[Ppnews] First SHAC 7 Defendant Starts Prison Sentence

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Oct 5 08:55:46 EDT 2006

Andrew Stepanian became the first SHAC 7 defendant to start his prison
sentence today. Andy turned himself in at MDC Brooklyn, where he will
remain for up to 120 days awaiting a long term prison assignment from the
Bureau of Prisons. Prior to turning himself in today, Andy did an
interview with the radio show "Democracy Now."

Tuesday, October 3rd, 2006
First Member of SHAC 7 Heads to Jail for Three Year Sentence

----------
We look at one of the country's most controversial cases involving
the prosecution of activists for animal rights. Earlier this year,
six people were convicted for their role in a campaign to stop animal
testing by the British scientific firm Huntingdon Life Sciences.

The activists are with a group called Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty,
or SHAC. Unlike other cases, the activists were never accused of
causing physical damage. Instead, they were convicted of targeting
Huntingdon workers, shareholders, and associates by posting personal
information about employees and their families on the internet. The
case has drawn scrutiny from civil rights advocates who say groups
like SHAC have been singled out because they campaign against major
corporations. The FBI has called animal rights groups the nation's
number one domestic terror threat.

Our next guest is a SHAC 7 member whose jail term begins today.
Andrew Stepanian has been sentenced to three years in prison - the
maximum allowed under the Animal Enterprise Protection Act. He is the
first SHAC 7 member to go to jail following the convictions. We also
speak with Andrew Erba, one of the lead attorneys in the case.

    * Andrew Stepanian, member of SHAC 7. He joins us on the line
from Huntington, New York. More information at
<http://www.shac7.com>SHAC7.com.
    * Andrew Erba, one of the lead attorneys in the SHAC 7 case.
Speaking to us from Philadelphia.

AMY GOODMAN: Our next guest is a SHAC 7 member whose jail term begins
today. Andrew Stepanian has been sentenced to three years in prison,
the maximum allowed under the Animal Enterprise Protection Act. He is
the first SHAC 7 member to go to jail following the convictions. He
is speaking with us from Huntington, New York. We welcome you to
Democracy Now!, Andrew Stepanian.

But before we begin, a warning for our television audience. We'll be
playing some graphic footage taken of lab tests inside the Huntingdon
facility in 1997. The video led the British government to temporarily
take away Huntingdon's license.

We're also joined by Andrew Erba. He has been one of the lead
attorneys in the SHAC 7 case, and he joins us from a studio in
Philadelphia. Andrew Stepanian, you are turning yourself in today.
Explain what you were convicted of.

ANDREW STEPANIAN: I was convicted of one count of a numerous count
indictment that came down on both myself and co-defendants, including
the corporation Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty USA, to which I was
not a member. I didn't facilitate a website. But with the website,
with the corporation and myself, all of these charges stem from
speech-related activity, whether or not that was speech on internet
or if it was speech engaged at a peaceful demonstration, most done
with the oversight of police. And that's where my charge came in.

I sat through a court case of about 40 days, and at the end of it, I
was convicted, mainly on evidence stemming from my attendance at a
protest against an auditing firm by the name of Deloitte & Touche.
The prosecutors claim that because Deloitte & Touche severed its
relationship with Huntingdon Life Sciences, Huntingdon Life Sciences
may have incurred more than $10,000 in damages. And as long as a
threshold of $10,000 is met, I could participate in legal activities
leading up to that point, but the second I cause $10,000 of
intellectual damage, then I could be charged under this conspiracy to
violate the Animal Enterprise Protection Act. I would be charged with
a substantive charge if I actually destroyed some property, for
example, that was worth $10,000, but in this case, it was a purely
intellectual matter.

And that demonstration, in particular, the Nassau County Police in
Long Island appeared on the scene. They didn't find any reason to
cite any of the people in attendance of the demonstration, including
myself, and I was more than open about my attendance at that
demonstration. I had no idea that at the end of a 40-or-so-day trial,
that that is why I'm going to end up serving 36 months in jail.

