[Ppnews] Guantánamo - Eight More Wrongly Imprisoned Men are Quietly Released

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Oct 5 13:20:33 EDT 2007

http://www.counterpunch.org/

October 5, 2007

Eight More Wrongly Imprisoned Men are Quietly Released

The Anonymous Victims of Guantánamo

By ANDY WORTHINGTON

Hot on the heels of the release of Mohammed
al-Amin, a Mauritanian student who was just a
teenager when he was kidnapped for a bounty
payment on a street in Pakistan over five years
ago, the Pentagon has released another eight
detainees -- six Afghans, a Libyan and a Yemeni
-- thinning "the worst of the worst" at Guantánamo from 778 men to just 335.

Of the six Afghans released, the identities of
three are unknown. This is hardly surprising, as
the Department of Defense never reveals the names
of those it releases, and the media long ago
abandoned turning up in Kabul to welcome back
another bunch of farmers, shopkeepers and Taliban
conscripts from their brutal and surreal sojourn
in a small corner of Cuba that is forever
America. Of the 163 Afghans released since
Guantánamo opened (out of a total of 218), a
dozen of those released in the last few years
have not been identified, and these three look
like remaining just as anonymous.

To compensate, however, the three Afghans who
have been identified represent a microcosmic
cross-section of the ineptitude of the US
military and the Pentagon during the two years
that followed the US-led invasion of Afghanistan
in October 2001, consisting of a pro-US,
anti-Taliban military leader, another man who was
arrested after his house was bombed, and another
who was seized while walking in the street.

The pro-US military leader -- one of several
dozen actively pro-American Afghans held at
Guantánamo over the years -- is Sabar Lal Melma.
40 years old at the time of his capture, Melma
was the military aide to Haji Roohullah, the
commander of a long-standing anti-Taliban militia
based in Kunar province, which was aligned with
the Northern Alliance. Roohullah, who was also
described by Ghulam Ullah, the head of education
in Kunar, as "a national religious leader," had
fired the first salvo against the Taliban in
Kunar after the US-led invasion, and as a result
of his anti-Taliban credentials and his support
for Hamid Karzai, he was rewarded with an
important position in the province's post-Taliban
administration, and was also made a member of the
Loya Jirga, the prestigious gathering of tribal
leaders that elected Karzai as President in June
2002. Betrayed by a rival ­ probably Malik Zarin,
the head of the rival Mushwani tribe, who had
ingratiated himself with the Americans and was
using them for his own ends ­ Roohullah, Melma
and eleven others were seized by US forces in
August 2002 and taken to the US prison in Bagram
airbase for questioning, where they were accused
of being part of an Islamic extremist group and
helping al-Qaeda fighters to escape from Tora
Bora, even though they had had numerous meetings
with senior American officials and had offered
support for the Tora Bora campaign.

Although the others were subsequently released,
the Americans decided that both Roohullah and
Melma had sufficient intelligence value to be
transferred to Guantánamo in August 2003.
According to an Associated Press report, they
believed, despite overwhelming evidence to the
contrary, that Roohullah "had strong links with
Middle Eastern fighters in Afghanistan,
particularly Saudi Arabians like Osama bin
Laden," and thought it significant that he was a
follower of the Wahhabi sect of Islam. In his
tribunal, Melma pointed out the injustice of
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>
[]
imprisoning him with members of the Taliban: "The
only thing I want to tell you that is so ironic
here is that I see a Talib and then I see myself
here too, I am in the same spot as a Talib. I see
those people on an everyday basis, they are
cursing at me ... They say, 'See, you got what
you deserved, you are here, too.'" Astonishingly,
though Melma has now been released, Haji
Roohullah remains in Guantánamo, with no immediate prospect of release.

The man who was taken to Guantánamo because his
house was bombed is Mohibullah, from Uruzgan
province, who was just 21 when he was captured.
Woken in the night by the sound of firing, he
went into his compound and fired three warning
shots into the air to ward off what he thought
were burglars. Soon after, an American plane
dropped a bomb on his compound, injuring him, and
he was captured by Special Forces the following
morning. "I never worked with the Taliban, or
talked with them or ate with them," he told his
tribunal at Guantánamo. "I was a bus driver." Two
years ago, in an attempt to secure his freedom,
he wrote a habeas corpus petition, without the
help of a lawyer, in which he explained more
about the circumstances of his capture, noting
that he was severely injured when his house was
destroyed, but that when the Americans, who
admitted that the bombing might have been a
mistake, took him away, claiming that they were
going to treat his wounds, he was transported to
Guantánamo instead. "Now it has been two and
one-half years that I have been detained here and
I do not why," Mohibullah wrote. "Even the
interrogators have still not told me what my
crime was and why they detained me."

