[Ppnews] FBI Struggling to Reinvent Itself to Fight Terror

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Oct 13 15:05:25 EDT 2006

NYT 10/10/2006

F.B.I. Struggling to Reinvent Itself to Fight Terror
[]

Stephen Crowley/The New York Times

Philip Mudd, one of the highest-ranking F.B.I.
officials, at agency headquarters in Washington.

By
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/scott_shane/index.html?inline=nyt-per>SCOTT
SHANE and
<http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?ppds=bylL&v1=LOWELL
BERGMAN&fdq=19960101&td=sysdate&sort=newest&ac=LOWELL
BERGMAN&inline=nyt-per>LOWELL BERGMAN
Published: October 10, 2006

WASHINGTON, Oct. 9 — Last February, top
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/f/federal_bureau_of_investigation/index.html?inline=nyt-org>F.B.I.
officers from across the nation gathered in a
high-security auditorium for the latest plan to
reinvent the crime-fighting agency to take on terrorism.

[]

Stephen Crowley/The New York Times

Robert S. Mueller III, director of the F.B.I.,
testifying before a Senate committee hearing last May.
[]

Max Whittaker for The New York Times

The Lodi Muslim Mosque in Lodi, Calif.

Philip Mudd, who had just joined the bureau from
the rival
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/c/central_intelligence_agency/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Central
Intelligence Agency, was pitching a program
called Domain Management, designed to get agents
to move beyond chasing criminal cases and start gathering intelligence.

Drawing on things like commercial marketing
software and the
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_security_agency/index.html?inline=nyt-org>National
Security Agency’s eavesdropping without warrants,
the program is supposed to identify threats. Mr.
Mudd displayed a map of the San Francisco area,
pocked with data showing where Iranian immigrants
were clustered — and where, he said, an F.B.I. squad was “hunting.”

Some F.B.I. officials found Mr. Mudd’s concept
vague and the implied ethnic targeting troubling.
How were they supposed to go “hunting” without
colliding with the Constitution? Would the C.I.A.
man, whom some mocked privately as Rasputin, take
the bureau back to the domestic spying scandals
of the 1960’s? And why neglect promising cases
to, in Mr. Mudd’s words, “search for the unknown”?

The skepticism is just one sign of unfinished
business at the bureau. Five years after the
Sept. 11 attacks spurred a new mission, F.B.I.
culture still respects door-kicking investigators
more than deskbound analysts sifting through
tidbits of data. The uneasy transition into a spy
organization has prompted criticism from those
who believe that the bureau cannot competently
gather domestic intelligence, and others,
including some insiders, who fear that it can.

Eight months after his talk, Mr. Mudd admits that
some in the bureau do not accept his guiding
premise: that arresting bad guys is sometimes
less important than collecting intelligence to uncover the next terrorist plot.

“There’s 31,000 employees in this organization
and we’re undergoing a sea-change,” he said in an
interview. “It’s going to take a while for what
is a high-end national security program to sink down to every officer.”

The top counterterrorism job has turned over
repeatedly — seven people in five years — filled
mostly by veterans with little expertise on
Islamist movements and terrorist networks. Many
counterterrorism agents have minimal specialized
training. A National Security Agency executive
brought in to reshape the bureau’s intelligence
capabilities, Maureen Baginski, departed after
clashing with F.B.I. old-timers. The intelligence
units Ms. Baginski created in the 56 field
offices lack clear instructions and some are
“struggling,” a recent Congressional study found.

And some bureau traditionalists believe that Mr.
Mudd, too, will move on from his job as second in
command of the bureau’s new National Security
Branch. “They’ll just wait him out,” a counterterrorism official said.

After interviewing more than 60 intelligence
officials for a new book on counterterrorism, Amy
Zegart, of the
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/university_of_california/index.html?inline=nyt-org>University
of California, Los Angeles, reached a dismal verdict on the F.B.I.

“If you look at, for example, the four key
ingredients for counterterrorism success —
agents, analysts, managers and computers — the
F.B.I. is struggling to get the basics right on
all of them,” Ms. Zegart said. “New agents still
get more time for vacation than they do for
counterterrorism training. Analysts are still
treated as glorified secretaries.”