AMY GOODMAN: Your sentence was upped, because you had a party a few
weeks ago, a going-away party?

ANDREW STEPANIAN: Yeah. My mother thought it was a good idea to have
a going-away party for myself. I used to be a promoter in the punk
rock scene a few years ago on Long Island. I also was a talent buyer
at a club called The Downtown in Long Island, New York. And so, a
bunch of bands got together and played a show in my backyard. And the
best that I can make of it is that people that were like-minded got
together, and there must have been some folks who decided to go out
and do a demonstration that night.

Again, the demonstration wasn't illegal. No property was damaged, but
the fact that a demonstration happened on the same day as my
going-away party, it warranted some response from the prosecution
during sentencing, saying that I'm a lightning rod for this type of
activity, and if I'm not a leader, that I should start acting like a
leader and try to stop activism like this on Long Island. It's my
contention that at this point I'm being prosecuted as a leader, and
I'm not a leader, and I'm not about to start becoming a leader in
this movement and dissuade people from following their hearts and
getting involved with activism that I think is righteous.

AMY GOODMAN: Andrew Stepanian, let me read you from the Southern
Poverty Law Center intelligence report. It's by Heidi Beirich and Bob
Moser. Just the beginning of it.

ANDREW STEPANIAN: Okay.

AMY GOODMAN: It says, "A Chicago insurance executive might seem like
one of the last people who'd be opening a letter with this succinctly
chilling message: 'You have been targeted for terrorist attack.' But
that's what happened last year, when a top official at Marsh USA Inc.
was informed that he and his company's employees had landed in the
crosshairs of an extremist animal rights group. The reason? Marsh
provides insurance for one of the world's biggest animal testing
labs. 'If you bail out now,' the letter advised, 'you, your business,
and your family will be spared great hassle and humility.'

"That letter -- and the harassment campaign that followed, after
Marsh declined to 'bail out' -- was another shot fired by Stop
Huntingdon Animal Cruelty (SHAC). This British-born group, now firmly
established in the United States, is waging war on anyone involved
with Huntingdon Life Sciences, which tests drugs on approximately
70,000 rats, dogs, monkeys and other animals each year. In the
process, SHAC is rewriting the rules by which even the most radical
eco-activists have traditionally operated.

"In the past, even the edgiest American eco-warriors drew the line at
targeting humans. They trumpeted underground activists' attacks on
businesses and laboratories perceived as abusing animals or the
environment -- the FBI reports more than 600 incidents, causing $43
million in damage, since 1996. But spokespeople for the two most
active groups in the U.S., the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) and the
Earth Liberation Front (ELF), have always been quick to claim that
their underground cells have never injured or killed any people.

"Since 1999, however, members of both groups have been involved with
SHAC's campaign to harass employees of Huntingdon -- and even
distantly related business associates like Marsh - with frankly
terroristic tactics similar to those of anti-abortion extremists.
Employees have had their homes vandalized with spray-painted 'Puppy
killer' and 'We'll be back' notices. They have faced a mounting
number of death threats, fire bombings and violent assaults. They've
had their names, addresses and personal information posted on Web
sites and posters, declaring them 'wanted for collaboration with
animal torture.'

"When cowed companies began responding to the harassment by pulling
away from Huntington, many radical environmentalists cheered - even
when SHAC's actions clearly went over the 'nonviolent' line." Your response?

ANDREW STEPANIAN: My response to that is that historically, the
animal rights movement still to date has never hurt anyone in the
United States. And so, to somehow say that we're at par with
anti-abortion extremists is a bit of a stretch. Anti-abortion
extremists obviously have hurt people. I can't be the spokesperson
for SHAC, SHAC USA Incorporated, and especially not the activities of
SHAC in the UK. I was a volunteer with a group called the Animal
Defense League of Long Island, and my involvement with SHAC began the
second I was indicted with everybody else in accordance with this conspiracy.

