[Ppnews] Lynne Stewart on Democracy Now - on her way to sentencing 16 Oct 2006

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 16 13:25:20 EDT 2006

Followed by NY Times Article

DEMOCRACY NOW
Monday, October 16th, 2006
Facing Up To 30 Years in Prison, Civil Rights
Attorney Lynne Stewart Speaks Out As She Heads To Courthouse for Sentencing

----------
Civil rights attorney Lynne Stewart is to be
sentenced in a federal court in Manhattan later
today. She faces up to thirty years in prison.
Last year, Stewart was convicted of five counts
of conspiring to aid terrorists and lying to the
government. Stewart’s case has reverberated with
defense attorneys around the country. Many argue
that the government’s aim is to discourage them
from representing unpopular clients. [includes rush transcript - partial]

Stewart was convicted of smuggling out messages
from her jailed client - Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman
- also known as the blind sheikh - who is serving
a life sentence on terror-related charges. Most
notably, Stewart was convicted of helping Rahman
contact followers in Egypt with messages that
could have ended a cease-fire there and ignited
violence. Stewart’s co-defendants - Ahmed Sattar,
a postal worker who acted as a paralegal for
Abdel-Rahman, and Mohammed Yousry - an Arabic
translator, were also convicted of all charges
against them. This was the first time that the
federal government prosecuted a defense attorney in a terrorism case.

The seven-month trial was held in the same New
York federal courthouse, just blocks from our
firehouse studio, where the Rosenbergs were tried
for conspiracy to commit espionage more than a
half century ago. It featured very few witnesses
as the government’s case was based primarily on
transcripts from more than 85,000 secretly
recorded audio and video clips of meetings
between Stewart and her client as well as the
home phone of Ahmed Abdel Sattar.

Last month, Stewart wrote a personal letter to
the court and acknowledged for the first time
that she knowingly violated prison rules and was
careless, overemotional and politically naive in
her representation of her client... She has asked for leniency from the court.

And Lynne Stewart joins me now here in the
studio, just hours before her sentencing.
    * Lynne Stewart, human rights attorney

AMY GOODMAN: Lynne Stewart now joins me in our
firehouse studio just hours before she is
sentenced in the courthouse nearby. Welcome to Democracy Now!, Lynne.

LYNNE STEWART: Thank you, Amy.

AMY GOODMAN: How are you doing?

LYNNE STEWART: I’m stressed, but I am beneficial
of a large outpouring of support and love,
recognition of my career as a lawyer in this city
-- my representation of the poor, of the
disenfranchised, of the voiceless, if you will,
for over 30 years -- that happened last night at
Riverside Church and at other meetings all week
long, St. Mark’s, up in Harlem, we had an
outpouring as well. So I’m buoyed by the people
who believe in me, the people who know that
everything I did, I did as a lawyer, not as a
terrorist, as the government would have people believe.

AMY GOODMAN: For people who are new to this case,
explain what you have been convicted of.

LYNNE STEWART: Yes. You know, the government has
put in what my dear friend Bill Kunstler used to
call “weasel words,” words that don’t state the
exact facts but really pull a kind of reaction.
So they use words like “smuggled out messages.”
We would visit the Sheik. He would tell us, he
would dictate to us letters. He would dictate to us press releases.

The real thrust of my conviction is that I made a
press release very openly to Reuters, no secret,
nothing under the bra straps, and that press
release called for a reconsideration, not an end
to the ceasefire, but a reconsideration of a
unilateral ceasefire that the Sheik's group,
which he of course had not been a member of for
ten years at the time he made the release, had
made in Egypt. Ramsey Clark had announced his
original position, which was in support of the
ceasefire. Ramsey Clark never heard from the
government at all. I made the press release
saying, “I think you should reconsider this
ceasefire,” and a year-and-a-half later, I was indicted.

AMY GOODMAN: You have written a letter to the judge. Explain this letter.

LYNNE STEWART: Yes. I’m afraid that if you only
read the New York Times, you may get the wrong
impression. It’s not a craven, begging letter. I
am still very sure of my principled stand in this
whole matter, that everything I did, I did as a
lawyer, that I never intended to aid my client's
cause. I intended to aid this man, this man who was in terrible isolation.

Now, if we saw it today, we would say, “Oh, yes.
This is the torture. This is the kind of torture
that we see at Abu Ghraib, that we see at
Guantanamo.” He had no contact with the outside
world. He could not even speak with his jailers.
He had one call a month for 15 minutes to his
wife and a call a week to his lawyers. He could
not pick up a book to relieve this isolation,
because he’s blind. He was so diminished, he was
in such terrible shape when I went to see him in
May of 2000, hallucinating almost, out of this terrible sensory deprivation.

