[Ppnews] Mumia Abu-Jamal - Legal Update on U.S. Supreme Court

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Dec 16 10:51:47 EST 2008

Date:         December 15,  2008
From:        Robert R. Bryan, lead counsel
Subject:    U.S. Supreme Court developments regarding Mumia
Abu-Jamal, death row
Introduction  Mumia Abu-Jamal remains on Pennsylvania's death
row.  Last week marked the 27th anniversary of his unjust
imprisonment.  Racism, fraud and politics have been threads that have
run through the case since its inception, and continue today.

We are in extensive litigation on two fronts before the United States
Supreme Court.  The prosecution is continuing it quest for the
execution of my client.  In a separate case before the court, I am
seeking an entirely new trial and Mumia's freedom.  Based upon my
experience in having successfully represented numerous people in
murder cases involving the death penalty, I am convinced that we can
win if I can just get it back before a jury.

U.S. Supreme Court  The following is a brief overview of recent
developments and filing deadlines:

Beard v. Abu-Jamal, U.S. Sup. Ct. No. 08-652  On November 14, 2008,
the Philadelphia District Attorney filed in the U.S. Supreme Court a
petition seeking to overturn the victory we achieved earlier this
year in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.  Abu-Jamal
v. Horn, 520 F.3d 272 (3rd Cir. 2008).  In that ruling court ordered
a new jury trial on the question of the death penalty.  Our Brief In
Opposition is scheduled to be filed on January 21, 2009.

Abu-Jamal v. Beard, U.S. Sup. Ct. No. 08A299  The Petition for Writ
of Certiorari will be filed on December 19, 2008.  The issues concern
the prosecution's use of racism in jury selection.  Relief was denied
last spring by a sharply divided federal court.  This is of great
constitutional significance as reflected by the extraordinary
dissenting opinion of Justice Thomas L. Ambro.  Abu-Jamal v. Horn,
520 F.3d at 304-320.  He reaffirmed the bedrock principle that
everyone is entitled to a fair and impartial trial by a jury of his
or her peers, and that excluding even a single person from a jury
because of race violates the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S.
Constitution's Fourteenth Amendment.

Donations for Mumia's Legal Defense  The legal defense for Mumia
needs substantial funds.  The legal costs for our litigation in the
Supreme Court are considerable and will likely reach six figures.  To
help, please make your checks payable to the "National Lawyers Guild
Foundation" (indicate "Mumia" on the bottom left).  The donations are
tax deductible, and should be mailed to:

Committee To Save Mumia Abu-Jamal
P.O. Box 2012
New York, NY 10159-2012

Conclusion  This is a life and death struggle to save Mumia.  He is
in greater danger than at any time since being arrested.  Your
support and activism is needed.  That Mumia remains in prison and on
death row is an affront to basic human rights.  We must aggressively
continue this struggle until he is free.

Yours very truly,
Robert R. Bryan

Law Offices of Robert R. Bryan
2088 Union Street, Suite 4