[Ppnews] British girl from London visits the Angola 3

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 20 13:12:31 EDT 2008

British girl from London visits the Angola 3

http://news.infoshop.org/article.php?story=20080820064724649

Wednesday, August 20 2008 @ 06:47 AM CDT
Contributed by: Anonymous
<http://news.infoshop.org/index.php?topic=67>
North America
An 11-year-old girl from London has become the
youngest ever British person to visit two members
of the so-called Angola 3, who remain
incarcerated in Angola prison, Louisiana more
than three decades after they were convicted of the murder of a prison guard.

Youngest British person visits the Angola 3 at Louisiana State Prison.

An 11-year-old girl from London has become the
youngest ever British person to visit two members
of the so-called Angola 3, who remain
incarcerated in Angola prison, Louisiana more
than three decades after they were convicted of the murder of a prison guard.

Poppy met Albert Woodfox and Herman Wallace,
found guilty in 1973 and 1974 respectively of the
1972 murder of Brent Miller at the notorious Angola prison.

“Meeting Herman and Albert was surreal yet
amazing. It was incredible just to sit with them
and listen to everything they had to say”

She began writing to the two men in 2007 after
learning about their cause through her mother,
Carrie Reichardt , a 41-year-old artist and
activist, aka The Baroness, who has become known
for her mosaics infused with social and political
commentary that cover the exterior walls of her
London home and studio. In June, she unveiled an
extensive work depicting the Angola 3 and Kenny
‘Zulu’ Whitmore – also at Angola and the focus of
a new, international campaign mounted by Richards
and other artists and activists.

Carrie said about her daughter’s trip - ‘I feel
it is important for me to pass on an awareness of
some of these injustices to my daughter. These
men have been held in horrible conditions, in
tiny cells for years on end, convicted with
little or no evidence. They deserve our support,
and I’m thrilled my daughter had this fantastic
opportunity to visit Angola and our friends Herman and Albert.’

Woodfox and Wallace have always maintained their
innocence, claiming they were framed for the
crime due to their political activism; both were
members of the Black Panther Party and had spoken
out about the horrific conditions at the prison.

The third of the Angola 3, Robert King, also a
member of the Black Panther Party, was released
in 2001, after his conviction for the murder of a
fellow inmate at Angola was overturned. He
recently visited the UK to raise awareness of the
global grassroots movement for the release of
Wallace and Woodfox and launch the ‘Free Zulu’ campaign.

Poppy spent four hours on 9th Aug at Angola
prison talking with the men, who, until recently
spent a minimum of 23 hours a day in their cells.

“When I first saw Herman and Albert I ran up to
them and gave them a huge hug. It was weird to
think that this is a rare treat for them, just to
have a hug from another human being”

In March this year, following increased media
attention and a visit to the prison by chair of
the US House Judiciary Committee John Conyers,
Woodfox and Wallace were moved from solitary
confinement, after almost 36 years, to a
maximum-security dormitory. Campaigners say they
are likely to have spent longer in solitary than
anyone else in US history, a belief that has
prompted Amnesty International to highlight their cause.

The precocious 11-year-old, who says she intends
to become a human rights lawyer to help abolish
the death penalty, also visited New Orleans
during her two-week stay in the US, visiting and
documenting sites still devastated after Hurricane Katrina.