[Ppnews] Art from Inside: Auction of Paintings by Political Prisoner Tom Manning

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Feb 11 11:47:14 EST 2008

Tom Manning called on Friday, Feb. 8, 2008 to ask for letters to urge the
MCFP to give him the right knee replacement scheduled for January 2008.
He has heard rumblings about him being shipped and not treated, so is
understandably worried.  He has a difficult time walking without his knee
flexing backward, even when he is wearing the brace, so this is a health
safety issue.

   Warden
   USMCFP, Springfield
   PO Box 4000
   Springfield MO  65801

Thanks, Penny

Art from Inside: Online Auction of Paintings by Political Prisoner Tom Manning

Tom Manning's politically inspired artwork returned to Portland,
Maine this February in, Art from Inside: Paintings by Political
Prisoner Tom Manning. This exhibit includes works featured in
Manning's previous show, Can't Jail the Spirit, as well as a number
of additional pieces which have never before been publicly displayed.

The Portland Victory Gardens Project and Foglight Collective are
holding a silent auction for Art from Inside to benefit four groups:
the Jericho Movement (National), Foglight Collective (Portland, ME),
Blackbird Legal Collective (Portland, ME), and Kellogg St. Girls
Medicinal Herb Class (Portland, ME).  Some paintings sales also
benefit the Rosenberg Fund for Children.

For a complete listing of paintings go to:
<http://www.cantjailthespirit.org>www.cantjailthespirit.org
For more information about Art from Inside visit:
<http://cantjailthespirit.org/about/art-from-the-inside.html>http://cantjailthespirit.org/about/art-from-the-inside.html

To bid on a painting send your maximum bid amount, address, phone
number and email to
<mailto:artfrominside at yahoo.com?subject=Bid%20on%20Artwork>artfrominside at yahoo.comThis
e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript
enabled to view it .

Feature Event for Art From Inside: SCAR's Legacy: Art and Activism in
Portland 1972-2008. Feb 15, 7PM (doors open at 6PM) with speakers Ray
Luc Levasseur and Daniel Chard, and music by Mark Otim and Chris Teret

The auction will end on February 15th at 8pm EST. We are also
conducting an in-person auction at the Meg Perry Center at 644
Congress St. in Portland, ME.. The highest bidder (either online or
in person) will win the auction.

A few of the paintings that we are auctioning:

Active Image
  Teach Sister, Teach! Portrait of Assata Shakur

Oil on Canvas, 2005

Starting Bid Price $500

Assata Shakur was a member of the Black Panther Party and a target of
the FBI's campaign to defame, infiltrate, criminalize, and
assassinate Black Liberation leaders and organizations. Unjustly
convicted of being an accomplice in the killing of a police officer,
she eventually escaped from prison and was granted political asylum
in Cuba. The U.S. has posted a $1million bounty for her capture.
Assata's response: "It was our duty to fight for our freedom. It is
our duty to win. We must love each other and support each other. We
have nothing to lose but our chains."

Active Image

Boys Under a Straw Hat

Oil on Canvas

Starting Bid $175

Active Image

Girls Under a Straw Bowl

Oil on Canvas

Starting Bid $200

Other Paintings Include: Portraits of Leonard Peltier, Luis Rosa,
Winona LaDuke, Landscapes, and other portraits.