[Ppnews] The Guantánamo Suicide Report

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Aug 26 15:30:33 EDT 2008

http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington08262008.html

August 26, 2008

Travesty or Truth?

The Guantánamo Suicide Report

By ANDY WORTHINGTON

Two years and two months after three prisoners at
Guantánamo died, apparently as the result of a
coordinated suicide pact, the Naval Criminal
Investigative Service (NCIS), which has been
investigating the deaths ever since the three
long-term hunger strikers were found dead in
their cells on June 10, 2006, issued a 934-word
statement on Friday that purported to draw a line
under the whole sordid affair.

The deaths of the three men -- Ali al-Salami,
Mani al-Utaybi and Yasser al-Zahrani -- have been
controversial from the moment that they were
first announced, when Guantánamo’s
then-Commander, Rear Adm. Harry Harris, attracted
international opprobrium by declaring that they
were an act of “asymmetric warfare,” and Colleen
Graffy, the deputy assistant secretary of state
for public diplomacy, had similar scorn heaped
upon her when she described the men’s deaths as a “good PR move.”

The administration soon assumed a slightly more
placatory role, when Cully Stimson, the deputy
assistant secretary of defense for detainee
affairs, declared, “I wouldn't characterize it as
a good PR move. What I would say is that we are
always concerned when someone takes his own life,
because as Americans, we value life, even the
lives of violent terrorists who are captured waging war against our country.”

In keeping with the unjustified rhetoric that
concluded Stimson’s “apology,” the Pentagon
proceeded to pump out propaganda portraying the
men as terrorists, even though, like all the
prisoners in Guantánamo, the majority of the
information against them had come from
interrogations in which torture and coercion were
widespread, and none of the men had ever been
screened adequately to determine whether or not
there was any basis for their automatic
designation as “enemy combatants” who could be
held indefinitely without charge or trial.

Al-Zahrani, who was only 17 years old at the time
of his capture, was accused of being a Taliban
fighter who “facilitated weapons purchases,” even
though this scenario was highly unlikely, given
his age. In al-Utaybi's case, he was declared an
“enemy combatant” because of his involvement with
Jamaat-al-Tablighi, a vast worldwide missionary
organization whose alleged connection to
terrorism was duly exaggerated by the Pentagon,
which had the effrontery to describe the avowedly
apolitical organization as “an al-Qaeda 2nd tier
recruitment organization.” The administration
also admitted that al-Utaybi had actually been
approved for “transfer to the custody of another
country” in November 2005, although Navy
Commander Robert Durand said he “did not know
whether al-Utaybi had been informed about the
transfer recommendation before he killed
himself.” In the case of al-Salami, who was
captured in a guest house in Pakistan with over a
dozen other prisoners, most of whom have
persistently claimed that they were students, the
Pentagon alleged that he was “a mid- to
high-level al-Qaeda operative who had key ties to
principal facilitators and senior members of the group.”

Sadly, the NCIS statement (published in full
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2008/08/25/ncis-statement-on-the-guantanamo-suicides-of-june-2006/>here)
does little to address long-standing concerns
about the circumstances of the men’s deaths. The
investigators unreservedly backed up the suicide
story by reporting that “Autopsies were performed
by physicians from the Armed Forces Institute of
Pathology at Naval Hospital Guantánamo on June 10
and 11. The manner of death for all detainees was
determined to be suicide and the cause of death
was determined to be by hanging, the medical term
being ‘mechanical asphyxia.’”

Their major contribution to the story of the
men’s deaths was to revive claims that they had
left suicide notes. They wrote that “A short
written statement declaring their intent to be
martyrs was found in the pockets of each of the
detainees,” and that “Lengthier written
statements were also found in each of their cells.”

The contents of the alleged suicide notes was not
revealed in the NCIS statement, but was part of
“more than 3,000 pages of military investigative
documents, medical records, autopsies, and
statements from guards and detainees” obtained by
the Washington Post. According to the NCIS, the
“case file will be posted in its entirety on the
DOD FOIA web site in the near future.”

As the Washington Post described it, Ali
al-Salami wrote, “I am informing you that I gave
away the precious thing that I have in which it
became very cheap, which is my own self, to lift
up the oppression that is upon us through the
American Government,” adding, “I did not like the
tube in my mouth, now go ahead and accept the
rope in my neck.” He also apparently criticized
the International Committee of the Red Cross,
accusing its representatives, who secure access
to some of the world’s most notorious prisons
primarily on the basis that they will not
publicly disclose their findings, of “conspiring
in the detainees' suffering” because it had been
“covering the American Government repugnance since the first day.”

In the Miami Herald, Carol Rosenberg reported
that the other two prisoners had left notes that
stated, “I turned in my Koran not insult
 Now
I'm turning in my body and sacred are so you not
insult it,” and “I left out of the cage despite
of you,” and wondered, with some justification,
whether the report had “quoted awkward
Arabic-English translations of the detainees'
notes,” or if the men had, in fact, “written in crude English.”

