[Ppnews] Rod Coronado and how new laws are equating environmentalists with Al Qaeda

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 31 11:30:13 EDT 2007

The green scare

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/article.php?id=5783

The story of Rod Coronado and how new laws are
equating environmentalists with Al Qaeda

by Dean Kuipers

It's only appropriate, perhaps, that the future
of the First Amendment takes shape in a hippie
law office in San Francisco's North Beach
district, surrounded by strippers. A light April
rain falls on furtive patrons of the Lusty Lady
and the Roaring 20s on the street below as
legendary radical environmentalist Rodney
Coronado sits in a conference room in the Pier 5
Law Offices, strategizing with some of this
country's finest civil-rights attorneys.

Coronado's no stranger to this scenario, having
emerged only days before from his second stretch
in federal prison, this time for eight months. He
listens attentively, his dark Yaqui Indian
heritage shining through as he munches on a
veggie burrito. The glow on his fiancée Chrysta's
face says everything you'd need to know about how
good it is to be out. But the joy may be
short-lived. Now Coronado is caught up in a
prosecution he never could have foreseen and
which has the environmentalist community, in
particular, digging in for a long fight with the federal government.

That's because his alleged crime doesn't involve
something he actually did. Rather, it only involves something he said.

In 2003, Coronado gave a public speech about
animal rights in Hillcrest attended by about 100
people and hosted by a vegetarian group. It was,
he says, his "standard" speech at the time,
talking about his own extreme efforts to protect
wildlife, including a 1991-92 arson campaign
against fur farms as an agent of the Animal
Liberation Front (ALF), for which he served 57
months in prison. During a Q&A period after the
speech, someone asked him how he once made his
incendiary devices. Having long retired from that
kind of action, and having paid for it with
prison time, he answered the question.

U.S. attorneys now say Coronado's brief
response­the actual words themselves­is a federal
crime. Not only that, it's terrorism.

And that word­"terrorism"­is new to the
environmental movement when it comes to
punishment for crimes. The word "eco-terrorist"
was coined in 1982 by Ron Arnold, a prime mover
in the anti-environmentalist "Wise Use Movement,"
but only recent laws make ecologically motivated
speech a terrorist crime. The attorneys aren't
even totally certain how it works. I ask the
question, cognizant that Coronado and his fiancée
are in the room, and opinions fly. Ben Rosenfeld,
from the offices of famed attorney Dennis
Cunningham, says the government's plea offer,
which they turned down, was 21 months. Tony
Serra, the silver-haired lion who is a resident
of these offices and who has successfully
championed everyone from Black Panther Huey
Newton to the Hells Angels to Earth First!er Judi
Bari, says he always figures the judge could go twice the offer, so 42 months.

But Jerry Singleton, the attorney who is
defending Coronado's case in federal district
court in San Diego, shakes his head.

"The government is holding out that there's this
bogeyman," says Singleton, who is based in San
Diego. "They're saying that the guidelines, which
would put him at, I think, 18 years, would be the
ones that apply. Those were post-9/11." That stuns the room for a minute.

"I don't think those sentencing guidelines are
applicable in this case, not the way it's been
charged," opines another Pier 5 attorney, Omar Figueroa.

"Well, there's an argument that they are," says
Singleton, shooting a look at Coronado. "They're trying to use them."

Eighteen years would be a shocking sentence for a
speech, even if Coronado were the only one facing
time like this, but he's got company. Since 2005,
the government has brought more than 20 cases
against environmentalists that have not only
redefined free speech, but also redefined
environmentally motivated property
destruction­like torching Hummers or tree-felling
equipment­as being on a par with the murderous assaults of Al Qaeda.

On May 21, a federal judge in Oregon announced
she was sentencing 10 animal activists there as
"terrorists" for burning SUVs, among other
crimes, under post-9/11 revisions of the federal
sentencing guidelines that can add as much as 20
years to a sentence if the crime was meant to
coerce or influence the government. Singleton
says he's not sure how this will apply to
Coronado's case, since the Oregon defendants
sentenced thus far have pleaded guilty to actual
arson­not just talking about arson. But Lauren
Regan, an attorney representing the defendants in
the Oregon cases, says this landmark ruling has
redefined terrorism, saying: "The unintended
consequences of this judge's ruling is that
anyone who damages property opens themselves up
to a terrorism prosecution. They burned SUVs on a
private car lot, never physically injuring
anybody; to think that's equal to killing 168
people in Oklahoma City is a stretch."

