[Ppnews] Joint Statement from the San Francisco Eight

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 22 10:46:26 EDT 2007

http://www.cdhrsupport.org/SF8statement.html

Joint Statement from the San Francisco Eight

We, the San Francisco 8, would like to send this
joint statement extending our heartfelt gratitude
and appreciation to all our friends and
supporters. As many of you know, this COINTELPRO
persecution has been on-going for nearly 36
years. However, in the last few years, in accord
with the implementation of the Patriot Act, state
and federal authorities initiated plans to stifle
political dissent, particularly targeting young
activists. Similarly, COINTELPRO's objective was
to "
 expose, disrupt, misdirect, discredit, or
otherwise neutralize the activities of Black
nationalist, hate type organizations and
groupings, their leadership, spokesmen,
membership, and supporters, and to counter their
propensity for violence and civil disorder
"
(COINTELPRO memo of August 25, 1967).

The FBI not only targeted the Black Panther
Party, but according to this COINTELPRO memo:
"Intensified attention under this program should
be afforded to the activities of such groups as
the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee,
the Southern Christian Leadership Conference,
Revolutionary Action Movement, the Deacons for
Defense and Justice, Congress of Racial Equality,
and the Nation of Islam. Particular emphasis
should be given to extremists who direct the
activities and policies of revolutionary or
militant groups such as Stokely Carmichael, H.
"Rap" Brown, Elijah Muhammad, and Maxwell
Stanford." By March 4, 1968, COINTELPRO was in
full operation leading to directing its full
attention to the Black Panther Party when it came
into existence in October 1968, to prohibit the
BPP from developing durable long-term political
and organizational relationships with various segments of the Black community.

This case represents the continuation of that
COINTELPRO objective, to further indicate how the
government will persecute today's activists. The
government is seeking to rewrite the history of
struggle as exemplified by the BPP, venomously
trying to define that legacy of struggle as a "terrorist" movement.

We vehemently reject that labeling, as the
government attempts to characterize the San
Francisco 8 as "terrorists," "criminals," and
"wanton killers." They will never say the SF8
were political activists and progressive
civil/human rights organizers. They will never
say they sought to relieve the community of all
forms of state sponsored terrorism that is often
found in Black, Asian and Latino communities
today. They will never admit to the
unconstitutional practices of the FBI COINTELPRO
activities, despite the 1974 Senate Church
Committee findings condemning those practices.
Furthermore, they will never seek to establish
remedies for those who are victims of the illegal
FBI and local police actions under COINTELPRO,
and now under the Patriot Act, if we don't demand they do so.

It is with this understanding the SF8 are issuing
this joint statement, calling for friends and
supporters to organize a national determination
to ensure our victory. Ours will be a victory
against fear and state terrorism; it will be a
defeat against state torture tactics, threats and coercion.

This case and our call for action will teach
today's activists what to expect from the state
in its efforts to suppress dissent and protest of
government repression. Indeed, this task will
forward a broader understanding of what happened
in the Movement of the 60s and 70s, and how
COINTELPRO disrupted and destroyed the most
viable Black political party that emerged out of
the civil rights movement. Ultimately, what is
here proposed will tell of a youth movement and
how the government sought to undermine and
destroy it. The proposal will expose how the
government seeks to retaliate because those youth
(who are now Elders) did in fact challenge the
system of racist oppression. They not only
challenged oppressive conditions in our
collective communities, but also worked to
support all oppressed peoples fighting against
colonialism and imperialism at that time.

This case evolves out of a history of political
struggle in this country, and it is our duty to
fulfill that mission by expressing what happened
then, and COINTELPRO's negative impact on today's
social movements. Therefore, while we engage in a
legal battle in the courtroom, it is imperative
we urge our friends and supporters to extend the
political front in the various communities. We
must reach out to the various street
organizations and youth groups, the animal and
earth liberation groups, women's rights and LGBT
forums, the immigration rights struggles, and the
many ethnic communities who are struggling for a better life in this country.

