[Ppnews] Silvia Baraldini statement about release

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 27 11:23:50 EDT 2006

Yesterday Rome's Court of Appeal ruled that the two year discount on
all the sentences of those currently incarcerated could apply to me.
This measure was adopted by Parliament last July because the
overcrowded conditions inside Italian jails had reached the breaking
point.  My lawyer petitioned that the measure be applied to me at the
beginning of August, and for the first time the state prosecutors
gave a favourable opinion.  The issue that the judges ruled on was
whether this type of measure, which is not specifically mentioned in
the Strasburg Convention (the international treaty that governs the
transfer of prisoners), should be applied anyway. Yesterday they
issued a four page opinion that, said simply, that while the Italian
word indulto has no equivalent in English, the spirit of the
Convention was not contrary to its application. I found out when I
was called at work by my companion who had found a note from the
local police precinct asking me to appear immediately because I was
released from the condition of incarceration.

Silvia Baraldini - Rome 9/27/2006

PARDON: RUSSO SPENA, SILVIA BARALDINI RELEASED
http://www.agi.it/english/news.pl?doc=200609262053-1275-RT1-CRO-0-NF11&page=0&id=agionline-eng.oggitalia

(AGI) - Rome, Sept. 26 - Silvia Baraldini has been released from jail
thanks to the pardon. This was reported by Giovanni Russo Spena, the
PRC (Refounded Communists) party in the Senate. Baraldini herself was
the one to inform Russo Spena. "I am very happy about the release of
Silvia Baraldini, "she said, "She was the one to tell me about it,
thankful as she was to Parliament for having voted in favour of a
measure which finally - after years in American prisons and then,
after the US granted her extradition, in Italian ones - has given her
back her freedom. Judicial authorities thoroughly examined her case
but finally came to the conclusion that Silvia does not represent a
danger, and that her long history of unspeakable suffering makes her
a valid citizen. For all of us, the group and the party, it is a very
emotion-filled moment." (AGI) -
262053 SET 06

Italian communists hail end of house arrest for woman convicted in
U.S. for robbery
The Associated Press

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2006
Rome the remainder of a 40-year U.S. prison sentence for armed
robberies and links to black militants, is now free thanks to a
recent, nationwide amnesty, communist politicians announced Tuesday.

When Silvia Baraldini was transferred to her homeland Italy from a
federal prison in Connecticut in 1999 to serve the remaining 23 years
of her sentence, the deal included a condition that she not be released early.

But in 2001, Baraldini was transferred to house arrest while she was
being treated for breast cancer for a few months. A court later
extended the house arrest. A few years later she began working as a
researcher for the city of Rome on women in the work world.

A cause celebre among the Italian left, Baraldini was convicted of
robberies and attempted robberies in the United States, including a
1981 holdup of a Brinks truck. In 1983, then-federal prosecutor and
future New York mayor, Rudolph Giuliani, won the long sentence for
subversive association and other charges.

A guard and two police officers were killed in the holdup. Baraldini
has said she had nothing to do with the crime. She was also convicted
in the 1979 kidnapping of New Jersey prison guards to help convicted
Black Panthers killer Joanne Chesimard escape from prison.

Baraldini, whose sentence was supposed to run out in 2008, benefited
from a recent amnesty freeing inmates who had less than three years
to serve on their sentences from Italy's overcrowded jails.

A communist leader, Giovanni Russo Spena, called freedom for
Baraldini "a good day for democracy."