The third Afghan -- the one who was captured in
the street -- is Azimullah. Just 20 years old at
the time, he explained to his tribunal in
Guantánamo that he was captured near a madrassa
(religious school), where he was studying. He was
accused of acting "as a guide to a group of
individuals attacking the Salerno Fire Base" (a
US base), but he said that he didn't know
anything about this group, or about allegations
that they had "weapons, surveillance equipment
(cameras and binoculars) and radios," or that he
"met with an Arab man and an Afghan man who gave
him money prior to the attack." Asked about the
circumstances of his arrest, he said that he was
walking towards the village with a man named
Salim, whom he did not know previously, but whom
he had met "on the way going to the village,"
when a group of Afghan soldiers "saw us and
arrested us." He explained that he was not told
why he was arrested at the time, but that "when
they took me to the base," where he was handed
over to the US military, "they told me that I
attacked them and that I did this and this."

The story of the released Libyan, Abu Sufian
Hamouda, is rather more complicated. Hamouda, who
is 48 years old, was a refugee from his homeland.
According to the US military's "evidence,"
accumulated over the last five years, he had
served in the Libyan army as a tank driver from
1979 to 1990, but was "arrested and jailed on
multiple occasions for drug and alcohol
offenses." Having apparently escaped from prison
in 1992, he fled to Sudan, where he worked as a
truck driver. In an attempt to beef up the
evidence against him, the Department of Defense
alleged that the company he worked for, the Wadi
al-Aqiq company, was "owned by Osama bin Laden,"
and also attempted to claim that he joined the
Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, a militant group
opposed to the rule of Colonel Gaddafi, even
while admitting that an unidentified
"al-Qaeda/LIFG facilitator" had described him as
"a noncommittal LIFG member who received no training."

After relocating to Pakistan, Hamouda apparently
stayed there until the summer of 2001, when he
and a friend crossed the border into Afghanistan,
traveling to Jalalabad and then to Kabul, where
Hamouda found a job working as an accountant for
Abdul Aziz al-Matrafi, the director of al-Wafa, a
Saudi charity which provided humanitarian aid to
Afghans, but which was regarded by the US
authorities as a front for al-Qaeda. Over the
years, dozens of Guantanamo detainees were tarred
as terrorists because of their associations with
al-Wafa. The majority have now been released, but
one of those who remains in Guantánamo,
little-known and barely reported, is al-Matrafi,
who was kidnapped on a flight from Pakistan to Saudi Arabia in November 2001.

It's difficult to ascertain whether there is any
truth in the allegations that al-Wafa was a front
for al-Qaeda. According to the "evidence" against
Hamouda, "Members of the Taliban would frequently
visit the al-Wafa office in Kabul and had
dealings with the director of that office," which
was hardly surprising, as the Taliban was the
government at the time. Less clear is the claim
that, according to various accounts, including a
statement allegedly made by Hamouda, "the
director of the al-Wafa office was connected to
al-Qaeda and knew Osama bin Laden." Even setting
aside the dubious circumstances under which this
"confession" was produced, other detainees have
claimed that bin Laden was actually suspicious of
al-Wafa, because of its Saudi links.

What's apparent, however, is that Hamouda's
involvement with the organization centered on its
humanitarian work, as another "allegation," which
actually had nothing to do with terrorism, made
clear. In the "evidence" presented for his
Combatant Status Review Tribunal, under factors
purporting to demonstrate that he "supported
military operations against the United States or
its coalition partners," it was stated that,
while working for al-Wafa, he traveled to Kunduz
"to oversee the distribution of rice that was
being guarded by four to five armed guards." In
Guantánamo, it seems, even the distribution rice
can be regarded as a component in a military operation.

