[Ppnews] Rod Coronado - Here's the Deal

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 17 11:45:29 EST 2007

As many of you have already heard, it is true
that Rod did take a plea in the San Diego
case.  Of course, there are many, many emotions
equated with this, but for the most part you can
all guess how we feel.  Up until the very end, we
were wavering, but it is now after the fact and
we are resolved to make peace with the upcoming
journey we face.  This was not a victory by any
means, but a way to move on with our lives and
give our kids the time they need and deserve with
a present dad.  We could have gone on fighting,
but in the end our little ones would have paid
the biggest price
.. It is, so they say, an achilles heal.
Below is a open letter from Rod that he released
to the public to share why he made his decision:

“Dear friends and supporters~

On December 14th, before Judge Jeffery Miller in
Federal Court in San Diego, I entered a guilty
plea to one count of distribution of information
related to the assembly of explosives and weapons
of mass destruction.  This was the one count I
have fought for almost two years now and for
which I faced approximately five to ten years in
prison if found guilty at trial.  In September of
2007, a jury instead voted 8-4 for acquittal and
in the ensuing wekks, prosecutors in the case
informed us that they would seek an additional
indictment in Washington D.C., for a speech I
delivered at American University in January,
2003.  In exchange for a guilty plea in the San
Diego case, the U.S. government has agreed to ask
only for a one year prison sentence, drop pending
charges in Tucson for my possession of raptor
feathers and not to indict me in D.C.  I am not
required to testify against anyone else in any
other investigations, and hopefully this plea
agreement will once and for all gran
t me closure in a well-known campaign of
repression against me for my past involvement,
association and support for covert campaigns
against environmental destroyers and animal
abusers.  It has long been my desire to put my
past behind me and instead build a sustainable
existence for myself, my wife, Chrysta, and two
children, Anheles and Maya.  This decision to
take a plea bargain comes only after much careful
consideration and a sincere desire to do what is
best for my family.  Such unconstitutional
assaults on my free speech beg for a continued
legal battle and defense, but I am instead
choosing to reach a settlement that will allow me
to move on with my life rather than face years of
litigation that might lead to many years in prison.

My children need me.  I am a father first and
foremost, and have given 20 plus years to the
battle against corporate and government policies
which destroy our Earth.  Now it is time to give
of myself to the purpose of raising a family in these troubling times.

For the Earth, and all of her Children,
Rod Coronado ”
Thank you for all you have done for us, and
continue to do!  To everyone who has been there
with us, know that our hearts have continually
been put at peace with your support and
kindness.  There is no doubt that love and truth
are the strongest powers, we are constantly reminded!

Chrysta