[Ppnews] Lynne Stewart - Stand Up on October 15 & 16

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Oct 3 13:43:22 EDT 2006

Friends & Americans--

Throughout American history, a number of attorneys have placed
people's needs and human rights before personal desire for wealth and
position.  Most toil in obscurity, defending the indigent in criminal
cases that few lawyers care to touch, others support mothers and
children in the least glamorous of civil cases, helping them to
remain in their homes and to put food on the table.

A few, like the late Bill Kunstler, rise to fame, devote themselves
to people's movements, and live their later days, with no lack of
stress, but in the comfort of family and friends.

Rarely does an attorney find herself in a controversy as notorious as
that of her best known clients; rarely does a grandmother, suffering
from cancer, disbarred from her livelihood, ever-vigilant for the
rights of all of us, face the fate of a political prisoner, face the
abyss of the American (could it happen here?) gulag.

I do not think that I overstate the case when I make the claim that
one school-teacher-turned-lawyer has become exemplary in the history
of people's movements for her singular dedication to the rule of law,
democratic principles, and the human rights of the powerless, poor and reviled.

Lynne Stewart is not now, nor has she ever been, a terrorist.

Lynne Stewart has been tried and convicted for her sheroic devotion
to the American Constitution.

Lynne Stewart has been tried and convicted by a government that has
relentlessly transferred power from the American people to a
seemingly conscienceless coterie of neo-cons, con-artists and
enablers (nominal dissenters better known for being nowhere when we need them).

Please read "The Case of Lynne Stewart" by Heidi Boghosian and Ian
Head, a publication of the National Lawyers Guild, and visit the
website, www.lynnestewart.org.  Please investigate this case further
on your own.  I think that you will be convinced that Lynne's case is
a watershed in our ongoing struggle for human rights.

It is not for Lynne alone that I ask you to stand up, but for
yourself and for your friends and for all those who stand up to
injustices known and unimaginable.  After all, who is going to defend
all of us?

Please prioritize your schedule for Sunday, October 15 and Monday,
October 16.  Please add the following information to your calendar.

SUNDAY, October 15, 4:00 PM
RALLY AND TRIBUTE
Riverside Church, between 120 & 122nd Street and Riverside Drive, Manhattan
(#1 or 9 to 125th Street)
On the eve of the sentencing, show your support and love for Lynne Stewart.
A tribute to her legal career and to her political life.  Speakers
and Entertainment include Vinie Burrows, Michael Warren, Raging
Grannies, Peace Grannies, Howie Hawkins, Michael Smith, Michael
Ratner, Professor Louie, Ralph Shoeman, Jeff Mackler, Black Waxx, and more!

MONDAY, October 16, 8:00 AM
RALLY AND SENTENCING
Tom Paine Park (Foley Square) Centre St and Worth St, Manhattan
(#6, J, M to Brooklyn Bridge or Chambers Street)
Rally to accompany Lynne Stewart to Court.  Demonstrate your support.
You cannot be too "busy" for this historic moment.  One to tell your
grandchildren about.  Crucial to the atmosphere of outraged citizenry
we need.  Be there for the early rally.  Go with Lynne to court.  If
there's no room... rally outside the courthouse in the square.

Thank you.

--zool

Paul H. Zulkowitz
The Art & Politics of Justice & Joy