[Ppnews] Comrade George Jackson Warned Us

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Dec 19 11:08:38 EST 2007

Comrade George Jackson Warned Us

http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=473&Itemid=1

Wednesday, 19 December 2007

by Chaka

The American Prison Gulag is unique on the planet, both in size and
racial composition. The martyred George Jackson (1941-1971) saw
American fascism as the inevitable product "of genocidal
extermination of indigenous peoples and genocidal enslavement of
Afrikans." The logic of homegrown fascism is inseparable from the
nation's original, formative sins. One million incarcerated Black men
and women are captive testimony to the near-seamless transition from
the "peculiar institution" of slavery and the "pioneering spirit" of
mass murder, to the modern, industrial warehousing of human beings
and relentless assaults on civil liberties: "Destruction of the
prison industrial complex is a most critical front in our struggle
for a radically more egalitarian world."

Comrade George Jackson Warned Us

by Chaka

"Comrade George recognized fascism and dared to challenge it."

<http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1955>H.R 1955,
"The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act"
passed overwhelmingly in the House of Representative on October 23,
2007.  I hope I have your full attention.

Years ago in
<http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=JX7V2__KNtsC&dq=blood+in+my+eye+george+jackson&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=ER0K5A66RM&sig=lVA_qfLdXNfzZUcaFlR9y-1UAcg#PPR12,M1>Blood
in My Eye,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Jackson_%28Black_Panther%29>George
Jackson wrote: "Death and prison for all who object - fascism in its
final and secure state.  It has happened here." It has been happening here.

To understand what Comrade George was saying we have to rely less on
establishment academics as to what fascism means. Most of them
understand fascism as something that happened in Europe during the
1930s. Comrade George tried to improve our understanding of fascism
by daring to look beyond continental Europe.  He recognized US
fascism by locating it in the history of genocidal extermination of
indigenous peoples and genocidal enslavement of Afrikans. Comrade
George also recognized that fascism continued into the present
because he did not separate white supremacy from its logical
conclusion: genocide.  Witness the attempts to destroy
<http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=457&Itemid=33>public
housing in New Orleans as homelessness there increases dramatically.

"Comrade George did not separate white supremacy from its logical
conclusion: genocide."

US concentration camps - prisons and jails - are sites of terror and
warfare. To some it seems undeclared, but the over 2 million people
imprisoned reveals high-intensity, racialized and class-based
warfare. Critically, this war against us is also highly
gendered.  While Afrikan men are the vast majority of those
incarcerated, Afrikan women are currently being incarcerated at
higher rates. The
<http://www.hrw.org/reports/2000/usa/Rcedrg00-01.htm>incredibly
disproportionate number of Afrikans and other racialized people in
the
<http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86>US
gulags should make clear our deadly reality.  The recent  ruling by
the Supreme Court that asserts the right of federal judges to
sentence individuals below the guideline recommendations in
<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/10/supremecourt/main3597693.shtml>crack
cocaine cases and the decision by the
<http://www.ussc.gov/PRESS/rel0407.htm>Sentencing Commission to apply
that ruling retroactively, should be a reminder of how much work we
have left. The mandatory minimum terms imposed by Congress remain
along with their devastating impact on our communities. Mass
incarceration remains not only a means of social control for
populations rendered surplus by changes in the global and US
capitalist economy - US mass incarceration is genocidal.

On the frontlines trying to halt genocide were/are our freedom
fighters.  Some of them organized themselves under the banner of the
Black Panther Party and the Black Liberation Army; others formed the
National Committee to Combat Fascism; and others were/are part of
other revolutionary formations and collectives.  What they share(d)
in common was a willingness to up the ante of struggle as the
apparatus of US state terrorism intensified their brutality.
Confronted with overwhelming state violence, often in the form of
police assassinations, they resisted.  And those who dared to
struggle have paid, are still paying, with their lives.

Today, our freedom fighter - <http://www.assatashakur.org/>Assata
Shakur - remains in exile.  The terror mongers have placed a $1
million bounty on her head.  Others remain exiled, suffering
separation from loved ones, yet giving us hope, as they avoid direct
repression. But many of our freedom fighters - Jalil Muntaqim, Herman
Bell, Robert (Seth) Hayes, Mutulu Shakur, Sekou Odinga, Field
Marshall Eddie Conway, Leonard Peltier, Sundiata Acoli, Marilyn Buck,
Mumia Abu Jamal and many others- remain incarcerated.  They are
political prisoners and prisoners of war, individuals who remain
caged because they fought and continue to fight against the forces of
US fascism.

"Confronted with overwhelming state violence, often in the form of
police assassinations, they resisted."

In these times of global apartheid,
"<http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050502/klein>disaster capitalism,"
and intensifying white supremacist violence we should call upon the
spirit of George Jackson to "possess" us.  "As a slave, the social
phenomenon that engages my whole consciousness is, of course,
revolution," Comrade George stated boldly. This is what made him so
terrifying to the ruling class. Comrade George recognized fascism and
dared to challenge it.