Twenty eco-radicals on trial might not sound like
a lot, but it's almost as many as had been
arrested for major crimes in the 18 years
previous, while 1,200 known attacks by ALF or its
younger twin, the Earth Liberation Front, caused
as much as $200 million in damages. It is
important to note that no persons have ever been
injured or killed in these attacks, but industry
lobbying groups have forced the government to
make prosecuting them a top priority.

Environmentalists are calling it the "green
scare," in reference to the "red scare" that
characterized the hunt for communists during the
McCarthy era. The wave of prosecutions have sent
a shock through the part of the movement that
engages in direct action, like activists
bicycle-locking themselves to bulldozers.

In another case in New Jersey, six activists were
given sentences as long as six years for running
a website that posted information about vandalism
attacks­without connecting them to the vandalism
in any way. In the meantime, even the
Democratic-controlled Congress keeps ratcheting
up the laws, passing in November the Animal
Enterprise Terrorism Act, which makes attacks
against the profits of animal-based industries, once again, terrorism.

"You have to look at Rod's case in conjunction
with the whole spate of vindictive cases that the
government has been bringing against radical
environmentalists, who the government carelessly
lumps in with terrorists, and members of ELF or
ALF and sometimes just anarchists," says
Rosenfeld. "The government has been on record as
admitting it's made a domestic priority out of
going after this movement writ large."

True enough, the U.S. Department of Justice has
said in congressional testimony since at least
1999 that it considered ALF and ELF to be "top
priorities" in the fight against domestic
terrorism. But that has never included people who
make animal-rights websites. Or widely published
activist leaders like Coronado who make speeches.
Until now. Rosenfeld says he's started to field
concerned calls from other environmental groups.

"It is having a huge chilling impact on people,"
he adds. "The government has shown its
willingness to go after people based purely on
speech and ideology. People don't know anymore
what they can safely even say, let alone what
they can safely do. This is at complete variance
with what most people believe is protected activity."

Boom! Just like that

The facts of what Rodney Coronado did and said in
San Diego are not in dispute. On Aug. 1, 2003, he
rose in the pre-dawn darkness at the offices of
the Earth First! Journal in Tucson, where he was
crashing, and boarded an early plane to San
Diego. He was only 36 years old but could have
been considered, even then, an elder spokesman of
the radical movement, having been involved with
groups like Earth First!, the Sea Shepherds and
ALF since he was 18. He was met at the airport by
David Agranoff, his host, then 29, who had
invited him to speak that evening as one of a
series of events Agranoff's vegan advocacy group
was calling "Revolution Summer."

Despite the name, Agranoff and his cohorts were
hardly the stuff of violent overthrow. Agranoff
is a laughing, easygoing horror fiction writer
and a teacher of kids with autism, and the four
or five people in the group, including his wife,
called themselves Compassion for Farm Animals.
"Mostly what we did was pass out dairy-free ice
cream in Balboa Park, maintain our website and do
community potluck dinners. That was our terrorism," Agranoff chuckles.

And Coronado himself was, as he insists, retired
from felony action. After finishing a long stint
in prison in 1999, and having a son who needed
his daddy, he was no longer available for
fur-shop smashups or arson or other major
offenses. He was, he says, satisfied with being a
spokesman for the movement and maybe
participating in marches or civil disobedience­nothing more.

Someone else in town, however, was using more
hardcore tactics. Before Coronado's plane arrived
in San Diego that morning, a huge blaze began at
an unfinished, but controversial, 206-unit La
Jolla condominium complex that caused $50 million
in damages. Four hundred people had to be
evacuated from nearby homes. A banner hung at the
site read: "If you build it, we will burn it. The E.L.F.s are mad."

Agranoff and Coronado claim they never heard
about the fire until around 6 p.m., when they
went to The Center, a gay and lesbian community
complex in Hillcrest, for the planned talk and
were met there by reporters who filled them in.
Coronado says he had "no goddamn idea" who
started the fire but gave them some remarks about
arson as a tactic. To one reporter, he said, "I
would rather see an apartment complex burn to the
ground than developers making money off the
environment." The feds have never charged him with involvement in the fire.

"Anybody who did that arson knew that the last
thing they should be doing was hanging out where
I was," says Coronado. "Because they knew that
the feds were going to be all over my shit."

