[Ppnews] A Kangaroo Court Would Be an Improvement

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Nov 21 08:51:21 EST 2006

http://willyritch.com/?p=557

<http://willyritch.com/?p=557>A Kangaroo Court Would Be an Improvement

[Links to listen to the tapes are at the NPR website below]

<http://willyritch.com/wp-content/photos/557.pic.jpg>
[]

NPR has obtained tapes of portions of the
hearings held at Guantanamo Bay that are supposed
to determine if the detainees being held there
are “enemy combatants.” NPR got hold of the tapes
through a Freedom of Information request, and
were only able to obtain tapes of the
“unclassified” portion of the proceedings. (In
fact, even the detainees themselves are not
allowed to hear what happens during the
classified sections.) In the tapes that NPR
broadcast, we hear a detainee who has been held
for five years. In his single hearing he tells
the court he is not a combatant, but the only
witnesses he can call on his behalf are other detainees.

In a story that ran yesterday on NPR, a lawyer
for two detainees said that in about 400 cases he
studied, nearly every time the result was the
same: the hearing ended with the government
declaring that the defendant was an enemy
combatant, often that same day. Mark Denbeaux
says that in the few cases the tribunal found the
detainees not to be enemy combatants, when that
result reached Washington the Defense Department
ordered a rehearing, and if necessary a
“re-rehearing” until the tribunal finally came up
with the desired result: a decision that the
detainees was, in fact, an enemy combatant.

Denbeaux tells NPR that in the cases he studied
the government did not provide a single witness
for their cases and in only a dozen or so
instances did they offer any evidence at all in
the portion of the trial that the detainee was
allowed to attend. Detainees were allowed to
challenge the evidence against them, but since
that evidence was all confined to the secret
portion of the hearing, they had no way of
knowing what that evidence actually was.

In 2004 the Supreme Court ruled that the
government cannot simply declare someone an enemy
combatant and hold them indefinitely without any
sort of judicial review. In that 8-1 decision
there was some disagreement over what the
government did have to do with these detainees.
Although two justices wrote that the government
had to give the detainees a full, US-style
hearing in court, but in the end the majority
opinion only required the government to come up
with a type of hearing that allowed detainees a
“meaningful” chance to challenge their detention.
The government reacted by saying the detainees at
Guantanamo would be able to challenge their
status as enemy combatants in what is called the
“Combatant Status Review Tribunal.” It is the
tapes of those hearings that NPR has obtained.

Tapes Provide First Glimpse of Secret Gitmo Panels

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6514923

Listen to this story...
  by
<http://www.npr.org/templates/story//templates/story/story.php?storyId=2100981>Jackie
Northam

<http://www.npr.org/templates/story//templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=3>Morning
Edition, November 21, 2006 · Audio recordings
obtained by NPR provide the outside world with
its first window into the secret world of
military tribunals at the U.S. prison camp for
terrorism suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The recordings, made by the U.S. military, are of
tribunals held in the fall of 2004 to review the
"enemy combatant" status of six detainees who
were arrested in Bosnia in late 2001. Lawyers for
the men obtained the tapes under the Freedom of
Information Act and provided NPR with copies of the recordings.

The Combatant Status Review Tribunals are held in
small, low-ceiling trailers at Guantanamo Bay.
The Pentagon describes the proceedings as an
administrative process, so the detainees are not
allowed lawyers. There's a court reporter, a
translator and a panel of three military officers
to whom detainees tell their story, ask why they
are being held, and appeal for release.

The audio recordings of the Combatant Status
Review Tribunals are scratchy, of poor quality
and don't pick up much of what's happening in the
small room: You can't sense facial expressions or
body language, or that the detainee's arms and legs are shackled.

However, you can hear the tribunal president
inquire after the health and comfort of Mustafa
Ait Idir, one of several men whose tribunal tapes
were reviewed for this story.

"Are those on too tight?" the panel president
asks, referring to the shackles on Ait Idir's hands and feet.

"He says, 'I've had them on for a very long
time,'" a translator responds for the detainee.

No Set Pattern for Proceedings

Testimony at the tribunals doesn't appear to
follow any set pattern. Some start with
questioning from the military officers. At
others, the detainee will launch into a speech
about how they were arrested and sent to
Guantanamo, and how they're being treated at the
detention camp. Ait Idir speaks through a
translator for almost an hour before the tribunal
president interrupts him to inquire further about an incident of alleged abuse.

"Are you saying a soldier in Guantanamo Bay,
Cuba, broke your fingers?" the tribunal president asks.

"Soldiers took me and they placed me on the
ground in the rocks outside. They bound my hands
and my feet," Ait Idir responds through a
translator. He goes on to describe brutal
treatment allegedly at the hands of U.S. soldiers.

