[Ppnews] Support Jalil Muntaqim's Appeal of Parole Denial!

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 4 08:32:15 EDT 2006

Support Jericho Co-Founder
Jalil Muntaqim's Appeal
of Parole Denial!
TO: Friends and Supporters
FR: Anthony “Jalil” Bottom
RE: Parole Appeal Letter Initiative
DT: August 2, 2006

Dear Friends and Supporters:
On August 1, 2006 , for the third time I had a
parole board hearing at Auburn Correctional
Facility. The parole hearing was conducted by
Commissioners K. Ludlow, L. Lazzari and A. Croce,
all of whom are Republicans appointed to their
positions by Republican Governor George Pataki.
Governor Pataki has in place an unwritten policy
that all those convicted of violent crimes be
denied parole. After Kathy Boudin was paroled at
her third appearance, Governor Pataki publicly
stated he would not have paroled her. He then
summarily demoted the Chairman of the Div. of
Parole, and replaced him with one of his
Republican appointees, Mr. Robert Dennison.

In the July 20, 2006 New York Law Journal, it was
reported that prior to Robert Dennison's
appointment as Chairman, he functioned as a
parole commissioner. Chairman Robert Dennison is
presently being sued for acting outside of his
authority while he was a commissioner. The
lawsuit alleges that Robert Dennison,
disapproving of two other commissioners granting
parole to a prisoner on a panel he was serving,
soon after met the family member of the victim.
He suggested to the victim's family member that
the prisoner “should die in prison,” persuading
that family member to make a statement opposing
the prisoner's release on parole. Then
Commissioner Dennison conducted a new parole
hearing after ensuring the first was rescinded,
and denied the prisoner's release on parole. The
prisoner is now suing Robert Dennison, but for
this act Governor Pataki awarded Dennison the
Chairman position of the Division of Parole.

In 2004, Mr. Waverly Jones, Jr., the son of one
of the police officers killed in my case, met
with then Chairman Dennison, providing a victim
impact statement. Mr. Jones informed Chairman
Dennison that he felt that I and my co-defendant
had done enough time in prison, that he and his
family had forgiven us for the crime, if in fact
we were guilty of it, and questioned the policy
of continuously hitting us at the parole board
every 2 years. Subsequently, that victim impact
statement was not provided to the parole
commissioners conducting my 2004 parole hearing.
I was summarily denied parole in 2004, for the
very same reasons I was denied in 2002.

At the 2006 parole hearing, none of the three
parole commissioners mentioned the victim impact
statement or the many other accomplishments
provided them as part of my institutional record.
In fact, the commissioners were not aware that I
had obtained both a BS in Psychology and a BA in
Sociology from SUNY New Paltz in 1994, or that I
received two commendations for preventing prison
gang riots, or accomplished other vocational
training. However, when I raised my concerns
about the July 20, 2006 New York Law Journal
report of the suit against Chairman Dennison and
his failure to provide the favorable 2004 victim
impact statement advocating my release on parole
to the parole commissioners, the only comment was
by Commissioner A. Croce, who asked how I got a
copy of the transcript of the victim impact statement.

These parole denials are in direct violation of
the legislative mandate in Executive Law §259i,
that establishes the standard that parole
commissioners are to consider for parole
releases. It is obvious that the NYS parole
system has become a political tool of nepotism by
the Governor, where 16 commissioners are Republicans.

I am preparing my appeal of the parole denial. In
this regards, I am asking for your support.
Please write a protest letter to Chairman Robert
Dennison, NYS Division of Parole, 97 Central
Avenue , Albany, New York 12206, and demand that
a FULL BOARD REVIEW be conducted of Anthony
“Jalil” Bottom's August 1, 2006 parole denial. We
need as many letters as possible to be sent
protesting the parole denial and Governor Pataki's unwritten parole policy.

Thank you for your support.
Anthony Jalil Bottom

To read Jalil's Parole Appeal Brief,
<http://www.freejalil.com/paroleappeal1.html>click here!

National Jericho Movement • P.O. Box 340084 • Jamaica, NY 11434

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43257/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta>All-new
Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.