Coronado assumes that agents regularly attended
his talks, and it seems they did; agents later
subpoenaed and questioned people who attended
that lecture after allegedly recording their
license plate numbers outside. But he made a
practice of never toning down his lectures.

"I'm not going to sanitize my speeches for fear
of throwing them a bone," he says. "Let them
listen. I was pretty known for a standard lecture
about animal and earth liberation, Deep Ecology,
and then contexting it within my own personal
experiences, with my own Native American heritage."

Coronado had delivered this talk scores of times,
all over the world. In it, he recounted selected
bits of his own history as examples of what he
considered non-violent action in defense of
threatened wildlife. He grew up as a middle-class
kid in San Jose, hunting and fishing and learning
about his Yaqui ancestry. But his
monkey-wrenching became legendary in 1986, when
he and another sailor from oceangoing radicals
the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society sank two
unmanned Icelandic whaling vessels in Reykjavik
Harbor. Later, in 1989, he began a video
investigation of fur farming with a partner,
Jonathan Paul, the footage from which was used in
a 60 Minutes segment. In 1990, he helped launch
"Operation Bite Back," a sweeping campaign that
torched fur farms and research laboratories in
Oregon, Washington, Michigan and Utah, causing
millions in damages. Eventually, after two years
underground in mountain cabins and Indian
reservations, Coronado was caught living on a
Yaqui reservation outside Tucson and sentenced in
1995 to 57 months in prison for burning a
Michigan State University animal-research lab.

This was the apex of Coronado's life as an
arsonist. Living on the lam and in prison,
Coronado says, led him through a series of
spiritual and strategic epiphanies. Over the
years, his cast of personal heroes had expanded
to include not only Gandhi and the Rev. Martin
Luther King Jr., but also the Apache warrior
Geronimo, but he knew armed resistance was not
his destiny. He vowed, though, to always speak
out in defense of wilderness and wildlife.

Agranoff says about 100 people were at the San
Diego talk, and he was thrilled. "Usually, we'd
get about 15 people. We'd publicized the hell out
of this." It was a public event, and he didn't
know most of the attendees. Finally, someone
asked a question: How did you build the
incendiary device you used in Michigan?

Coronado never missed a beat. He'd answered this
before. Trying to recall his wording, he says
now: "I was like, ‘Oh, well, I did this: I made a
crude incendiary device'­and I walked over to a
table where we had the food set up, grabbed an
apple-juice jug, saying, "a device like this,"
and then I turned around, there was a chalkboard
behind me, and I made a really brief line drawing
of how an electronic circuit works: here's the
battery, here's the timer, here's the igniter.
And then you create a circuit, and that ignites
underneath this [the jug, which would have been
full of a mix of gasoline and motor oil] and­boom! Just like that."

Boom. Got that? No, evidently nobody else did,
either, because no known person ever made a bomb
from the instructions Coronado gave that night.
The feds waited two and a half years to make sure
and then arrested him anyway, in February 2006.
Agranoff remembers the description as being even
less detailed, saying Coronado never drew it on
any chalkboard. "No, he didn't draw a diagram. He
just kinda quickly answered the question and moved on," he says.

That night, Coronado hopped on a bus to Los
Angeles to give another version of his standard
speech at a big annual animal-rights conference.
In San Diego, however, his words were lingering.

Criminalizing speech

Under 18 USC § 842(p)(2)(A), which was introduced
by Sen. Dianne Feinstein and co-sponsored by Sen.
Joseph Biden, "It shall be unlawful for any
person to teach or demonstrate the making or use
of an explosive, a destructive device, or a
weapon of mass destruction, or to distribute by
any means information pertaining to, in whole or
in part, the manufacture or use of an explosive,
destructive device, or weapon of mass
destruction, with the intent that the teaching,
demonstration, or information be used for, or in
furtherance of, an activity that constitutes a federal crime of violence."

That's the whole law under which Coronado is
charged. It was meant to get bomb-making
instructions off of the Internet, where they are
widely available. The troubling word, here,
though, is "intent." Ben Rosenfeld can't see how
the government can claim Coronado intended anyone
in San Diego to commit a federal crime.
Commenting on Coronado's case in a widely
distributed 2006 legal essay, he writes: "Make no
mistake. This is a pure free speech case.
Measured against any historic test of free
speech, Coronado's behavior­that is to say, his
speech­was alarmingly innocuous and uncriminal [his emphasis]."