The rest of the NCIS statement essentially
explained the long delay in submitting the
report. “Due to similarities in the wording of
the statements and the manner of suicides, as
well as statements made by other detainees
interviewed,” the investigators wrote, “there was
growing concern that someone within the Camp
Delta population was directing detainees to
commit suicide and that additional suicides might
be imminent. Representatives of other law
enforcement agencies involved in the
investigation were later told that on the night
in question, another detainee (who did not later
commit suicide) had walked through the cell block
telling people ‘tonight's the night.’”

They added, “The cells of other detainees were
searched during the week following the suicides
in an attempt to find evidence regarding whether
the suicides had been part of a larger conspiracy
which might result in additional detainees also
taking their lives,” and explained that the
searches produced 1,065 pounds of documents,
including “additional handwritten notes found in
cells other than those where the suicides took
place.” These, they wrote, were then subjected to
translation and analysis, and they went on to
explain that the process was particularly
time-consuming because a separate body had to be
set up to ensure that documents relating to
confidential correspondence between prisoners and
their lawyers was not included.

Rather disturbingly, reporting on the story has
been noticeably muted. In the Washington Post,
Josh White painted a vivid picture of how the men
apparently committed suicide, but was content to
parrot the NCIS’s line about the deaths, noting
that the NCIS investigation “and other documents
reveal that the men took advantage of lapses in
guard protocol and of lenient policies toward
compliant detainees to commit what suicide notes
described as an attack on the United States.”

He added, “Investigators found that guards had
become lax on certain rules because commanders
wanted to reward the more compliant detainees,
giving them extra T-shirts, blankets and towels.
Detainees were allowed to hang such items to dry,
or to provide privacy while using the toilet, but
were not supposed to be able to obscure their
cells while sleeping. Guards told officials that
it was not unusual to see blankets hanging in the
cells and that they did not think twice when they
passed several cells on the night of June 9,
2006, with blankets strung through the wire mesh.
Authorities believe the men probably hanged
themselves around 10 p.m., but they were not
discovered until shortly after midnight on June 10.”

White’s most explosive revelation was reserved
for the end of his article, where he explained
that the documentation revealed that the
military's Criminal Investigation Task Force had
“decided years earlier” that Ali al-Salami, “who
was arrested near his college in Pakistan in
March 2002 and was turned over to U.S.
authorities on May 2, 2002, in Afghanistan, was
not someone they could prosecute.” Far from being
“a mid- to high-level al-Qaeda operative who had
key ties to principal facilitators and senior
members of the group,” as the Pentagon alleged
after his death, what was described as “a
previously ‘secret’ document” revealed that
investigators had concluded instead that
“Although many of the individuals apprehended
during the raid have strong connections to
al-Qaeda, there is no credible information to
suggest Ahmed received terrorist related training
or is a member of the al-Qaeda network.” This, of
course, is a shockingly belated vindication of
al-Salami’s innocence, which deserves far more
publicity than it has so far received.

If Josh White was rather soft on the
administration, Carol Rosenberg was more
challenging, writing that the NCIS statement
“shed little light” on the circumstances of the
men’s deaths. She spoke to a “senior Pentagon
official who read the report and provided details
in exchange for anonymity,” who, she wrote,
noted, as if reading from a script prepared by
Dick Cheney, “that the Navy investigation found
the simultaneous suicides to be acts of ‘defiance
and martyrdom,’” and she pointedly asked why the
report “left unexplained one key question -- why
guards had not checked on the men for two and a
half hours before they were discovered hanging in
their cells.” “For years,” she added, drawing on
her long experience as Guantánamo’s most frequent
visiting journalist, “tours of the prison camps
have described a strict doctrine that had guards
check on each detainee every few minutes.”

Perhaps when -- or if -- the full case file is
released publicly, the documents it contains will
shed more light on the deaths of Ali al-Salami,
Mani al-Utaybi and Yasser al-Zahrani, but for now
the investigation has the appearance of a
whitewash. As al-Salami’s lawyer, David
Engelhardt, explained to the Washington Post,
“It's simply astounding that it took the
government over two years to conclude a so-called
investigation of three men who died in a small
cage under the government's exclusive control.
The investigation itself is what needs to be
investigated, along with the people who've
perpetrated the disgraceful, extra-constitutional detentions.”

Not mentioned in the current round of discussions
are two of the most convincing explanations of
the men’s apparent suicide, which I have also
reportedly previously. In my book
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>The
Guantánamo Files, which features a chapter on the
suicides and hunger strikes at Guantánamo, I cite
an article by Tim Golden from the New York Times
Magazine in September 2006, in which Guantánamo’s
warden, Col. Mike Bumgarner, explained that the
British resident Shaker Aamer had told him that
“several of the detainees had had a ‘vision,’ in
which three of them had to die for the rest to be
freed.” As I also
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington10242007.html>reported
in a previous article, Aamer also seemed to
endorse the view that the men had committed
suicide, explaining that a guard had told him
before the men’s deaths, “They have lost hope in
life. They have no hope in their eyes. They are
ghosts, and they want to die. No food will keep
them alive now. Even with four feeds a day, these
men get diarrhea from any protein which goes right through them.”

