[Ppnews] Jeffrey ‘Free’ Luers Prison Dispatch, February 16, 2007

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Feb 26 08:41:41 EST 2007

From:    freefreenow at mutualaid.org
Date:    Thu, February 22, 2007 1:33 pm
To:      freejeffluers at lists.riseup.net

Jeffrey ‘Free’ Luers Prison Dispatch, February 16, 2007

Thursday, February 15th was just like any other morning for me. I woke up
at six, went down to breakfast and ate with my friends. I came back to my
cell and turned on the morning news. My cellie went back to sleep,
covering his eyes from the light of the TV as I made a cup of coffee.

I had just started paying attention when the ticker at the bottom of the
screen read, ‘The man who set fire to three SUVs as an environmental
protest, will serve a shorter sentence than originally planned.’

‘That’s me,’ was my first thought. My second (and much louder) thought
was, ‘I won my appeal,’ I exclaimed, disturbing my cellie and waking our
neighbors.

My cellie looked to the TV as the screen continued, ‘The Court of Appeals
has ruled that Jeffrey Luers was improperly sentenced.’

‘That’s you!’ my cellie exclaimed, echoing my first thought and waking up
more neighbors. My cellie got out of bed as the ticker informed us ‘Luers
will be sent back to Lane County for re-sentencing.’

The neighbors started asking us to keep it down. My cellie turned to the
bars and shouted, ‘My cellie just won his appeal.’ And in a show of cheer
one can only find in prison, the morning silence was forsaken as everyone
started congratulating me.

I have spoken with my attorney and there are still many battles ahead.
Hard choices will have to be made. I am by no means close to walking out
of prison, just one step closer. This is a victory, and while my own
personal struggle is making headway others are just beginning.

On January 23 eight former Black Panthers (Ray Boudreaux, Richard Brown,
Hank Jones, Richard O’Neal, Harold Taylor, Francisco Torres, and Herman
Bell and Jalil Muntaqim ­ both of whom have been political prisoners since
1978) were arrested and charged with the 1971 killing of a police officer.
Taylor and Bowman were first charged in 1975. However, a judge threw the
case out after ruling that the men had been physically tortured and
coerced into giving confessions.

These men are not the only victims of an ongoing political witch-hunt
being conducted by the Bush Administration. The SHAC 7 are serving time
for maintaining a website. Rod Coronado is awaiting trial for publicly
discussing his role in an Animal Liberation Front campaign that he served
time for in the 90s.

Bush has recently, and very quietly, passed laws bringing the National
Guard under federal, instead of state, authority. He has enacted laws that
make it permissible to open the mail of US citizens without a warrant.
Laws are being passed nearly everyday eroding civil rights and granting
extraordinary police powers. The Bush Administration rules by creating
fear and then uses that fear to justify increased executive power and
excuse human rights violations and war crimes.

While Democrats discuss ‘non-binding’ resolutions on the Iraq war,
innocent Iraqis and US soldiers are dying. Dying for what? Another
imperialist war for oil!

Bush claims we are fighting to protect our freedom. He must not be
referring to the civil rights he has taken. Rather, he must mean the
freedom to be the world’s largest contributor to climate change; the right
to be the greediest nation in the world, consuming more of the world’s
resources than any other nation in history.

And now that human-caused global warming is acknowledged as a real threat,
what is being done? More debates and the same lack of action.

The American public has placed their faith in a Democratic controlled
congress and senate. Indeed, the Democrats may offer some solutions, but
they will never create social change. That task has historically fallen to
the people.

Generations of activists and revolutionaries have fought against corrupt
powers to create social change. Several generations of political prisoners
are still behind bars, and still the silent war wages on. While each
generation and each individual have faced their own struggles, making
sacrifices for their cause, each of us shares a dream. We all believed and
continue to believe that a better world is possible: One with justice,
equality, and freedom for all.

We believe strong enough that we have staked our lives and our freedoms on
it. Because we know that only action creates change.

Every generation of warriors have stood and fought for something better.
Every generation of warriors has asked you ­ the people ­ to stand by
them, in solidarity. They have asked for your support and action in
creating change.

I am not saying or asking anything new. Indeed, much greater people than I
have asked the same thing of their generation in the name of the struggle.
So what makes me think this time is different?

Nothing. I’m just hoping that this time you will do more than listen and
nod your head in agreement. I’m praying that this time you will take it
upon yourself to get involved; to get your family, friends, and neighbors
involved. I’m asking you to believe that change is possible and that
united we can create it.

This June, show your solidarity with me, and all those who have struggled,
past and present, to make this world a better place. Struggle with us.
Hold demonstrations or gatherings at federal buildings or US embassies and
demand change. It doesn’t matter what cause or issue you fight for - we
are all connected. What does matter is that we stand united and make our
voices heard.

-Jeffrey ‘Free’ Luers

Write to: Jeffrey Luers
           #13797671