In interviews by The New York Times and the
Public Broadcasting System documentary series
“Frontline,” even critics acknowledged the
sweeping structural changes at the bureau under
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/robert_s_iii_mueller/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Robert
S. Mueller III, who took over as director a week before the Sept. 11 attacks.

The number of Joint Terrorism Task Forces, in
which F.B.I. agents collaborate with state and
local agencies, has ballooned to 101, from 35.
The number of intelligence analysts has doubled
to 2,161, and the number of linguists has doubled
to 1,371. And the F.B.I. points out that there
has been no new terrorist attack.

Mr. Mudd said agents were encouraged to postpone
the arrest of a terrorism suspect until his ties
to other operatives, financial supporters and
foreign networks were fully understood.

“I don’t want to take him down too quickly,” he
said. “I want to understand what we know and what
we don’t know. If we’re focused solely on cases,
I can’t have confidence that we know what’s going on.”

But the drive to bring criminal charges often
eclipses the intelligence imperative. In cases
from Lodi, Calif., where a 23-year-old man was
convicted this year of training in a terrorist
camp in Pakistan, to Miami, where seven Haitian
men are charged with waging war against the
United States government, defendants who seemed
nowhere near ready to mount an attack were
arrested with a news media splash rather than quietly kept under surveillance.

Christopher D. Hamilton, who retired last year
after 22 years at the F.B.I., half of it working
on counterterrorism, said agents still believed
that their careers would rise or fall on the cases they brought.

“Supervisors will say, ‘Why don’t you have any
cases?’ ” said Mr. Hamilton, now at the
Washington Institute for Near East Policy. “Cases
are good for getting resources, good for publicity and good for morale.”

Even a Los Angeles case that federal officials
describe as the most operationally advanced of
post-2001 plots uncovered in the United States
appears to show a gap between public relations and reality.

In that case, three men are charged with
committing robberies to raise money for jihadist
attacks on synagogues and military recruiting
stations, in what Director Mueller has described
as a bid to create
“<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/a/al_qaeda/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Al
Qaeda in California.” Their actions are said to
have been directed by Kevin James, who headed a Muslim group behind bars.

But agents checked on more than 100 prisoners
with links to Mr. James and charged none. And
though Mr. James has been portrayed as the
mastermind, reporters for The New York Times and
“Frontline” were repeatedly able to visit him in
jail in Santa Ana, Calif. Such access is almost
never granted to people accused of terrorism
because the authorities fear that they could direct a plot from prison.

But if making arrests is no longer the top
priority, many agents fear that an ill-defined
quest for domestic intelligence is likely to lead
to political trouble, as the hunt for Communists
in the 1960’s led to surveillance on the Rev. Dr.
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/k/martin_luther_jr_king/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Martin
Luther King Jr. and John Lennon. Michael Rolince,
a veteran F.B.I. counterterrorism official who
retired last year, said the attorney general’s
investigative guidelines, first imposed as a
reform in 1976, “are absolutely necessary to keep
F.B.I. agents out of trouble.”

But the guidelines, largely classified, have been
loosened repeatedly in the last 30 years, most
recently in 2003 to permit “threat assessments”
without evidence of a crime. Officials say
uncertainty in field offices about how the rules
apply today has slowed the move to intelligence.
They plan to issue new instructions to top agents
from each field office this month.

Mr. Mudd said he knew that concern about civil
liberties was “in the DNA” at the F.B.I., and he
recently read a biography of J. Edgar Hoover,
whose long tenure as director was marred by
abuses, to recall the dangers of uncontrolled domestic spying.

Still, he said, “I do bristle a bit at people
saying, ‘You want to just go back to the 60’s and 70’s.’ ”

Intelligence on the terrorist threat involves not
just spying, Mr. Mudd said, but also building a
close relationship with leaders in Muslim communities.

To help agents and analysts distinguish genuine
threats from routine Islamist rhetoric, the
bureau has just doubled its basic training on
counterterrorism to about 80 hours. Skeptics
note, however, that more time is devoted to firearms training.

“The F.B.I. needs to follow the lead of the small
group of agents who’ve made themselves experts,”
said Evan F. Kohlmann, a consultant to the bureau
and Scotland Yard and author of a book and Web site devoted to Al Qaeda.

