[Ppnews] Leonard Peltier Holiday Gift Drive - Daniel McGowan

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Dec 5 11:03:14 EST 2007

<http://supportdaniel.org/blog/?p=19>Holiday Gift Drive Part II

by Daniel on November 6th, 2007

In a previous blog entry, I mentioned that my
support group, Family and Friends of Daniel
McGowan, would be participating in the annual
<http://www.leonardpeltier.net/>Leonard Peltier
Gift Drive for the children of the Pine Ridge
reservation. I wanted to give you more
information about it as well as explain our
participation in this initiative. It begins with the case of Leonard Peltier.

Many others can tell this story better (including
Leonard himself in his book,
<http://www.yvwiiusdinvnohii.net/LeonardPeltier/LPextracts990309.htm>Prison
Writings: My Life is My Sundance, Peter
Matthiesen’s book
<http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=16-0140144560-0>In
the Spirit of Crazy Horse and the film
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104504/>Incident at
Oglala). Leonard Peltier is an Anishinabe and
Dakota/Lakota Native American political prisoner
convicted of killing two FBI agents during an
incident on the Oglala reservation. He has been
imprisoned more than 30 years despite a massive
executive clemency campaign that was expected to
be victorious in the mid 1990s. He has written a
book and countless articles and poems, become an
accomplished artist and continued to be an
outspoken advocate for indigenous rights. His
case has attracted the attention of human rights
groups, people form all over the world and even
various foreign governments. Every appeal files
by his legal team has either been defeated or
been stalled for years due to FBI/government
secrecy essentially refusing to hand over
documents that would exonerate him. Their latest
rationale for refusing to deliver thousands of
documents is “national security.”

I first read about the Peltier case in the
phenomenal account of U.S. genocide of Native
Americans, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee
Brown. At the time, I still harbored illusions
about justice in the United States and was
stunned by the details of Peltier’s case. I write
letters to then President Bill Clinton believing
my rational arguments combined with the obvious
legal problems with this case and the
international support would lead to clemency and
the eventual release from prison for Leonard
Peltier. Well, beliefs die hard and Clinton left
office, commuting the sentence of Peltier’s
half-brother and leaving him behind bars, my last
shred of belief in liberal politics evaporated.

In December 2006, my legal defense crew held a
rally in Foley Square which is in downtown
Manhattan and close to the FBI headquarters as
well as the jail I was held at one year prior
when I was first arrested. As it turned out,
Leonard Peltier’s lawyers were in court that day
on one of his numerous appeals and his supporters
rallied outside the hearing and later joined our
rally. When I heard that, and my friend Tim’s
speech that day, in which he talked about
Peltier’s case and his continued opposition to
injustice despite 30 years in a maximum security
prison, my resolve was strengthened. i knew I
would have an opportunity soon to lend some real,
concrete solidarity to his freedom campaign and his annual toy drive.

You may wonder, why participate in a toy drive?
Our participation in this project, which I find
inspiring, is multifaceted. First, more than
talking or expressing sentiment about what we
believe or who we support, we are choosing an
action that has a positive impact on the lives of
children on the Pine Ridge Reservation– home of
the Lakota Sioux Nation. People on this
reservation suffer from intense poverty and have
resisted the U.S. government’s conduct on their
lands– most notably in the period of time around
Leonard Peltier’s arrest. Generations have
sacrificed and it is a gesture of solidarity.
There is no need to look elsewhere to find
children who need help or give funds to some
large non-profit who puts more money into
fundraising than the children themselves. The
toys you buy on our online registry will brighten
the holiday season for these children.

Second, we are hoping this project leads to
increased “cross pollination” between activists
resisting the <http://greenscare.org/>Green Scare
and indigenous resisters. We have significant
commonality– support of political prisoners,
respect for the planet and a shared fight for
social justice– as well as many differences. I
believe this cross pollination whereas
environmental/animal liberation/anarchist
activists can learn about issues affecting
indigenous communities and those communities can
see we are serious allies who are in it for the
long haul and can offer help in campaigns against
the destruction of their lands. This isn’t a
novel idea and many others have worked on forging
these bonds, including those who have helped
traditional people at Black Mesa resisting
Peabody Coal (the Dineh), eco-activist in British
Columbia working with First Nations and
mitigating the effects of pushy, top-down
environmental NGOs, as well as my co-defendant
Bill Rogers who worked on the successful campaign
to stop wastewater snow production on the San Francisco Peaks in Arizona.

Finally, despite my own experience with the
federal legal system and knowing they won’t ever
budge without a fight, I still maintain hope in
the campaign to free Leonard Peltier. I hope this
to drive can be one small contribution to this
effort. So this year, I am asking that you help
make this project a success. If you already buy
gifts for your family and/or friends, I’m asking
that you buy one or two more. Here’s how:

*Go to our
<http://www.toysrus.com/ControllerServlet?lastName=Toys&firstName=Peltier&state=&x=0&y=0&target=search&userType=giftGiver&searchForPerson=primReg&whereTo=viewRegistry>online
registry (or the registry at
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/TUKYQ1ZSKYM8/>amazon.com–
we have added a lot of gifts– some cheap and some more expensive).
*Our goal is to get toys (and clothes) for
children of all ages, including teenagers, so
please mix up the age-appropriateness of the gifts if you can.
*We have done our best to avoid war/militaristic
and ecologically destructive toys like bulldozers, et cetera.
*It is important that you do this soon. The gifts
need to be shipped so they get to Texas by
December 10th and then to Pine Ridge on December 24th.
*If you have any questions or problems with the
ordering on the sites, feel free to e-mail my
crew at friendsofdanielmcg at yahoo.com

Thanks so much for your help in making this project a success.
<http://www.leonardpeltier.net/>www.leonardpeltier.net
<http://www.supportdaniel.org/morehelp/holiday.html>The
Support Daniel ‘Gift Drive’ Page
<http://www.supportdaniel.org/>www.supportdaniel.org

<http://www.supportdaniel.org>Daniel McGowan is
an environmental and social justice activist. He
was charged in federal court on many counts of
arson, property destruction and conspiracy, all
relating to two incidents in Oregon in 2001.
Until recently, Daniel was offered two choices by
the government: cooperate by informing on other
people, or go to trial and face life in prison.
His only real option was to plead not guilty
until he could reach a resolution of the case
that permitted him to honor his principles. As a
result of months of litigation and negotiation,
Daniel was able to admit to his role in these two
incidents, while not implicating or identifying
any other people who might have been involved. He
was sentenced to 7 years in prison on June 4,
2007 and began serving his time on July 2, 2007.