[Ppnews] Mexican solidarity with Mumia

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Dec 16 10:54:33 EST 2008

<http://phillyimc.org/en/mexico-citys-week-solidarity-mumia-abu-jamal>http://phillyimc.org/en/mexico-citys-week-solidarity-mumia-abu-jamal

by Amig at s de Mumia, Mexico | 12.15.2008

Below is a written report and photos from Amig at s
de Mumia, MX, who organized a week of actions
(Dec. 6-13) in Mexico City, in solidarity with US
journalist and death-row political prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal.

Solidarity statements were read from Mexican
political prisoners Gloria Arenas Agis and her
husband Jacobo Silva Nogales (in
<http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/12/14/18554888.php>english
or
<http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/12/14/18554889.php>spanish).
Eugenia Gutiérrez, of Women and the Sixth of the
Zapatista Other Campaign read an open letter
outside the US Embassy (in either
<http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/12/14/18554893.php>english
or <http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/12/14/18554890.php>spanish).

RELATED:
<http://www.indymedia.org/en/2008/11/916170.shtml>From
Mumia Abu-Jamal: Free the Atenco 13!
JorgeSalinas.jpg

Jorge Salinas, holding his guitar in arms once
paralyzed and playing with hands once fractured in Atenco.
Mariana and Norma.jpg

Mariana and Norma, who were raped at Atenco but
have the courage to speak of their sexual torture and denounce it publicly
Mumia-5-1.jpg

Free All Political Prisoners!
Mumia-7-1.jpg

At the fence outside the US Embassy
Mumia,-2-1.jpg

Free Leonard Peltier!
mumx.jpg

At the US Embassy, Performákrata dramatized our
struggle to free all political prisoners.
mumx2.jpg

At the US Embassy, Performákrata dramatized our
struggle to free all political prisoners.

Week of Mumia Solidarity Actions in Mexico City

--Written by Amig at s de Mumia, Mexico

With drums, songs, rap, performance, and a lot of
leafleting, the friends of Mumia in Mexico
demanded his freedom in the zocalo on Saturday,
December 6, in solidarity with the march in
Philadelphia. There were also actions and events,
starting that day, in San Francisco, New York,
San Diego, Baltimore, Portland, Detroit,
Cleveland, Missoula, Buffalo, Caracas, Barcelona,
Berlin, Paris, St. Denis, Marseilles, Bern,
Monterrey and San Cristobal de las Casas.

We listened to this
<http://prisonradio.org/philli_rally_12_6_08.htm>message from Mumia:

"My brothers and sisters, onaMOVE! I want you to
know that the battle continues. It goes on
because it must and it's the right thing to do.
As you've seen, the law is but politics by other
means, and the judges but politicians in judges'
robes. It doesn't matter what the cases say. It
doesn't matter what the so-called rules say.
They've never followed them from day one. What
matters is what you say. What matters is what you
do. So I thank you all for being there, for
fighting for what's right, for fighting for life,
for fighting for liberty. I thank you all and I
love you all. OnaMOVE! Long live John Africa!
 From death row, this is Mumia Abu-Jamal".

On Monday, December 8, the Autonomous Magonista
Collective (CAMA) organized a night of film and
discussion about the Black Panthers and MOVE to
give a context for Mumia's incrimination.

On Tuesday, December 9, 27 years after Mumia's
arrest, we held a rally outside the US Embassy.
Among us were comrades who have paid high prices
for their resistance along with a lot of young,
energetic anarchists who are barely beginning to fight.

Mexican political prisoners Jacobo Silva Nogales
and Gloria Arenas sent solidarity messages
showing their identification with Mumia in the
goals of the struggle and their understanding of
what it means to spend 27 years in prison.
Elizabeth Silva, Jacobo's sister, who visits him
every week in the maximum security Altiplano
prison (formerly Almoloya) despite all the
mistreatment and humiliation designed to keep
family members away, summed up a long letter
written by Jacobo to Mumia and spoke of the cruel conditions in Altiplano.