Two days after the speech, Agranoff and his pals
returned from a planned non-violent demonstration
at a Norco dairy farm to find their van was gone
and their house had been ransacked by the feds.
Eventually, Agranoff and many others were dragged
in front of a grand jury, which was convened to
investigate the fire but which ended up mostly
asking questions about Rod Coronado. Agranoff's
house was raided again, this time when he was
present, as was the home of another activist,
Michael Cardenas, and the only things taken were
videotapes of Coronado's speech. Neither tape,
however, showed the question-and-answer period.

Agranoff and fellow activists Danae Kelly and
Nicole Fink refused to speak to the grand jury
and were jailed for about 80 days each on contempt charges.

"I'm perfectly willing to testify," says
Agranoff, "because there's nothing I can say that
would hurt Rod. But I'm not going to do it in a
secret proceeding. They have to do this in open court."

San Diego U.S. Attorney Carol Lam­who was later
fired by Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, which
hasn't affected the case­announced Coronado's
indictment on Feb. 22, 2006, in a press release
that seemed to purposely conflate Coronado's
speech and the fire he didn't commit.

"Teaching people how to build explosives in order
to commit violent crimes is unacceptable in
civilized society," she is quoted. This is
followed by a quote from agent John Torres of the
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and
Explosives (ATF), who says, "When organizations
such as ELF/ALF engage in these senseless acts of
violence, it threatens us all. ATF will continue
to aggressively pursue these types of cases and
bring this type of criminal activity to a halt."

"What strikes me as being so wrong about this
statute is that there's no requirement that there
be any kind of agreement between the person
furnishing the information and the listeners,
either explicit or implicit," says Singleton. As
such, he sees it as protected speech. In his
view, it fails the historic test for incitement,
which requires intent and/or imminent action.

There are only three exceptions to free speech,
as carved out by the Supreme Court:

• "Fighting words"­the direct incitement to violence

• Obscenity

• The exception for "clear and present danger."

Ben Rosenfeld, in his essay on Coronado's case,
feels none of these applies to this speech. In
the case of "clear and present danger," for
instance, he notes that Supreme Court Judge
William Brandeis wrote: "If there be time to
expose through discussion the falsehood and
fallacies, to avert the evil by the process of
education, the remedy to be applied is more
speech, not enforced silence." In other words, if
someone has time to think about the crime, the
speech describing it does not represent a clear and present danger.

"[This is] really asking the court to outlaw a
type of speech that has never been outlawed
before," says Singleton. He filed a motion to
throw out the Feinstein law as unconstitutional,
but the judge declined earlier this year. "All
the case law talks about is an individual having
criminal liability for aiding and abetting in the
commission of another substantive crime. Or if
you are inciting violence to such a degree­crying
‘fire' in a crowded theater­that harm is
imminent. That's the Brandenburg test," Singleton adds.

If this statute stands, however, the government
is saying the standards established by the 1969
Supreme Court case, Brandenburg v. Ohio, are
outflanked; no imminent crime is needed anymore.
In fact, as in Coronado's case, no substantive
crime need ever occur. It is, literally, a speech crime.

U.S. attorneys prosecuting Coronado's case are
unable to comment on the question of intent, but
the FBI's San Diego spokesperson, April Langwell,
says via e-mail: "By definition, Domestic
Terrorism is the unlawful use, or threatened use
[emphasis hers], of violence by a group or
individuals
. Mr. Coronado has the right to
establish and organize an advocacy group
. He
does not have the right to teach others how to
instill fear and destroy property in our community."

Actually, he does. Or, at least, he used to.

"Certainly, the law has not changed since the
Brandenburg case those many years ago," says
James Wheaton, senior counsel with the First
Amendment Project in Oakland. Although he
cautions that free-speech cases are extremely
detailed and one shouldn't generalize, he adds,
"Mr. Coronado, if I understand it, made a speech
in a public place and responded to a question. I
think it will be difficult for them to establish
that he, at the time he made that speech,
intended that somebody act upon it immediately.
And they will have to establish that."

The new terrorism

Coronado is finding out right now exactly how far
the government is willing to go to make this case.

