Arms Act. In order for the
Terrorism charges to be laid, the police first
had to get the approval of the Attorney General.

In the first week following the raids, I sat in
solitary confinement with no access to news or
information. I was in shock. I have been arrested
several times in the past for political activity,
but have never been to prison. I was scared. I
was also lucky because one of my dearest friends
had been arrested that morning and was there with
me. We had adjoining cells and could communicate
by yelling over a 25 foot concrete wall in the
yard outside between our cells. After the third
day, I got a book to read: Kurt Vonnegut's
Jailbird. It made me laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes.

When they finally moved us to the general
population at the end of the first week, it felt
like a glorious place - which just goes to
demonstrate how quickly and easily solitary
confinement breaks down your resistance and your
tether on reality. It was beautiful to hear
voices, to hear music, to go outside and to be able to see the hills and sky.

By the end of that first week, our lawyers
managed to put forward an application for bail.
We arrived at the Wellington District Court to a
mass of supporters and media. Within minutes of
the start of the hearing, everyone except the
media was excluded from the courtroom. It was an
ominous beginning to one of the most disturbing and difficult days of my life.

In the hours that followed, the Crown prosecutor
painted a picture of us as a group of people who
had been training to commit terrorist acts. We
were accused of attending camps in the Urewera
area where we used guns, Molotov cocktails and
napalm. The fact that my three immediate
co-accused had no convictions of any kind, and I
had very minor ones, was used to prove our ill
intention to get out of prison and carry out that
which we had been planning. Once the terror label
was used, no judge in the country, or indeed the
world, would bail us. We went back to prison that
Friday evening and I felt very, very dark.

On Monday 29 October, the police finally put
their evidence to the Solicitor General in order
that the charge of 'participating in a terrorist
group' could be brought against us. That night, I
was interned in my new cell with no one to talk
to or to question about what might happen next. I
had been moved 500 miles north to the Auckland
women's correctional facility in a secretive
mission worthy of bin Laden or at least his best mate.

By Wednesday, Prime Minister Helen Clark could no
longer hold her tongue and waded into the debate.
She arrogantly breached the sub judice standard ­
the term used for the right to a fair trial ­
commenting that those arrested 'at the very least
had been training with firearms and napalm'. The media circus continued.

Throughout the country, protests, rallies,
fundraising and awareness raising gigs were
organized and what remains of the political left
in New Zealand rallied around the arrestees. The
political analysis ranged from debate about
indigenous sovereignty to civil rights and
surveillance. The mainstream media continued its
tradition of sensationalist reporting,
ill-informed conclusions and downright
fabrications. The media concentration in Aotearoa
New Zealand is one of the highest in the world,
with nearly all the major dailies owned by two
multinational corporations. Everyone was singing
from the same song sheet, so to speak.

The day before I was due to have another bail
hearing, after now nearly a month in jail, I had
a long conversation with my lawyer. We discussed
his strategy going into the hearing and the
possible Crown arguments. At the end of that
conversation, he said, 'Oh, there was something
else I was meaning to tell you, that's right, the
Solicitor-General is about to announce his
decision. Valerie, they are going to lay the terrorism charges against you.'

I hung up the phone and I found Emily, my
co-accused and dear friend. I told her that, 'we
must prepare ourselves for this because it is
going to happen'. I was manic, frantic, deeply
disturbed and shaken. We sat for a little while
before I went to my cell and tuned in National
Radio. The four o'clock news immediately went to
a live broadcast of the Solicitor-General's press
conference. I sat on my bed rigid with fear. He
announced, 'I cannot authorize the laying of
charges under the Terrorism Suppression Act.' I
ran out of my cell, screaming and running around
the prison wing, 'they're not going to do it;
they're not going to do it.' I yelled up to Emily
who had retreated to her cell. I could hardly get the words out.

Her immediate response, 'for all of us?' and I
thought, 'oh no, I don't know.' In my excitement
I hadn't listened to his whole speech. I ran back
to my cell where she joined me.

We tuned back in to hear him say that there was
'insufficient evidence' that none of us would be
charged, and that the terrorism law was 'complex,
incoherent and unworkable'. I was ecstatic.
Moments later I got a call from the lawyer saying
that the Crown was no longer opposing our bail. We would be out tomorrow.

It was surreal. I have never in my life felt the
kind of joyous relief that I felt that night. I
couldn't sleep. I couldn't concentrate. I just
sat there in wonder at the events of the previous month.

On Friday, November 9, we were bailed from the
High Court in Auckland. We are not free, however.
Sixteen of us still face charges under the Arms
Act. We continue to have onerous bail conditions
including curfews, reporting conditions and
non-association orders. They are the State's
tactics for control and punishment.

As I have suggested, the evidence indicates that
the raids were politically motivated by the
long-standing fear of indigenous assertions of
power. In this election year, it suits the Labor
Government to find 'bad Maori' in order to
fulfill the old colonial divide and rule
strategy. They will assimilate those they can
through propaganda and persuasion; those that
resist will be brutalized and criminalized as
they have been for more than a century. Maori
political activists are under State surveillance because they are Maori.

It comes as little surprise that the United
Nations has now accepted a complaint from
indigenous lawyers and will investigate the New
Zealand Government's conduct over the raids,
although it is the first time that a complaint by
a group against a state (rather than vice versa)
has been investigated. While this is unlikely to
have any substantive effect either on the
situation for Maori or on the arrestees, it is
another blow to the idealized utopia of the South Seas.

In the coming months, the case of the 'Urewera
16' will be heard in the District Court in
Auckland. My great hope for this trial and for
the future of Aotearoa New Zealand is that the
raids will contribute to disrupting the false
peace of this colonial state and radicalize
people to struggle for justice and freedom.

*For more information about the Crown's invasion of Tuhoe lands, please see:

Tuhoe: A history of resistance at
<http://october15thsolidarity.info/node/221>http://october15thsolidarity.info/node/221

Other sources for information about the raids:

<http://www.arena.org.nz/terprimr.htm>Back in the
mists of fear: A Primer On The Allegations Of
Terrorism Made During The Week 15-19 October, 2007. By Moana Jackson.

'<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0710/S00262.htm>Full
Coverage: the Terrorists camps on the East Cape.' Scoop.

Other sources of information about tino rangatiratanga and Maori struggle:
<https://www.aotearoa.M_ori.nz/v2/index.php>Aotearoa Café

<http://www.conscious.M_ori.nz/front.php>Conscious collaborations

<http://tuhoe.net/>Te Mana Motuhake o Tuhoe

Valerie Morse is a Wellington-based anarchist and
writer. She spent most of her 36 years in and
around Tucson Arizona and Washington DC but left
the US during the Clinton era in disgust. She is
currently facing three charges under the Arms Act
for possession of guns, restricted weapons
(molotov cocktails) and ammunition resulting from
the October 15, 2007 raids. As a result of her
life as a so-called 'terrorist', her passports
have been confiscated and her life as an
anarcho-tourist rather severely curtailed. She is
a member of Rebel Press, an anarchist publishing
collective. Her book, 'Against Freedom: the war
on terrorism in everyday_New Zealand life' and
prison 'zine 'Can't hear me scream', are
available for free download on
<http://www.rebelpress.org.nz/>www.rebelpress.org.nz