Even so, other burning questions about the men’s
deaths remain unanswered. In an environment in
which cell searches are notoriously frequent and
access to pens and paper is strictly rationed, is
it really plausible that the three men could
actually have written and secreted the suicide
notes they were alleged to have written? And, as
Carol Rosenberg asked, is it also plausible that
the regime had become so lax that three men who
had been on painfully long hunger strikes would
have been left unmonitored for at least two hours?

One person who is not convinced is Murat Kurnaz,
the German-born Turkish citizen and German
resident, who was released in August 2006. In his
extraordinary account of his experiences, Five
Years of My Life: An Innocent Man in Guantánamo,
Kurnaz wrote about the men’s deaths, specifically
addressing these questions, providing a view of
the prison’s security that is completely at odds
with the blanket-shrouded cells and lax security
described by the NCIS, and reaching a far darker conclusion.

Kurnaz was not present in the cell block -- Block
Alpha in Camp 1 -- on the night the men died, but
several weeks later some prisoners who were moved
to cells near him explained their take on what
had happened. These prisoners, who had been in
Block Alpha, “said that dinner had come early
that evening and that everyone in the block
suddenly got tired and had fallen asleep -- even
though it was never quiet in the block at that
hour, even when the guards left us in peace.
There was always someone who couldn’t fall
asleep, who wanted to pray or who kept waking up
throughout the night.” Kurnaz added that Yasser’s
last neighbor also noted, “The metal shutters in
front of the windows had also been closed from
the outside
 as if a storm were approaching.”

This man explained that, although “he had been
woken up in the middle of the night by a loud
bang” and had seen a team of guards entering
Yasser’s cell, he had thought nothing of it, as
this was a regular occurrence. Some time later,
however, the guards woke everyone up, and
Yasser’s body was carried out of his cell on a
stretcher, with a piece of sheet in his mouth,
other pieces binding his arms and legs, and “more
sheet around his neck, like a noose.”

The guards proceeded to explain that Yasser “had
hung himself,” but, the man explained, “we didn’t
think that could be true. He would have had to
attach the noose to the sharp metal lattices with
his hands and feet tied and with no chair to
stand on. That was nearly impossible.” In
addition, as Kurnaz noted, “It seemed highly
unlikely that the guards would have failed to
catch him in time.” Reinforcing Carol Rosenberg’s
doubts, he explained, “They barely let us out of their sight for a minute.”

Kurnaz also noted, “The guards claimed he had
covered the walls of his cage so that they hadn’t
seen him do it. But what was he supposed to have
used to cover the cage? The same sheets with
which he allegedly hung himself?” He added,
taking exception to the official claims that, at
the time of the deaths, “it was not unusual to
see blankets hanging in the cells,” “And what
about the rule prohibiting us from hanging anything on the walls of our cells?”

He continued: “It seemed too much of a
coincidence that the other two dead men had hung
themselves at exactly the same time in exactly
the same way in the same block, while all the
other inmates had been sleeping like babies. When
the guards were patrolling the corridors, it
never took long before other guards came to
ensure we were following the rules. The guards
never took a break since they, too, were kept
under surveillance to ensure that they too were
carrying out their duties.” While this could, in
theory, be explained by the report’s conclusion
that security had slipped on the night in
question, no one in authority addressed the next
question posed by Kurnaz: “And what about the
sharpshooters in the watchtowers? Hadn’t they noticed anything?”

After noting, poignantly, that Mani al-Utaybi had
indeed been informed “a few days earlier” that he
was going to be released -- and that he was
“[o]verjoyed,’ that he “had told everyone about
it,” and that, consequently, he “didn’t seem to
have much of a reason for killing himself” --
Kurnaz presented the prisoners’ unavoidable
conclusion about the men’s deaths: “No, we
prisoners unanimously agreed, the men had been
killed. Maybe they had been beaten to death and
then strung up, or perhaps they had been strangled.”

He added that no one knew why, but that he and
many others believed that it may have been
because many of the guards in Guantánamo “were
afraid of being sent to Iraq,” and that some of
them thought that “if prisoners died in
Guantánamo, it would create trouble for the Bush
government, and they wouldn’t have to take part in the war.”

This strikes me as a far-fetched interpretation,
but it’s clear that, although we may never know
the truth about the deaths of Ali al-Salami, Mani
al-Utaybi and Yasser al-Zahrani, the NCIS’s
insistence that the investigation into the deaths
is now closed is premature, despite the long
delay in its production. Scorned in death, and
hacked up and shipped home like packages of meat,
these three men deserve much more than has so far
been delivered in the way of justice.

Andy Worthington is a British historian, and the
author of
'<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>The
Guantánamo Files: The Stories of the 774
Detainees in America's Illegal Prison' (published
by Pluto Press). Visit his website at:
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/>www.andyworthington.co.uk
He can be reached at:
<mailto:andy at andyworthington.co.uk>andy at andyworthington.co.uk