The sprawling Oregon case includes 65 different
counts of arson and conspiracy related to 18
different incidents of environmentally motivated
sabotage in the Northwest, and charged to 13
defendants, plus two other related defendants
charged in Washington state. All but one of the
incidents were attacks on private property or
companies, not government facilities. Jonathan
Paul, for instance, is charged with being the
lookout at a fire that burned a horse
slaughterhouse in 1997. Another activist, Suzanne
"India" Savoie, allegedly served as a lookout for
a 2001 fire that gutted the offices of a lumber mill.

"This is the first time in the history of the
United States that the federal government is
seeking this enhancement for property crimes that
did not result in injury or death to humans­to
equate property destruction with terrorism," says Lauren Regan.

The sentencing enhancements, Regan explains, were
never intended for this purpose. Add-ons of up to
20 years were available in cases of international
terrorism but then extended to domestic acts
after the Oklahoma City bombing by the 1996
Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act.
Still, the added time pertained to acts that
caused bodily injury or death to humans, or
threatened federal infrastructure like the power
grid or waterways. That all changed with the 2001
USA Patriot Act. Under that law, a judge may add
decades if "the offense was calculated to
influence or affect the conduct of government" or
"was calculated to intimidate or coerce a civilian population."

If these enhancements apply to acts of
private-property destruction­or, in the case of
Coronado, merely talking about how property is
destroyed­what, then, are the limits of
"influence"? Protests, another form of talking,
are meant to "influence" the government. So is
democratic debate. What if Oprah goes on a
campaign for cruelty-free cosmetics?

"When everyone is a terrorist, no one is," says
Regan. "The further we broaden the language of
what a true terrorist is, the less security we
really do have. If a monkey-wrencher is the same
as Osama bin Laden, where is the distinction drawn?"

Jerry Singleton and other attorneys agree with
her but worry about the political climate. These
Oregon cases, as well as Coronado's, have been
orchestrated by a Bush administration starved for
political victories. The prevailing thought is
that at least one of these cases will go to the
Supreme Court, where its reception is wholly uncertain.

The first cases to get that far might be the New
Jersey cases, which involved six activists who
called themselves Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty,
or SHAC, and who openly sought to put the major
animal-testing corporation, Huntingdon Life
Sciences, out of business. Their crime consisted
of putting the time and location of legal
protests and personal information about company
employees on a website. Several of the employees
were victims of irritating vandalism, including
having their windows smashed and even cars
overturned­but none of these acts were connected
to the SHAC defendants themselves. They were committed by persons unknown.

SHAC's attorney, Andrew Erba, was stunned last
September, when the activists were given
sentences of up to six years in federal prison
under the 1992 Animal Enterprise Protection Act.

"The truth is, if you carry this forward, this
logic, almost any group that does activist
activities, particularly using the Internet, is
in terrible shape," says Erba. "The government
took the position that the various postings on
the website
 incited people to take action. But,
absent the proof of imminent action, you really
can't just prosecute ideas. It's unconstitutional."

"Now, they've just criminalized running an
above-ground campaign," says Jerry Vlasak, a
trauma surgeon and spokesman with the North
American Animal Liberation Press Office, who does
exactly what Coronado has done for years: talk to
the press. "All this is going to do is drive
people underground. And chances are [they] won't get caught for that."

Test case: Sherman Austin

Sherman Austin is the only person who has been
jailed under the statute being used against
Coronado. On Jan. 24, 2002, when he was 18 years
old, he was napping at the Sherman Oaks home he
shared with his single mom, his twin sister and
his brother, when FBI and Secret Service agents
with assault rifles drawn swarmed the house. They
were looking for the computers that held Austin's website, Raisethefist.com.

Austin is a bright, dreadlocked African-American
kid who was politicized by meeting lots of
anti-corporate anarchists protesting L.A.'s
Democratic National Convention in 2000. Austin
says he's neither a "green" nor a "red"
anarchist, and it's just as correct to call him a
socialist or "libertarian socialist." One look at
his website would reveal that his image of the
anarchist is one engaged in liberation struggles
like those of the Zapatistas in Chiapas; plus
there is lots of info on L.A. area
police-brutality cases like the videotaped
beating of 16-year-old African American Donovan
Chavez in Inglewood. The imagery on the site is
pretty sensationalistic­it looks a lot like Fox
News. He also used to offer free hosting for
other activists. One of them posted a document called the Reclaim Guide.