There was a common theme between Mumia's life and
those of former and current Mexican political
prisoners who participated in the rally: In spite
of all the physical and psychological torture
used to break their spirit and will and suffocate
resistance, they are unrepentant for having
struggled and have been able to heal themselves
and keep on going with force, commitment, and vitality.

The police almost killed Mumia the night Daniel
Faulker was shot to death. The state is still
trying to kill him, quickly or slowly. The deadly
D.A. from Philadelphia, Lynne Abraham, is now
petitioning the federal Supreme Court to execute
him without so much as a hearing, but Mumia
Abu-Jamal keeps on struggling from his cell on
death row, with words as his weapon. The police
almost killed Jorge Salinas in Atenco, but last
Saturday and last Tuesday he was with us, singing
Zapatista corridos and songs to Che Guevara and
Puerto Rican freedom fighters, holding his guitar
in arms once paralyzed and playing with hands once fractured in Atenco.

Mumia endures torture every day of his life, in
each and every body search, each and every visit
where he can't hold or even touch his loved ones,
yet every person who visits him finds him with a
smile on his face, a free spirit eager to know
how people are doing, how the struggle's doing,
and what's happening in different places in the
world. Three women who were with us at the
rally—Mariana, Edith y Norma—were raped at Atenco
but have the courage to speak of their sexual
torture and denounce it publicly. You can tell by
their smiles, their voices, and the way they walk
that, far from feeling humiliated or defeated,
they're stronger than ever. They'll go anywhere,
to any city, any country, to denounce the crimes
of their torturers and get them indicted in international courts.

If the State can't execute Mumia Abu-Jamal, it
intends to keep him caged for the rest of his
life. It doesn't have the slightest intention of
letting him out alive. And the State doesn't
intend to let Ignacio del Valle, Felipe Álvarez,
and Héctor Galindo out of their cages either. On
Tuesday, Ignacio's son, César del Valle, was with
us in solidarity with Mumia, also speaking of his
father, the other Atenco prisoners in Altiplano
and Molino de Flores, and those who are hunted by
the State and have not been able to return home
since May of 2006. César read Ignacio's powerful
message "Never Surrender," a message emphasized
in lines sent to us by the MOVE 9 political prisoner, Phil África.

Several people at the rally also marched in
supported of Mumia to the Embassy in '99 and some
went to jail because of it. They still admire him
and see the relevance of his freedom to that of
the political prisoners of Mexico.

The freedom songs and poetry of Vicky and Carlos
lifted our spirits, and Performákrata dramatized
our struggle to free all political prisoners.

 From the state of Guerrero, the Collective
against Torture and Impunity demanded justice for
Mumia from the government of the United States,
"where the death penalty and life sentences are
evidence of a legal-political-social backwardness
and a violation of human rights in the
international sphere (Inter-American Convention),
where the death penalty is prohibited, but now
taken up by Mexican politicians who insist on
copying and allowing U.S. impositions."

Eugenia Gutiérrez, of Women and the Sixth of the
Zapatista Other Campaign read an open letter to
Mumia, speaking of the death penalty as a form of
torture and of plans to reinstate it in Mexico.
She insisted: "We were born to live and be free."
Compañera Fili from the Santo Domingo
neighborhood spoke about Mumia's presence here in
Mexico, and members of the Anarquist Federation,
Radiokupa, CAMA, Anarchist Black Cross, Chanti
Ollin and CCH Oriente read Mumia's commentaries
and abolitionist and solidarity messages for him.
There were also denunciations against the
repression in Tiripetío and Oaxaca and against
the sentences of the October 2 prisoners. There
was a brief blockade on Reforma Avenue and some
stayed on the street divider for quite a while
with red and black flags, leafleting and chanting.

On Saturday night, December 13, we closed the
week with a concert-dance, with the announced
groups Al Intifadah, Natty Dread Fyah Attack,
Zona Norte Colektivo, Santocho Antifa and
Radiokupa, plus several other musicians who
showed up to play, including Tiempo y Azeta, el
Poeta, Vicky and Carlos, Tambores Rumberos, hip
hop sound-maker Carlos, and Machetearte
performance troupe who sang out and energized  us
to gain freedom for Mumia Abu-Jamal and all political prisoners.