Hence, the course of the overall struggle to win
the release of the San Francisco 8 requires a
broad political determination, reaching beyond
the important legal issues of the case. For
example, the question of torture, COINTELPRO, and
matters of reconciliation are essential to this
case. Therefore, a successful national campaign
in support of the SF8 requires friends and
supporters to achieve the following objectives:

1. Anti-Torture Legislation:

In 1909, the Niagara Movement evolved into the
NAACP led by W.E.B. Dubois. The principal
platform of the NAACP at that time was a struggle
to forge an anti-lynching movement. Today,
torture in its many forms has become a scourge in
America: there is the inhumane use of restraint
chairs in jails and prisons, an especially
despicable device reminiscent of medieval torture
mechanisms; there has been an increase in use of
the taser as a weapon to induce confessions and
control prisoners, resulting in many deaths,
another inhumane torture device. In the case of
the SF8, law enforcement officers employed
similar torture techniques, including those used
in Vietnam and in Abu Ghraib by U.S. military
personnel. The use of torture permeates all
facets of the so-called "criminal justice system."

Obviously, like the old anti-lynching platform of
the NAACP, the San Francisco 8 call for a
national campaign demanding anti-torture
legislation on local levels (city councils and
state legislatures). The SF8 hold that any form
of interrogation that employs the use of water
boarding, simulated drowning techniques, cattle
prods, tasers, restraint chairs, physical
beatings, sensory and sleep deprivation, and
psychological coercion must be deemed inhumane
and criminal. Therefore, the San Francisco 8 call
for all progressive and peace loving people to
join in a national campaign on city, state and
congressional levels for proclamations and
legislation outlawing all forms of torture.

2. Reopen COINTELPRO Hearings:

It is well known that the FBI targeted the Black
Panther Party for annihilation under the secret
counter-intelligence program (COINTELPRO). The
FBI COINTELPRO effort resulted in the
assassination, criminalization, vilification, and
the splitting of the BPP leading to its
destruction, with many BPP members today
languishing in prisons. The FBI COINTELPRO
actions worked in alliance with police
departments across the country, and today, the
Patriot Act has legalized much of what were
illegal COINTELPRO practices. In 1974, the Senate
Church Committee investigating the illegal FBI
COINTELPRO activities declared such practices
unconstitutional. However, the Senate Church
Committee failed to create remedies for those who
suffered from the unconstitutional practices of
the FBI and police departments.

Subject to that reality, the San Francisco 8
hereby call for a national movement for the
reopening of COINTELPRO hearings. We, the SF8,
urge friends and supporters to phone/fax/write to
John Conyers, Chair of the Judiciary Committee in
Congress, and appeal for him to conduct public
hearings on why victims of COINTELPRO languish in
prison over 30 years after it was declared
unconstitutional. We, the SF8, ask friends and
supporters to contact your congressional
representative, Congressional Black Caucus
members and other elected officials urging them
to enable John Conyers to reopen COINTELPRO hearings.

3. Truth and Reconciliation Commission:

At the conclusion of hostilities in the struggle
to end apartheid in South Africa, many
progressive forces took a path to resolve
potential antagonisms subject to racial,
socioeconomic and political strife during the
decades of apartheid. That path led to the
creation of the Truth and Reconciliation
Commission, principally led by the Honorable Bishop Desmond Tutu.

In the United States, people of Afrikan descent
suffered the trauma of chattel slavery, Black
Codes, Jim Crow segregation laws, political
repression and state terrorism under the auspices
of COINTELPRO. However, unlike South Africa, at
no time has there been a national determination
to resolve political, social or economic
antagonisms born out of centuries/decades of
racial strife. In recent years, as a result of
the reparations movement, some corporations,
cities and states have issued apologies for
having been involved in the Atlantic slave trade.
Despite these apologies, the systemic inequities
prevail with devastating consequences on every
vestige of life confronting the majority of
people of Afrikan descent in America.

The San Francisco 8 understand that these
historic dynamics perpetuate social-cultural
determinants that inhibit the necessary
psychological inducements towards self-reliance
and self-determination. Therefore, we are calling
for progressive peoples to open dialogue and
begin the process towards organizing a national
Truth and Reconciliation Commission to address
these inequities. We believe such a Commission
could serve as a catalyst to forge substantial
resolutions to heal America's racial trauma.

In conclusion, it is these three areas of concern
we jointly agree will empower a national campaign
to virtually expose the negative impact of both
COINTELPRO and the Patriot Act. We call for all
progressive peoples in support of the San
Francisco 8 and all U.S. political prisoners to
find the means to organize committees and
coalitions to implement this proposal on local and national levels.

Again, we, the San Francisco 8, extend our
heartfelt appreciation for your solidarity and
support. Let us, together, build a sustainable
and durable initiative that redresses civil and
human rights violations, as we organize to win
the freedom of the San Francisco 8.

Free All U.S. Political Prisoners!
The San Francisco 8