[Ppnews] Freeman Family - Stop Extradition

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 2 11:56:10 EDT 2006

Dear Friends and Supporters,

The office of the Minister of Justice has requested a further
extension to the end of October to make a decision on whether or not
to extradite Gary. We trust that he is carefully examining our
request to deny the extradition in a just and fair manner.

It concerns us that Gary, an African-American man who escaped the
U.S. after facing racial persecution, should face return to Chicago
at the hands of a police department recently implicated in torture by
the infamous Burge report. The report by special Chicago prosecutors
belatedly appointed to investigate charges of police torture in the
Chicago South Side district confirmed Chicago police tortured and
brutalized African-American men for more than 20 years.

Yet, despite the confirmation by internal investigations of horrific
atrocities committed against African-American men, none of the police
responsible for hundreds of acts of torture will face prosecution for
using illegal techniques like electrical shocks to the genitals, ears
and lips with a cattle prod or an electric shock box, Russian
roulette, beatings with a rubber hose, suffocation and mock
executions. Prosecutors claim these crimes against humanity cannot be
prosecuted because the cases are too old and the statute of
limitations has expired. There was only one firing, in 1993, with
full pension benefits, and some of the police officers involved have
even been promoted and are still with the same Chicago police department.

Yet, Chicago seeks the extradition of my husband, who is a victim of
racial and political persecution for an incident which took place in
this same South Side district of Chicago. He has always maintained
his innocence.  He was a victim of police brutality and he came to
Canada because he didn't want to die -- he came to Canada to survive.

To our knowledge, this police torture scandal hasn't been covered in
the Canadian media. Why? This is a huge violation of the UN
Convention against Torture on a par with U.S. torture violations at
Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib -- and that is according to United
Nations Committee against Torture. (Attached is a small sample of
articles on the Burge Report)

The direct relationship between the aforementioned and Gary's
situation is that Gary too was a victim of Chicago police brutality
in 1969 on the streets of Chicago.

Our suffering as a family torn apart will not be over until Gary is
returned to us.

We extend our deepest gratitude to everyone who has supported us.
Please continue with your support by writing to our Minister of
Justice, the Honourable Vic Toews. Please remind him that it is a
core Canadian value to protect the sanctity of the family and that he
allow the principles of justice and humanitarian compassion to be his
guiding light and deny this unjust extradition request.

Recently, numerous Members of Parliament who have reviewed the
background of Gary's case have written letters of concern to Minister
Toews. Please visit our website www.freemandrum.org to read their
letters of support.

A heartfelt thank you,
Natercia and the Coelho-Freeman family

Please write this week to:

The Honourable Vic Toews, P.C., B.A., LL.B.
Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada
284 Wellington Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H8