All I could really say in regards to what you just repeated to me is
that some of that seems grossly exaggerated. And that's just from my
experience with sitting in on this trial and the court record. I
don't recall at any point the prosecutors ever alleging or saying
that a letter of that nature ever arose. And I was pretty attentive,
taking notes the entire time during the trial. Also, there was never
an incident of human-to-human violence that happened in the United
States. The historical record will show that things like spray
paintings did happen, and demonstrations happened out in front of
people's houses.

And, in fact, I think the most violent rhetoric that was read back
into an email was something in regards to "How would you feel if
someone treated your child the way these poor animals are being
treated?" Later on, I read a New York Times article that showed that
an FBI agent was misquoting that same exact quote that was given
during testimony, that was alleged to have been in an email received
from an anonymous individual, not SHAC or SHAC USA or SHAC UK or any
of the parties sitting there in the court case, but rather an
anonymous individual, saying, "How would you like it if your child
was treated that way?" And that's open to a great deal of
speculation. You can go and say, alright, maybe someone's trying to
make someone feel empathy for an animal the way people feel empathy
for a child. And there was a lot of room for argument, obviously, in
the eyes of the prosecution.

But when it comes down to it, at the end of the day, no one was hurt.
SHAC USA, on their website, never advocated for anyone to be hurt.
SHAC USA, at the bottom of every page, when you load up the html,
always had a disclaimer that said that we do not advocate any form of
violent activity, and in fact, we urge people that when they write
letters or they send emails, that they're polite, they're to the
point, they're not threatening in nature. And, obviously, all that
happened on the SHAC USA website was a legal form of reporting. It
wasn't, "You go and go do this or go annoy these people or go harass
these people," but rather, "These are the people that are supporting
this laboratory. This is how they put bread on the table. And this is
how this company exists." The website existed for a purpose, to say,
"This company is an organism. And there are different things that
feed this organism and keep it alive."

Whether or not people took that information and did less than savory
things or things that even made myself feel uncomfortable, well, that
wasn't necessarily the business of SHAC USA to be responsible for.
The only business that they had was reporting on the facts. And all
that, no matter how uncomfortable you might say it is, is protected
underneath the First Amendment.

AMY GOODMAN: Andrew Stepanian, speaking to us before he turns himself
in today. And, Andrew, let me say that I was reading to you from a
fall 2002 article, which doesn't specifically describe the case that
you were involved with. Andrew Erba also joins us from Philadelphia,
Andrew Stepanian's lawyer. Can you put SHAC 7, this case, in the
context of other conspiracy cases?

ANDREW ERBA: Well, actually, it's very important piece of legal
actions, because it moves the internet into prosecution. I mean,
really what is being prosecuted here is, as Andy said, the posting of
notices, the posting of news, the exchange of emails on an internet
website. The government says that as a result of this posting of
information, which otherwise, I think, is completely legal and First
Amendment-protected, other individuals were incited to take actions.
But the government has never proven any individual actually read the
information on the website and then took an immediate action based on
that, which is the test under Brandenburg v. Ohio.

And so, what we have is a very important extension of a
constitutional doctrine into an area, which I think affects many
activist groups, because, certainly, if we look on the web today, on
the internet, many people hold websites which say things which may be
somewhat rhetorical, may be somewhat passionate, and as a result of
posting that, if someone should act on that, should that website,
should that activist group be held responsible? I think not, under
the First Amendment.

AMY GOODMAN: Andrew Erba, can you compare the Animal Enterprise
Protection Act, an industry-specific statute that provides harsher
sentences for those protesting animal-related businesses than perhaps
those protesting women's health clinics around the issue of abortion?

ANDREW ERBA: One of the things we have to understand is that -- and
this is one of our arguments, will be in the Third Circuit -- that
the government is really misconstruing the Animal Enterprise
Protection Act. It's a very specific act, and what it really
prohibits is someone who would go on the property of an animal
enterprise and free an animal that's in an experiment or break a
window or knock down a door -- I mean, do something physically in a
trespass action.