Captured in Islamabad, after fleeing from
Afghanistan following the US-led invasion,
Hamouda was held for a month by the Pakistani
authorities, and was then handed over to the
Americans, who began mining him for the flimsy
"evidence" of terrorist activities outlined
above. Earlier this year, he was cleared for
release, and, despite misgivings on the part of
his lawyers, stated that he was prepared to
return to Libya, even though what awaits him may
not be any better than what he was suffered over
the last five years. Perhaps, as one of
Guantánamo's truly lost men, he has decided that,
if he is to spend the rest of his life in prison
for no apparent reason, he would rather be in
Libya, where his wife and his family might be
able to see him, than in Guantánamo, where, like
every other detainee, he was more isolated from
his relatives than even the deadliest convicted
mass murderer on the US mainland.

The last of the eight, Ali Mohammed Nasir
Mohammed, was 19 years old when he was seized by
Pakistani soldiers and delivered to the US
military in December 2001. Slightly evasive in
his tribunal, he said that he went to Afghanistan
to "look around to see how the people were
doing," and added, "In my imagination I thought I
was going to see many centers with a lot of
guards in them and I would see a lot of Muslims.
I would find out how the Muslims were worshipping
and what they do." He admitted, however, that he
attended a training camp for 40-45 days and also
admitted that he had worked for the Taliban,
although he said that he had worked only in the
kitchens or as a guard behind the front lines,
and had not participated in military operations
against the US-led coalition, telling his
tribunal, "I have never shot one bullet in my
life." After escaping from Afghanistan by passing
through the Tora Bora region to reach Pakistan,
he was captured by Pakistani soldiers after
asking directions to the Yemeni embassy.

What makes his story unusual is that, once the
Pentagon had decided that it was not worth
holding onto a cook for the Taliban who clearly
knew nothing about al-Qaeda, confusion over his
identity prevented his release for 16 months.
Back in May 2006, as the Washington Post
described it four months ago, "He got a checkup.
His photo was taken, as were his fingerprints. He
was measured for clothes and shoes, then offered
a meeting with the Red Cross. As the Pentagon
tersely put it later in an e-mail to his
attorneys: 'Your client has been approved to
leave Guantánamo.'" However, as his lawyer,
Martha Rayner, explained, "He never went home."
"Stuck," as the Post article went on, "in a limbo
of mistaken identities, bureaucratic inertia and
official neglect," his case was "an indictment of
a system, still cloaked in the strictest secrecy
and largely beyond accountability, in which a man
who face[d] no charge and no sentence remain[ed]
deprived of the freedom he was granted" in May
2006. "It's a lovely illustration of what happens
when there's no oversight of the jailer," Rayner noted, acutely.

The Washington Post article went on to describe
what had happened to prevent Mohammed's release
for 16 months. Although he was born in Saudi
Arabia and had been living there before his
all-advised trip to Afghanistan, he was regarded
as a Yemeni, under both Yemeni and Saudi law,
because his parents are from the Yemen, where
they still live, and Mohammed had a Yemeni
passport and grew up there. What particular
confused matters was the fact that the US
military regarded Mohammed as a Saudi, and while
the Saudi authorities washed their hands of him,
and the Yemeni government said that it was
"unaware of his case," he languished in
Guantánamo for another 16 months, imprisoned in
Camp Six, where even cleared detainees are held
in solitary confinement, until a new arrangement could be made.

As these eight men finally leave Guantánamo after
five years or more in US custody without charge
or trial, their cases clearly do nothing to
salvage the administration's reputation for
illegal incompetence. And it can only get worse.
Of the 335 detainees still held in Guantánamo,
the government has admitted that it only intends
to put forward around 80 for trial by Military
Commission. Of the remaining 255, at least 70,
like the men just released, have been cleared for
release (some for two years or more), and despite
the administration's blustering this summer that
it intended to hold dozens of others indefinitely
because, in another revolutionary legal twist,
they are too dangerous to be released, but not
dangerous enough to be charged, it now seems
inevitable that they too will eventually be given
their freedom. Even if the 80 proposed trials go
ahead, which is extremely unlikely, it must
surely be impossible for the architects of this
disaster to claim that an 11% success rate is
sufficient justification for the moral, ethical,
judicial, and financial cost of an operation that
has been manifestly revealed not as the
triumphant prison wing of the "War on Terror" but
as an inept, cruel, degrading and ultimately failed experiment.

Andy Worthington is a British historian, and the
author of
'<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>The
Guantánamo Files: The Stories of the 774
Detainees in America's Illegal Prison' (to be
published by Pluto Press in October 2007).
He can be reached at:
<mailto:andy at andyworthington.co.uk>andy at andyworthington.co.uk