[Ppnews] Message from Rod Coronado in Prison

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Sep 1 11:19:41 EDT 2006

[ The note below is a message written by Rod in CCA Florence. He has
been able to call out now and his partner Chrysta is visiting him at
least once a week. But it is expensive for him to call and expensive
for Chrysta to drive the 67 miles each way a couple of times a week.
So if you have any extra cash, please think about making a donation
via the website ( http://supportrod.org ) or by sending a check made
out to Rod Coronado to PO Box 732, Tucson, AZ 85702. A big thanks to
all those who have already done so - it has made a big difference!]

Dear Friends and Supporters,

Some of you know me only by my lectures, writings, actions and
statements, some as a father or personal friend. To say the least,
these last couple of years have been truly life-changing. I've been
arrested twice by the FBI, chased by a helicopter, indicted for
serious charges, charged w/less serious crimes and it seems almost
constantly accused of being a terrorist though my actions my entire
life have never caused a single physical injury let alone death.
That's not to say I haven't done things I regret. I have. But this
open letter is meant instead to be a statement of facts in regard to
what I now believe. It is part response to questions raised by past
supporters who have always heard me unequivocally support illegal
direction actions taken on behalf of the Earth and animals.

I believe there comes a time in everyone's life when we have to
honestly ask ourselves why we are here, doing whatever it is we do on
this beautiful planet. These last two plus years have surely been
such a time for me. All my life I have endeavored to protect the
earth and her non-human children we call animals. I still do and
always will believe in respecting life be it human or non-human and
this planet we all call home. A large part of my personal and
spiritual evolution has been in the last nearly five years since I
became a parent of a beautiful human child. As a warrior I used to
think that having children was an impediment to any struggle for
peace and justice. Never could I have been more wrong. I believe our
creator chose me to be a parent of my son because I was a warrior. A
man who believed that peace for the Earth and animals could only come
through aggressive and sometimes destructive actions.

Raising a child requires a parent to practice the very principles you
seek to teach your children. Indeed such is the case with all living
beings. I always believed I was fighting to create a better world for
all future generations, yet to preserve what I wanted to protect, I
chose to engage sometimes in the destruction of property used to
destroy life. I still see the rationale for what I've done, only no
longer do I personally choose to represent the cause of peace and
compassion in that way.

As a parent, I have been forced to realize that violence is
everywhere in our society and as a parent I believe in not raising
children to accept violence as a necessary evil. I believe in
teaching and living peace with the hope that only through example do
our children have a chance of escaping a violent future. In my years
past I have argued that economic sabotage was an appropriate tactic
for our time. Like all strategists I have also been forced to
recognize that times have changed and it is now my belief that the
movements to protect earth and animals have achieved enough with this
strategy to now consider an approach that does not compromise
objectives, but increases the likelihood of real social change. Let
our opposition who believe in violence carry the burden for its
justification, but let those who believe in peace and love practice a
way of life that our society sorely needs now more than ever.

A society built around violence cannot stand the test of time. But a
life built around the tenets of mutual respect, compassion, peace and
harmony con be our only way out of this nightmare. What is won
through violence must be protected with violence and I don't want to
teach my children that. As long as governments and corporations
sanction physical violence any who attempt to stop them with violence
will be labeled terrorists.

There is little we can do to change that in light of the media's role
and influence over the public's perception. That is only I believe in
their ability to label the cause of peace and justice as such. Many
people have bravely given their lives and freedom to forward the
cause of animals and nature, now let us continue that march in ways
that do not allow the opposition to excuse us as terrorists. I
believe in promoting the rights of animals and a safe environment
through the demonstration of a way of life based on creating
sustainability rather than fighting within a system that respects
only force and violence. We are fortunate to live in a society that
allows nonviolent options. Systems of war and violence shall crumble
and we should free ourselves from the rubble while there's still time.

There is no shortage of good works in order to build the society I
believe in, only a shortage of those willing to make a life-ling
commitment towards creating peace. We know where the dominant society
has left us. With less rights and privilege than corporate charters
and profit margins. It is now time, I believe, to fend for ourselves
and create the democracy denied to us. Time for us to become active
in educating our children, in growing and providing healthy food to
all, medicine and care giving to those who need it, not just those
who can afford it. This is how I believe we create a better world,
not through any acts of violence but with great demonstrations of
love for each other and all life around us.

I condemn no one forced into a life of self defense through violence,
I only pray for another way forward to a lasting peace. There is
still time. Time for a government by the people for the people... and
earth. But not without the patience and perseverance to build
peaceful alternatives rather than short-term strategies that offer
too little in the way of long-term change. My position is just the
voice of one man on a journey solely his own. I speak for no greater
movement thought I hope the desires of many. Struggle for me has
become a very personal battle. Not only against a legal system intent
on imprisoning me but equally important is my personal struggle to be
a better human being. To my children, my partner, my community and
myself. Because if I can't accomplish peace in my own life, how is it
that I can hope to accomplish it on any larger standard?

What our world needs now is a whole lot more love and a lot less
violence. Nothing in this world will change overnight. But if we live
peace and teach our children well, they might still inherit a world
better than ours. Maybe I'm just getting old, or finally thinking
about the legacy I will leave behind, but I still have much to live
and give and I want to find the commonality between people who want
only a safe and happy life for their children. Don't ask me how to
burn down a building. As me how to grow watermelons or how to explain
nature to a child. that is what I want to grow old doing. Please
afford me this. I have fought my battles and continue to fight for
mine and my family's freedom. I only want to not be remembered as a
man of destruction but a human believer in peace and love for all.
May the creator bless and protect us all with the sacred gift of life
that is ours to do with as we shall.

Rod Coronado #03895000
CCA Central Arizona Detention Center
PO Box 6300