The guide was an amateurish manual prepared for a
protest against the International Monetary Fund
that never happened because of 9/11. The entirety
of its "smoke bomb" recipe, for example, reads:
"Mix 4 parts sugar with 6 parts salt peter. Heat
this over a low flame until it melts, stirring
well. Pour into a container. When pouring place a
few wooden matches into it for a fuse. About a
pound of this will smoke up an entire block."

"I looked at the Reclaim Guide but never thought
much of it," says Austin. "It didn't seem like it
was that big of a deal. You could get this kind
of information at any number of white supremacist and neo-Nazi websites."

Instead of warning Austin to remove the material,
the FBI had him and his family under surveillance
for months. Then, in August 2002, federal
prosecutors began offering him a plea deal on 18
USC § 842(p)(2)(A). Austin's mother, Jennifer
Martin Ruggiero, was astonished at the
government's attempt to turn her son into a terrorist.

"I don't care about anarchism. He can be an
anarchist," Martin says. "I care about violence.
And I know Sherman is non-violent. That's part of his politics."

Weeks before any plea negotiations began, the FBI
interviewed the kid who actually wrote and posted
the Reclaim Guide, a white teenager from Orange
County. In his FBI interviews, he admitted the
work was his. But the feds called Austin the "author" anyway.

"I told the FBI at least seven different times
when they questioned me at my house, if I'd
authored this information, and I told them no," says Austin.

A federal probation officer preparing
pre-sentencing reports on Austin's case assured
his public defender that the federal terrorism
sentencing guidelines would not apply, so Austin
opted for a trial. After months of haggling,
however, the government seemed to get peeved. The
probation officer did a new pre-sentencing report
and announced that the terror guidelines would,
indeed, apply and could add 15 to 20 years to his
sentence. Austin signed the plea. The judge then
broke the plea agreement and gave him a year in
prison, where he had to be isolated after
receiving persistent death threats from the Aryan Brotherhood.

"That's what it's all about­free speech," says
Austin. "Because if it was just about explosives,
they'd have plenty of other websites to go after.
I mean, Raisethefist.com wasn't a website you'd
go to if you wanted to know how to build a bomb."

No. For that, you'd probably go to The Anarchist
Cookbook, which is available every day on that radical website, Amazon.com.

Get a new spokesman

Hours after meeting the lawyers, Coronado sits in
a late-night Berkeley coffee shop, wishing
Chrysta hadn't heard that bit about getting more years in prison.

"Part of me didn't want Chrysta to hear it," he
says. "To have me back now, after eight hard
months in prison, and to be hearing another
possible three or four years­or more­and only a
few months from now. That's hard to hear."

The case against him is "a stretch," he says.
"But at the same time," he adds, "I've already
been convicted of two past, quote,
‘ecoterrorism'-related offenses. The last thing I
want to do is be talking to the jury about how I didn't do this third thing."

His second felony offense was something of a
fluke, but it has put the fear into Coronado. In
keeping with his plan to only do
civil-disobedience-like actions, Coronado has
been keeping a low profile in Tucson and not even
acting as a spokesman anymore. In 2003, he was
helping to organize a chapter of Earth First! in
Tucson when he participated in the dismantling of
a mountain lion trap in popular Sabino Canyon
park, believing this was a misdemeanor offense.
Because the federal government considers him a
serious threat, however, they re-jiggered the
prosecution into a felony and sent him away for
eight months. At his trial, Assistant U.S.
Attorney Wallace Kleindienst argued that Coronado
"is a danger to the community
. I know he wasn't
tried here for being a violent anarchist. This
trial wasn't about Rod Coronado being a terrorist, but he is one."

He got out of prison again just in time to take
his 5-year-old son to the ritual deer dances on
the Pascua Yaqui reservation south of Tucson. His
priority now, he says, is to take care of that
boy and Chrysta's 4-year-old daughter, and while
he knows the younger hotheads in the movement
might dismiss him as a sellout, he's hoping
they'll offer him one final gesture of respect and find a new spokesman.

"I don't want to do that role anymore," he says
of eco-radicalism. "I would like to see that
people understand that the struggle for me is
about simpler things. The greatest goal of my
revolution now is simply to have a family! Ha-ha!
If I can't make real, in my own life, my
principles and beliefs, then what chance is there
of them ever expanding outward to the greater world?"

Got something to say? E-mail us at
<mailto:editor at sdcitybeat.com>editor at sdcitybeat.com.

05-30-07