And I just felt that to keep hope alive -- as a
lawyer, that’s what we do. We say, “We can
continue fighting this. We can work on this” -- I
agreed to make this press release, never
imagining that it would become part of a criminal
case. I thought the worst that could happen,
which was actually spelled out in the
regulations, was that they might deprive me of
the ability to visit him. If that happened, he
still had Ramsey Clark and Abdeen Jabara to
visit, and we would have been able to go to court and fight the case.

I told the judge all of this in that letter,
because I wanted him to understand how defense
lawyers function. We function on behalf of the
client. We become involved with the client.
There’s a mutuality there. And people find it --
you know, we always hear, “How could you defend
that guy?” Well, there’s something that happens.
There’s a chemistry that happens. And maybe it’s
the adversary system, which I’ve always been a
backer of. I think it is the best way to decide
criminal matters. You become alive with your
client, not in his goals, not in his political
goals, not in his life goals, but in the sense
that you want to further his cause of getting out
from under these opprobrious conditions.

AMY GOODMAN: We’re talking to Lynne Stewart. It’s
just an hour before she heads to court. She was
tried in the same courtroom as the Rosenbergs
were more than a half a century ago. We’ll be back with her in a minute.

Lawyer Is Due for Sentencing in Terror Case
[]

Suzanne DeChillo/The New York Times

Lynne Stewart in her former law office. She was
convicted in 2005 of aiding a high-profile terrorist.

By
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/p/julia_preston/index.html?inline=nyt-per>JULIA
PRESTON
Published: October 16, 2006  The New York Times

<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/lynne_f_stewart/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Lynne
F. Stewart, the firebrand lawyer known for
defending unsavory criminals, now faces the
possibility of living out her life like many of
them, in maximum-security lockdown in a federal prison.

Today, 20 months after she was convicted on
terror charges, Ms. Stewart and two co-defendants
who were convicted of conspiring with her will be
sentenced in Federal District Court in Manhattan.
Prosecutors, arguing that Ms. Stewart repeatedly
flouted the law to aid the violent designs of an
imprisoned terrorist client, have asked Judge
John G. Koeltl to condemn her to 30 years in prison.

That would be a life sentence for Ms. Stewart,
who turned 67 last week. Long an abrasive
advocate of anti-government causes, these days
she is not defiant. She is mournful about what
she said were her failures as a lawyer.

Her dread of prison deepened unexpectedly, Ms.
Stewart said, during the long period after a jury
found her guilty on Feb. 10, 2005, of providing
material aid to terrorism. She has recently
recovered from breast cancer, but fears it will return in prison.

And if the judge comes down hard, she could be
held in solitary confinement with limited visits,
the same conditions as Sheik
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/a/omar_abdel_rahman/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Omar
Abdel Rahman, the terrorist she was convicted of aiding.

All three defendants have had to wait for
sentencing while Ms. Stewart was treated for
cancer. She has finished radiation treatments,
she said, and her doctors have declared that she
is cancer-free. But she worries about the medical care in prison.

“I feel very threatened by it,” Ms. Stewart said.
“I know too much about the way they deal with you in prison.”

Ms. Stewart’s sentencing will culminate a case
the Bush administration cites as a major
counter-terrorism achievement. Former Attorney
General
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/a/john_ashcroft/index.html?inline=nyt-per>John
Ashcroft, who brought the indictment, devoted a
full chapter to the case in his new memoir.

Ms. Stewart still denies that she acted to
further any violent goals of the sheik, a blind
Islamic cleric from Egypt who is serving a life
sentence for a thwarted 1993 plot to bomb New
York City landmarks. Whatever the sentence, her
lawyers have said they will appeal the case.

But in documents they submitted to persuade Judge
Koeltl to be lenient and give her no prison time,
Ms. Stewart is newly remorseful about
“ill-advised” moves on behalf of her client.

“I still believe it was justifiable ­ but perhaps
not in the way that I did it,” Ms. Stewart said
in a sober interview in a borrowed room in the
Manhattan offices where she used to practice law.
She was speaking of her actions in June 2000 to
violate strict prison rules, known as special
administrative measures, by publicizing a message
from the sheik to his militant followers in Egypt.

The government’s call for a 30-year sentence
jolted her, she said, into deeper self-criticism.

