[Ppnews] 'Deep Throat' betrayed murdered policeman in 'Omaha Two' case

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Dec 21 13:03:42 EST 2008

Original Content at
http://www.opednews.com/articles/-Deep-Throat-betrayed-mur-by-Michael-Richardson-081220-142.html

December 20, 2008

'Deep Throat' betrayed murdered policeman in 'Omaha Two' case

By Michael Richardson

William Mark Felt, the infamous ?Deep Throat? of Watergate fame, was
no hero.  Sometimes portrayed as heroically risking his job at the
Federal Bureau of Investigation to expose President Richard Nixon?s
illegal ?Plumbers? unit that burglarized Democratic National Committee
headquarters, Felt coveted the job as director.  Felt, who had engaged
in and covered up dirty tricks and illegal conduct of FBI agents for
years, was making a move to become the new boss.

The largest FBI crime spree that Felt kept under wraps was Operation
COINTELPRO and his name appears on a secret FBI memo in the ?Omaha
Two? case authorizing the withholding of a crime lab report.  Ed
Poindexter and Mondo we Langa (formerly David Rice) were leaders of a
Black Panther Party chapter in Omaha, Nebraska and targets of FBI
director J. Edgar Hoover?s clandestine war on the party.  Hoover was
determined to crush the party and jail or eliminate its leadership.

In 1975, Noam Chomsky put the two illegal operations in context
writing about COINTELPRO misdeeds.  ?The criminal activities of the
FBI were initiated under the liberal Democratic administrations and
carried further under Nixon.  The programs were (partially) exposed
during the Watergate period, and though incomparably more serious than
anything charged against Nixon, they were virtually ignored during
this period by the liberal national press and journals of opinion, and
only marginally discussed since.?

The August 17, 1970 bombing murder of Omaha, Nebraska policeman Larry
Minard gave Hoover?s agents the opportunity to place the blame on the
Panther leaders and have them charged with the crime.  Assistant Chief
of Police Glen W. Gates was agreeable to compromising the
investigation into Minard?s killing in order to get the two Panthers.

One snag to the COINTELPRO plot was a tape recording of the killer?s
voice made on the recently installed 911 system when a false report
was made of a woman screaming.  A plan was made the same day of
Minard?s murder to send the recording to the FBI Crime Laboratory for
analysis.  However, the crime lab was not to issue a report on the
testing which would have to be disclosed to defense attorneys.

The scheme to withhold evidence and drop the search for Minard?s
actual killer was outlined in a confidential COINTELPRO memorandum
addressed to Ivan Willard Conrad, the FBI lab director.  Conrad spoke
with Hoover on the phone on August 19th, the day before officer
Minard?s mangled body was buried, about the unusual request.  Hoover
authorized withholding the report and Conrad noted Hoover said it was
?OK to do? on his copy of the memo.

The jury that convicted Ed Poindexter and Mondo we Langa never got to
hear the recording of the killer?s voice.  The jury also never learned
that J. Edgar Hoover had personally authorized withholding evidence
from them about the killer?s identity.  Hoover?s dirty role did not
come to light until years later in a Freedom of Information request by
Mondo we Langa.  Although the released document was heavily redacted
enough information was left by FBI censors to reveal the awful details
of the plot to let Minard?s killer get away with murder in order to
pin the crime on Poindexter and Langa.

Felt, as chief of the Inspection Division, was on the COINTELPRO
directorate that oversaw the field operations and approved or denied
actions of the agents.  Felt was also on the distribution list of the
Omaha memo.  Felt?s name appears sandwiched in between Conrad and
James H. Gale, his predecessor at the Inspection Division.

Although Mondo?s heavily redacted copy of the COINTELPRO memo does not
reveal Felt?s initials there can be little doubt Felt was aware of the
plan to let Minard?s killer escape justice.  In his autobiographical
memoir, The FBI Pyramid From the Inside, Felt bragged about his total
oversight of field operations.

?The chief inspector occupied a unique position in the FBI hierarchy.
Operating under the direct supervision of the Director and with
authority to inquire at any time and any place on any matter.?

Felt elaborated, ?The whole operation was a pyramid with everything
funneling up through ever tightening lines of responsibility until it
reached Hoover.?

Felt also describes in his book his close working relationship with
Conrad, with whom he was quick to pick up a phone and call when
questions arose on a case.  As chief inspector, Felt should have
insisted that a laboratory report be issued on the vocal analysis of
Minard?s killer.

When the Church Committee of the U.S. Senate investigated COINTELPRO
in the mid-70?s, Felt was the star witness, stonewalling the
committee.  In another book, A G-Man?s Life, a sanctimonious Felt
complained about the Senate inquiry and defended COINTELPRO abuses.

?I found myself becoming the foremost FBI witness, I was interviewed
on five separate occasions by the committee staff?an exercise in
futility and frustration, since most of what I said was ignored and
the rest taken out of context.?

Felt kept up his drumbeat, ?I emphasized as strongly as I could that
our country?s complacency against domestic terrorism would eventually
lead to disaster.?

Felt?s enthusiasm for dirty tricks led to his authorization of illegal
wiretaps after Hoover?s death and his subsequent prosecution and
conviction.  ?I took part in the successful FBI struggle against these
bomb-throwers and my battle decoration came on April 10th, 1978, when
Attorney General Griffin Bell announced that I, along with L. Patrick
Gray III and Edward S. Miller, had been indicted by a Federal Grand
Jury in Washington, D.C. for violating the civil rights of members and
supporters of the Weather Underground.?

Felt was pardoned by President Ronald Reagan and did not pay for his
crimes.  Ed Poindexter and Mondo we Langa were not so fortunate.  Both
men were convicted in a controversial trial marred by the withheld
evidence and conflicting police testimony.  Sentenced to life
imprisonment the two are confined at the maximum-security Nebraska
State Penitentiary where they continue to deny any involvement in
Minard?s death.  Poindexter has a new trial request pending before the
Nebraska Supreme Court.  No date for a decision has been announced.

***

Permission granted to reprint

Authors Bio: Michael Richardson is a freelance writer based in Boston.
Richardson writes about politics, law, nutrition, ethics, and music.
Richardson is also a political consultant.

The Freedom Archives
info at freedomarchives.org