[Ppnews] Hugo "Yogi Bear" Pinell

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Oct 16 14:23:51 EDT 2007

From: Kiilu Nyasha <kiilu2 at sbcglobal.net>

HUGO “YOGI BEAR” PINELL

October 16, 2007

I received a letter from Yogi dated October 3
that I feel compelled to share with you – along
with a report from Georgia Schreiber of
California Prison Focus who visited him last
weekend.  Known as one of the San Quentin Six,
Yogi has been incarcerated since 1964!

We learned that Yogi is suffering from very high
blood pressure.  He’s currently on medication for
it, but we’re very concerned for his health since
he has endured solitary confinement (no phone
calls, no contact visits, no yard, no company)
for 37 years.  Yogi has suffered the last 17
years in Pelican Bay’s notorious SHU (Security
Housing Unit,) or Supermax, a windowless nightmare.

He wrote:

“Yes, great, the SF8 are out on bail.  That case
should be thrown out.  And it is great that the
Jena 6 are getting much love and support.  Like
you, I’m hoping that the new generation will be
the one to make bigger and unified changes for
our [movement] and the people, but ours, for
sure, for that will give us the formula of how to
help others.  One big problem, which I’m sure is
noticeable [sic] or pointed out to our youth is
the fact too many elders, who used to be in the
freedom struggle and should be active still, they
are retired (?) or roaming around in the
background, or labeled former this or former that
as if the struggle is to be served up to a
certain age?  Very few of you, Beautiful People,
stay the course and [are] still growing,
therefore others can give you props but won’t
come along because they see no progress, hence
the excuses or reasons why they go different
ways.  I don’t know all of the reasons why not,
but it hurts soo deeply to see the horrible
conditions we exist in, specially in Africa, Brazil and in the Islands.

“I feel the same way you do, when it comes to my
family being those who show me love, care and are
there for me.  I keep very much to myself in here
and I can deal with it, for the longest, but it
hurts and bothers me that the affiliation label
is being used to keep me in these 4 units, used
to keep me from going to a main line where I can
get regular fresh air, lots of sunshine, better
food, and, more importantly, contact visits.  I
haven’t had a contact visit since Dec.
1970.  Would be great if I was in the same line
with Ru [Ruchell Cinque Magee].  The weather
there is warm the year around and it would be so
easy for Mom, you, the family to visit
regularly.  The label is also being use by the
board to deny me release.  It’s almost impossible
to win a challenge of the label [gang
affiliation].  All I can say is no, I’m not
affiliated with any group, of any kind and ask
them to show me my name on anything or produce a
source I can question.  And they say they don’t
need my signature on any document.  That all they
need are sources who say I’m affiliated, sources
who cannot be revealed for security
reasons?!  I’m stuck in the most difficult of
situations, Sis, because I want so badly to touch
Mom.  Not only that, her condition is frail, and
if I can’t be home, I should be able to touch her
and I know that would give more strength and determination to hold on
”

Isn’t nearly 44 years enough?!?

For more information on Yogi Bear, go to
<http://www.hugopinell.org/>www.hugopinell.org.

Please write letters, make phone calls, make a
fuss about the ongoing torture – yes torture,
extreme isolation and sensory deprivation – of
this brave brother who was one of George
Jackson’s closest comrades and one of the
soldiers who stood up when Black prisoners were
under fire in the 1960s and early ‘70s.  (See
Minh Yee’s Melancholy History of Soledad Prison).