[Ppnews] Solidarity to Sara Jane Olson/Kathleen Soliah

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Apr 8 17:45:33 EDT 2008

From: http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=2008040614452369

Arise! Bookstore (Minneapolis) and RNC Welcoming Committee Extend
Solidarity to Sara Jane Olson

Sunday, April 06 2008 @ 02:45 PM PDT

The RNC Welcoming Committee and the Arise! Books and Resources
Collective would like to extend their sympathies and solidarity to
former St. Paul resident Sara Jane Olson and her family. While some
call into question the actions of the Symbionese Liberation Army, the
only way to avoid criticism is to remain silent, and so we find the
words and actions of the SLA inspirational. The everyday violence of
the state, of which the murder of several SLA members was only a
part, is immense. Sara Jane Olson spent and continues to spend her
life in accordance with her conscience, bravely resisting systems of
oppression. We regard her a hero and history will as well.

Between her involvement in the SLA and her arrest in 1999, Olson
contributed immensely to radical and progressive causes, including
being a founding member of the Arise! Books and Resources Center in
south Minneapolis. She demonstrated that the vast majority of work
undertaken by even the most militant radicals is nonviolent and
community-focused, manifesting a diversity of tactics and strategies
for radical change. As a compassionate and caring mother, wife and
organizer in the Twin Cities, she shattered the demonizing media and
government stereotype of radical activists, replacing a false
impression of blind anger with an embodiment of righteous love.

It is clear that Sara Jane Olson's re-arrest was prompted by pressure
from police unions and the political right. It is also painfully
obvious that the state never takes such action under similar pressure
from the communities most directly affected by the prison industrial
complex. Therefore, it is vitally important for the radical and
progressive community to support Sara Jane, realizing that an attack
on one member of our movement is an attack on all of us. As we in
Minnesota prepare to create our vision of resistance and direct
democracy during the spectacle of the Republican National Convention
this September and beyond, we will carry on Sara Jane's struggle and
choose solidarity over divisiveness.

If there is any way our work can benefit the Olson/Peterson family,
it would be an honor.

The RNC Welcoming Committee / www.nornc.org
Arise! Books and Resources Collective / www.arisebookstore.org / 2441
Lyndale Ave S. Minneapolis

Background on Sara Jane Olson's rearrest:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-olson23mar23,1,5137396.story

Write to Sara Jane Olson/Kathleen Soliah:

Sara Jane Olson
W94197
506-10-04L
C.C.W.F.