“Stewart’s criminal conduct, which lasted more
than two years, was both extremely dangerous and
devious,” two assistant United States attorneys,
Andrew Dember and Robin Baker, wrote in their
sentencing motion. Her actions, they said,
“should be offensive to those actually zealously
defending criminal defendants within the bounds of the law.”

There was never any question during the
eight-month trial that Ms. Stewart had broken the
rules by releasing the sheik’s statement, which
said he no longer supported a cease-fire by his
followers in Egypt. Another defendant, Ahmed
Abdel Sattar, 47, a Staten Island postal worker,
was convicted of negotiating with the militants
by telephone to promote an end to the cease-fire.

The government wants a life sentence for Mr.
Sattar. It is seeking 20 years for Mohamed
Yousry, the Arabic translator who was convicted
of helping Ms. Stewart smuggle Mr. Abdel Rahman’s messages out of prison.

These days, Ms. Stewart says, what stings is that
she agrees with some of prosecutors’ claims about her faulty legal work.

In her trial testimony, she said she believed
that she could stretch the prison rules because
she regarded them as unconstitutional. But the
argument was weak because, as prosecutors noted,
she never made a formal legal challenge.

She said that she completely misjudged how
prosecutors viewed the sheik and the leeway she
could take in defending him, as terrorism became
an increasing threat to the United States. “To
me, the sheik was part of the demonized other,”
she said, “part of a continuum” with other
violent radicals she had defended more
successfully, including members of the Weather
Underground and the Black Panthers.

She admits that she became too close to the
sheik, insisting it was because of his
deteriorating health and sanity after years in
solitary confinement, not any affinity with his Islamic fundamentalism.

“I ignored any warning signs,” Ms. Stewart said.
“I led with my heart instead of my head and thought it would be all right.”

While Ms. Stewart says she regrets some of her
actions, one co-defendant, Mr. Yousry, is not
offering any apologies to the judge.

“I wish to God I can say I’m sorry,” he said in
an interview. “But I’m not guilty and I’m not
going to say I’m sorry for something that I didn’t do.”

In the past months, Mr. Yousry, 51, has gone from
bewildered to angry, reliving the trial in his
mind. He was fired from a teaching job at the
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/c/city_university_of_new_york/index.html?inline=nyt-org>City
University of New York when he was indicted and
can no longer find work as a translator. Out on
bail, he spends his time at home in Bridgeport, Conn.

Mr. Yousry said he keeps coming back to the fact
that he, unlike Ms. Stewart, never signed an
agreement to uphold the rules that restricted
communication with the sheik. The evidence
confirmed that he acted on specific instructions
from Ms. Stewart. Prosecutors acknowledge that
Mr. Yousry, who is not a practicing Muslim, did
not support the sheik’s ideas or violence. They
have called him the “least culpable” defendant.

In a letter to the judge, Michael Gasper, a
history professor at
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/y/yale_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Yale,
said Mr. Yousry had long shown an “obvious and
unconcealed distaste for any brand of Islamic activism.”

Mr. Yousry has never broken rank with Ms.
Stewart. But his voice rose when he discussed how she handled the sheik’s case.

“My job wasn’t to tell the lawyer what to do,” he
said. “Lynne is known as an in-your-face kind of
lawyer. She lives for the moment when she can
stand up to the government and challenge them on
issues. That’s her thing. That’s Lynne Stewart, not Mohamed Yousry.”

There was little sympathy for Ms. Stewart among
mainstream lawyers during the trial. But more
than 400 letters she submitted to Judge Koeltl
about her sentence include many from law
professors and criminal defense lawyers who said
that her actions never caused actual harm and
warned of a chilling effect on lawyers who defend
terrorists if she receives a long sentence. Her
lawyers cite her long service as a
government-appointed lawyer for rebels, mobsters and murderers.

Jo Ann Harris, a former assistant attorney
general who authorized the 1994 indictment of Mr.
Abdel Rahman, wrote that the terrorism counts
against Ms. Stewart were “unwarranted overkill.”

Ms. Stewart’s failing, she wrote, was that she
“didn’t have a clue that the stick she was poking
in the government’s eye was going to have
consequences beyond her imagination.”

The author Gore Vidal wrote to ask the judge to
“side with our Bill of Rights” by not imprisoning Ms. Stewart.

Ms. Stewart said that while her radical leftist
views have not changed, she will continue to
fight within the system. “I really think that my
patriotism ­ if you’ll excuse the expression ­
and my love of this profession demand that I have to stay and fight.”