Ait Idir is one of six Algerians who lived in
Bosnia for about a decade before being arrested
shortly after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11,
2001, on suspicion of plotting to bomb the
American and British embassies in Sarajevo.

The men were held for three months, until
Bosnia's Supreme Court acquitted all of them. Ait
Idir and the others tell the tribunal that when
they walked out of the police station as free
men, they were quickly arrested again by Bosnian
and U.S. officials, put on a plane and sent to Guantanamo.

Learning of the Accusations Against Them

Hadj Boudella, one of the other detainees, tells
the military panel at his tribunal that this is
the first time he's heard some of the accusations against him.

"I've been here for three years, and these
accusations were just told to me," Boudella says.
"Nobody or any interrogator ever mentioned any of
these accusations you are talking to me about now."

What's striking is that, despite not knowing
fully why they're being held, enduring open-ended
detentions and sometimes harsh interrogations,
the detainees on these audio tapes express faith
that truth will prevail. Boudella tells the panel
that his lawyers -- at the Boston firm Wilmerhale
-- sent him a letter telling him not to
participate in the tribunal for fear of incriminating himself.

"I want to show you that I am really innocent,
and I want you to see I can defend myself,"
Boudella says on the recording. "If you're
innocent, no matter how people try to cover your innocence, it will come out."

Unclassified Evidence Is Slim

The detainees question the panel about the
evidence against them and ask for proof, rather
than just allegations. The audio recordings and
transcripts show that the unclassified evidence
is slim; for example, just a rundown of
allegations, petitions for habeus corpus, which
challenges the prisoners' detention, and
affidavits attached to those petitions; one has a
letter from Ait Idir's wife. At one point, Ait
Idir expresses disbelief over the lack of proof
and tells the panel he hoped it had more evidence it could give him.

"If I was in your place, but if a supervisor came
to me and showed me accusations like these, I
would take these accusations and I would hit him
in the face with them," he tells the panel, apologizing for being so blunt.

Ait Idir, Boudella and the others on the
recordings all ask that they be allowed to
provide the tribunal with additional evidence,
such as a copy of the decision by Bosnia's
Supreme Court, showing their acquittal.

One detainee asked that his supervisor at the Red
Crescent Society in Bosnia testify at the
proceeding. He is told that a request was made
twice to the U.S. State Department, which handles
the matter; each time, the date of the tribunal
was emphasized. The tribunal president says there
was no response from the State Department to either request.

In some cases, the detainees' representatives
don't know what efforts have or are being made to
locate requested evidence. The only witnesses
available to Ait Idir and Boudella are the other
men they were arrested with. Boudella asks one
witness the most pertinent question: "Do you know
if I belong to any terrorist organization or if I am a terrorist?"

In a simple, almost naïve answer, the witness
tells the tribunal that Boudella is not a
terrorist. "All I know about this person is that
he is a very nice and very good person. He takes
good care of his family," the other detainee says.

Critics Call Process Deeply Flawed

The military panel asks the detainees many
questions during each tribunal: Where they grew
up, where they worked, if they'd ever been to
Afghanistan, if they belonged to any terrorist
organizations. Then, the panel wraps up the
unclassified session of the tribunal.

"Mustafa, you shall be notified of the tribunal
decision upon completion of the review of these
proceedings by the convening authority in
Washington, D.C.," the tribunal president tells Ait Idir.

That was two years ago. Ait Idir and Boudella
were both found to be enemy combatants and remain
at Guantanamo Bay. In January, they will have
spent five years in the prison camp. They have
yet to be charged with any crimes.

Critics have always said that the Guantanamo
tribunals are deeply flawed. Among other things,
they point to the fact that detainees are only
allowed to sit in for the unclassified session of
the tribunal. They are banned from seeing or
hearing the classified information against them.

Lawyers at Seton Hall University recently
evaluated the records and transcripts for nearly
400 similar military hearings at Guantanamo. In
most cases, they found, the government did not
produce any witnesses at the tribunals, and
detainees were only allowed to use other detainees at witnesses.

"Ninety-six percent of the time, [the government]
produced no evidence of any sort," Seton Hall law
professor Mark Denbeaux told NPR's Robert Siegel.
Denbeaux represents two detainees and co-authored the report.

"They relied instead on secret evidence that was
classified," Denbeaux says. "And the government's
procedure was, anything in that secret evidence
was presumed to be valuable and valid. And then
the detainee was given the opportunity to rebut
the secret evidence. But he was never told what the secret evidence was."

The Pentagon dismisses such criticisms, arguing
that the tribunals are fair, and that the
detainees are allowed to state their case, and
produce witnesses and evidence of their own.