Mr. Kohlmann said the dozen agents who knew
international terror networks best were rarely brought in on local cases.

Knowledgeable employees say Muslim agents number
no more than a dozen of the bureau’s 12,664
agents. (The bureau says it does not track
employees by religion.) And an F.B.I. tradition
that values leadership and personal connections
more than specialized knowledge has resulted in
counterterrorism bosses with minimal background.

“You need leadership. You don’t need
subject-matter expertise,” said Gary M. Bald,
whom Mr. Mueller named last year as the first
head of the National Security Branch, admitting
in a 2005 deposition that he knew little about
Islam. Mr. Bald has since left for a security job with a cruise line.

The awkward tension between intelligence and
prosecution was on vivid display in the Lodi
case. The investigation began in late 2001 as an
intelligence operation to size up two imams from
Pakistan whom the authorities believed had ties to extremists.

After four years of surveillance, agents had
found no evidence of terrorism-related crimes by
the imams, who were deported to Pakistan.
Instead, the government prosecuted Hamid Hayat,
23, who faces a maximum sentence of 39 years in
prison for attending a terrorist training camp in
Pakistan. His father, Umer Hayat, 48, is free
after a mistrial and a guilty plea to making a false statement.

The Lodi case produced worldwide headlines about
an “Al Qaeda cell” in California, and
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/n/john_d_negroponte/index.html?inline=nyt-per>John
D. Negroponte, the director of national
intelligence, called it the prime example of a
“homegrown jihadist cell” in Congressional
testimony. But critics of the case, including
several former agents, say it has serious and revealing shortcomings.

The informant in the case, a convenience store
clerk who was paid more than $200,000 over four
years in salary and expenses, could be heard on
tape angrily ordering Hamid Hayat to seek
terrorist training. His claim that he saw
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/z/ayman_al_zawahiri/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Ayman
al-Zawahri, Al Qaeda’s second in command, at the
Lodi mosque in 1998 or 1999 was admitted by the government to be inaccurate.

The video of Hamid Hayat’s confession showed
agents prompting his answers and sometimes
insisting on their own version. And his account
of the camp bore no resemblance to that of his
father, who said it was an underground facility
where would-be terrorists dressed as “Ninja
turtles” and practiced pole-vaulting.

The interrogation tapes so outraged James J.
Wedick, who retired in 2004 after 35 years as an
F.B.I. agent, that he worked for the defense
without charge. “It’s shameful, because I’ve
never seen the department do this before,” Mr. Wedick said.

The Hayats, he concluded, were saying whatever
they thought the agents wanted to hear, and
little effort was made to corroborate their confessions.

The case also raised questions about agents’
familiarity with Islam, as some scholars say
agents misinterpreted a scrap of paper with a Muslim prayer as a jihadist vow.

Finally, several other Pakistani Americans whom
the Hayats said had visited terrorist camps have
not been charged, suggesting that the F.B.I. does
not believe at least some parts of the Hayats’
confessions. The management of the case appears
at odds with the new philosophy of following up
all leads before any public charges are brought.

A lingering question in the Lodi case is the
effect on Pakistanis in the area. Some mosque
leaders who saw the Pakistani imams as militant
interlopers are glad they are gone. But few
believe that the Hayats ever posed a threat.

Taj Khan, a retired engineer and leader among the
Pakistanis in Lodi, said the Hayats’ experience
had made residents more reluctant to cooperate with the F.B.I.

“Everybody’s clear that as soon as they talk to
the F.B.I.,” Mr. Khan said, “they might be, you know, put in the slammer.”

There is, he added, “not much trust at all.”

Drew S. Parenti, the special agent in charge of
the Sacramento office of the F.B.I., defended the
case, saying, “Everything we did in this case was
lawful, ethical, proper, was reviewed by a judge
and was determined by a jury of peers to be
sufficient evidence to sustain conviction.”

But Mr. Scott, the United States attorney, now
says it was a mistake to label the case as a Qaeda plot.

“We probably, at the end of the day, should not
have used that term,” he said. “One of the
biggest mistakes that we can make is to overhype
these cases on the front end. And if it is a
widely held perception out there that we did that
in this case, then I regret that, because that was never our intent.”

Jordan deBree, Rob Harris and Jeff Kearns
contributed reporting from Lodi, Calif.