The pressing task we face is to make revolutionary transformation the
social phenomenon that engages our whole consciousness and that of
more people.  Intensifying our struggle to emancipate all our
political prisoners and prisoners of war and to permanently dismantle
the prison industrial complex is a crucial aspect of this work.  It
is also one of the most important ways we can challenge the forces of
imperialism abroad and fascism at home.

Emancipating our freedom fighters is no easy task.  The US state
refuses to recognize them as political prisoners and prisoners of war
and keeps them locked up although they have already had decades of
their lives stolen.  The criminal injustice system continues to be
used to criminalize organizing for social justice and to prevent
resistance to political repression and US state terror.  It is from
this vantage point we must resist the "legalization" of
"<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/philip-giraldi/the-violent-radicalizatio_b_74091.html>The
Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act."  As
the
<http://ccrjustice.org/learn-more/faqs/factsheet:-violent-radicalization-and-homegrown-terrorism-prevention-act-2007>Center
for Constitutional Rights has pointed out this legislation is so
broad and sweeping that it can easily be used as a tool for state
repression. Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib, kidnappings (extraordinary
renditions), illegal wiring tapping, and the legalization of torture
(e.g. water boarding) all reveal that the legal framework for
increased repression is being rapidly expanded.

And, political repression continues to intensify. In fact, our
freedom fighters continue to be subjected to human rights violations
and political repression.  For example, in the aftermath of the
attacks on the world trade center in September 2001, many of our
freedom fighters already incarcerated were placed in solitary
confinement.  The justification given was that they constituted a
threat to the society.  More recently, we witnessed the renewed
attacks on the members (past) of the Black Panther Party and the
BPP's legacy of resistance to empire.  The
<http://www.freethesf8.org/>San Francisco 8 case reveals that there
is no action too reprehensible for the forces of repression.  Even
though a Los Angeles judge, in 1975, dismissed a case brought against
some Black Panther Party members because police had
<http://mlyon01.wordpress.com/2007/12/06/the-san-francisco-eight-torture-in-america/>systematically
tortured BPP member Harold Taylor, the police have re-opened this
more than 30 year old case against Taylor and other activists. The
struggle to end this specific attack continues.

Emancipating of freedom fighters is becoming more difficult.  The
so-called "war against terror" is the fig leaf behind which US State
terror and corporate plundering is being intensified.  They are using
this as a means to expand the corporate warfare-police State and its
systems of control, containment, repression and death.  To ignore our
responsibility to our incarcerated freedom fighters is to lay idle as
fascism intensifies.  And its intensification is not only at the
level of the fascist State.

If Comrade George was correct in noting that the "fascist state has
found it essential to disguise the opulence of its ruling-class
leisure existence by providing the lower classes with a mass
consumer's flea market of its own," the capacity to participate in
this "flea market" is shrinking for the lower and middle classes as
wealth inequality increases.  Consequently, the danger to racialized
people, especially those who are poor, increases exponentially, given
that the US continues to be a white supremacist social formation.

"To ignore our responsibility to our incarcerated freedom fighters is
to lay idle as fascism intensifies."

State terror widely manifested in mass incarceration is today enabled
by white acceptance of the "necessity" of Black social death and the
societal retreat from racial justice.  (It is also enabled by our
indifference; for the black political mis-leadership class, those
incarcerated have largely become disposable.)  However, the dangers
to Afrikans and other racialized people is amplified because the
increase in white economic/social insecurity, real or imagined, will
likely feed the growth of non-governmental white terrorist
organizations (e.g. KKK, Minutemen etc.). This could easily lead
whites to engage, as participants or spectators, in the anti-Afrikan
pogroms (disingenuously called "race riots") of the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Summer_of_1919>not so-distant
past.  Unfortunately, at this time, the likelihood of massive white
flight to even more explicit fascism remains more likely than the
rejection of "whiteness" and its wages.  Witness the epidemic of
nooses and police murders.

If this is so, there is a dire need for stronger resistance to
genocide.  A multi-pronged effort to emancipate all the political
prisoners and prisoners of war held in US gulags as well as to
abolish prisons may serve to revive and build revolutionary
consciousness.  Already, the
<http://www.thejerichomovement.com/>Jericho Movement, the
<http://mxgm.org/web/>Malcolm X Grassroots Movement, Center for the
Defense of Human Rights (CDHR),
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Resistance>Critical
Resistance, ABCDF and others are forwarding the struggle to
emancipate our political prisoners and prisoners of war.  It is
imperative that we support them in realization that the emancipation
of our PPs/POWs, securing the safety of our political exiles, along
with the destruction of the prison industrial complex is a most
critical front in our struggle for a radically more egalitarian world.
"Fascism has temporarily succeeded," but as Comrade George said, "the
only way we can destroy it is to refuse compromise with the enemy
state and its ruling class."

Chaka can be contacted at <mailto:nalsoja at yahoo.com>nalsoja at yahoo.com
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need
JavaScript enabled to view it .