Now, what the government has done in this case is transmute that into
an action which says that if I organize activities, which may lead to
someone organizing against an animal enterprise, they're held
responsible. And this is in direct contradiction to the legislation
under the abortion statutes or the anti-abortion statutes, to really
talk about a specific action, a person picketing an abortion clinic,
a person preventing a woman from entering an abortion clinic. So, in
one sense, the government has accepted that it has to have a greater
nexus, but with the Animal Enterprise Protection Act, they've lost
that nexus and really are prosecuting people who merely advocate
having a movement against the various animal enterprise. And so,
therefore, we feel it's a gross extension of what Congress intended
under the act.

AMY GOODMAN: Andrew Stepanian, if you had this all to do again, would
you do it differently?

ANDREW STEPANIAN: I would have to say no. I mean, I have a minimal
involvement with this, from start to finish. And my only involvement
was with the Animal Defense League of Long Island, a group that's
been acclaimed by local politicians. I recently got an award from
both the U.S. military and the United States Humane Society for my
work down in New Orleans helping right after Hurricane Katrina. And,
you know, it's like, these are activities that I partake in with my
affinity group and my activists in Long Island, and I'm proud to be
working with them. What motivated us to help the people down in New
Orleans is exactly what motivated us to get involved with, you know,
picketing Deloitte & Touche, saying that they shouldn't support the
murder of 180,000 animals each day.

And with closing that, you know, I think that what scares me is that
it doesn't end here. Currently, the Senate subcommittee hearings that
are trying to broaden these laws and have them go after other
specific focus activist groups. And if I can quote Senator James
Inhofe, a Republican from Oklahoma, dated October 26 of 2005, he
says, "It seems to me unimaginable that this country's worldwide
symbol of the integrity of capital markets, the New York Stock
Exchange, would capitulate to threats, or in this case even the mere
threat of threats from a single-issue extremist group. Appeasing
these groups only validates their effectiveness and the effectiveness
of their tactics and inspires them to replicate this model of
activism in some sort of other venue. What then happens when the
activists move to the timber, the defense or some sort of other
controversial industry?"

And I interpret that and that entire Senate subcommittee hearing as,
they don't want effective models of activism, like the Stop
Huntingdon Animal Cruelty campaign, to be applied to antiwar
activism, to be applied to women's health issues, to be applied to
civil rights issues, to be applied to -- for example, in great model
would be organizing against sweatshops.

And this is something that obviously is important to me, and I am
ready to go to the Third Circuit. I'm ready to appeal. And I'm ready
to win on this issue, because I think that at the end of the day, I'm
not willing to have my name brought up in the middle of a battle that
loses and thus chills free speech for all types of people that
believe in all different kinds of issues around this country, even
issues I don't agree with. I want people to have that freedom to go
do what they want to do.

AMY GOODMAN: Andrew, how old are you?

ANDREW STEPANIAN: 28 years old. I'm going to be 31 when I get out.
Obviously, it's stressful. <http://www.shac7.com>www.shac7.com is a
website where people can get in touch with how to write us letters or
how to donate to legal defense, and it has not only bios on myself,
but my other co-defendants, great individuals like Kevin Kjonaas,
Lauren Gazzola, Darius Fulmer, Jacob Conroy and Josh Harper. They all
could use letters, when we're all in jail. And we obviously want to
thank our supporters that are out there.

AMY GOODMAN: And where will turn yourself in?

ANDREW STEPANIAN: I'm turning myself in on Cadman Plaza West today at
the U.S. courthouse. I'm going to be meeting up with some U.S.
marshals there. And I do believe that they are going to be taking me
to the Metropolitan Detention complex in Brooklyn.

AMY GOODMAN: I want to thank you for joining us, Andrew Stepanian and
Andrew Erba, your attorney, joining us from Philadelphia.