[Ppnews] Renewed effort to execute Mumia Abu-Jamal?

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 22 17:46:05 EST 2008

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_5479.shtml

National News

Renewed effort to execute Mumia Abu-Jamal?

By Saeed Shabazz
Staff Writer
Updated Dec 22, 2008, 03:58 pm

PHILADELPHIA (FinalCall.com) - "These people are
pushing for Mumia’s death, despite his innocence.
We need to organize like we never have before,”
declared Pam Africa of the International
Concerned Family and Friends of Mumia Abu-Jamal
in the call for a Dec. 6 rally in support of the
death row inmate in the “City of Brotherly Love."

The 27th anniversary of Mumia’s imprisonment and
detention on death-row was marked Dec. 9. The
former Black Panther and community journalist was
convicted in 1981 in the death of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner.

District Attorney Lynne Abraham is calling on the
U.S. Supreme Court to reinstate Mr. Abu-Jamal’s
death sentence. If her petition is granted it
would mean his execution without a new hearing or
a new trial, according to his supporters.

The district attorney is appealing the Third
Circuit Court’s affirmation of U.S. District
Court Judge William Yohn’s 2001 decision which
overturned the death penalty. Judge Yohn ruled
that if the district attorney wanted to reinstate
it, she had to hold a new penalty-phase jury
trial. It was unclear whether a new petition had been filed.

“The judiciary system has collaborated with the
D.A., the Fraternal Order of Police, and their
allies to assure Mumia never leaves prison, and
preferably, that he be executed and permanently
silenced,” Ms. Africa told The Final Call.

Mr. Abu-Jamal’s attorney, Robert R. Bryan, has
said he is appealing to the Supreme Court
regarding the Third Circuit Court’s denial on May
27 of a new guilt-phase trial; and the denial of
a preliminary hearing that, according to the
attorney “could have led to a new guilt-phase
trial.” Mr. Bryan has until Dec. 19 to file his petition.

“We have no faith in the courts­they have made
their position known­we must make our position
known through actions,” said Ramona Africa, sole
adult survivor of the May 13, 1985 massacre of 11
members of the MOVE organization in a southwest Philadelphia neighborhood.

The rally began at city hall. “We say stop the
frame up! No to execution! No to life in prison!
Free Mumia Now!” Ms. Africa shouted to the
hundreds gathered at the start of the rally.

After a couple hours of speeches and updates on
actions for or against Mr. Abu-Jamal, the
gathering marched to 13th and Locust Streets, the
scene of the shooting of Officer Faulkner and
where Mr. Abu-Jamal was shot on the scene by
police. Journalists for Mumia passed out a flyer
to accompany their crime scene presentation.

The flyer shows photos taken at the crime scene
by freelance press photographer Pedro Polakoff,
which are featured in the 2006 book “Race Against
Death” by German author Dr. Michael Schiffmann of
the University of Heidelberg. According to
Journalists for Mumia, there are 26 photos of the
crime scene, taken by the photographer 12 minutes
after the shootings and 10 minutes before police
Mobile Crime Scene investigators arrived.

The journalists told the protestors the photos
“raise significant reasonable doubt about the
basic scenario of the officer’s death­a scenario
that prosecutors constructed to argue for Mumia’s
guilt.” They also argue that a key procedural
point is that the photos were offered to police
and prosecutors in 1981, but never made it to the evidentiary record.

Mr. Polakoff’s photos are featured in the new
British documentary film “In Prison My Whole
Life,” which was aired on Dec. 8 on the Sundance
Channel. “Mumia’s case and the issues surrounding
it are highly important and need to be analyzed,”
said filmmaker William Francone.

Kate Allen, director of Amnesty International in
the United Kingdom, said in a statement: “It’s
shocking that the U.S. justice system has
repeatedly failed to address the appalling
violation of Mumia Abu-Jamal’s fundamental fair
trial rights. We hope that the film’s viewers
will back our call for a fair retrial.”

“I don’t think anyone is saying that this is an
easy fight,” attorney Lynn Stewart told The Final
Call. “Mumia’s only hope for an appeal now is in
the hands of the U.S. Supreme Court,” she added.

“We are here today in Philadelphia to keep before
the justice system and the public our call for
justice for Mumia,” stated Ashanti Alston of the
Jericho Movement, a national coalition of
organizations that fight for the rights of U.S. political prisoners.

Supporters say Mr. Abu-Jamal was targeted because
of his political activism, abused in police
custody and did not receive a fair trial because
the jury and judge were racist.

Other demonstrations in support of Mr. Abu-Jamal
were held in Germany, with a march to the U.S.
embassy in Berlin and marches to American embassy
in Mexico City. Solidarity events were held in
St. Denis and Paris, France. Events in support of
Mr. Abu-Jamal were also held in Portland, San Diego, Baltimore and Detroit.