[Ppnews] USM Censorship of Tom Manning Art Exhibit

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 11 11:52:30 EDT 2006

Last Friday, September 8, after most students and faculty had left campus,
University of Southern Maine president, Richard Pattenaude, abruptly
announced his decision that the scheduled art exhibit, "Can't Jail the
Spirit: Art by Political Prisoner Tom Manning & Others" (co-sponsored by
Portland Victory Gardens Project), would be cancelled, and the art
immediately removed from the USM Woodbury Campus Center.

Since Portland Victory Gardens Project (PVGP) and the USM community were
not notified of this decision in advance, nor given any opportunity to
participate in this decision, PVGP will be holding a press conference to
address this matter tommorow, Tuesday Septemer 12, at 4pm in the gallery
of the Woodbury Campus Center.  PVGP will read a statement that we have
prepared regarding this matter, and announce our plans to return the art
show to USM's campus (see next paragraph).  We invite all USM students and
faculty who disagree with President Pattenaude's decision to join us in
expressing their views.

On Friday September 15th, we will demonstrate that the government and
police still "Can't Jail the Spirit", with a mobile exhibit of art by Tom
Manning and others. The art show will begin at 5pm at the Woodbury Campus
Center on USM's campus, and will travel to Congress Square by 6pm.  Tom's
paintings will be displayed along the route and in the square, alongside
art from local artists.  Speakers will include Ray Luc Levasseur, lawyers
from the National Lawyers Guild, and an open mic.  All members of the
public who believe in expression free from police control are encouraged
to bring poems, music, art, food, signs, and their free speech.

***

Portland Victory Gardens Project
PO Box 1992
Portland, Maine 04104
(207) 761-1504

Free the Land!  Free all U.S. Political Prisoners!
All Power to the People!