[Ppnews] Lauren Regan on Eugene pleas

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 15 08:52:35 EST 2006

This interview has some information on Daniel's
plea and is worth sharing. There is no mention of
their website which is <http://www.cldc.org/>cldc.org
thanks,
Family and Friends of Daniel McGowan

Willamette Week

<http://www.wweek.com/wwire/?p=6305>http://www.wweek.com/wwire/?p=6305

HOT ACTION: Lauren Regan, director of the Civil Liberties Defense Center

November 14th 2006 8:00am
BY: <http://www.wweek.com/wwire/?author_id=22>Julie Sabatier |
Lauren Regan

Hot Action, a post running on wwire each Tuesday
that aims to explore political action and
activists, debuts this week with Lauren Regan,
director of the Civil Liberties Defense Center in Eugene, Oregon.
Regan works on the legal team defending Joyanna
Zacher, Nathan Block, Daniel McGowan and Jonathan
Paul. Those four people pled guilty to arson and
conspiracy charges last week in Eugene as part of
an ongoing federal “eco-sabotage” case, involving
13 members of the Earth Liberation Front and the Animal Liberation Front.
The arsons, at venues such as the Vail Ski Resort
in Colorado and the Cavel West meatpacking plant
in Redmond, took place in four Western states
from 1996 and 2001, causing an estimated $30
million in property damage—but no harm to human life.
Between court appearances and a multitude of
meetings, Regan found a little time to chat with
us by phone about arson and integrity.
WW: Why did Zacher, Block, McGowan and Paul
change their pleas to ‘guilty’ when they
originally said they were not involved in these crimes?
Lauren Regan: I can’t speak for them
individually, but generally I can say that they
chose to accept responsibility as long as
accepting responsibility did not mean informing
on others and cooperating with the federal
government. Their co-defendants became federal
informants almost immediately. In a nutshell,
they basically wanted this to be the end of this
investigation. The informants have given a lot of
information about people and movements that does
not necessarily have a direct connection to this
case. All four definitely did admit in open court
that they participated in the arsons that they were accused of.
Three months ago, it looked like contesting the
government’s warrantless wiretaps in this case
could change the whole outlook. Why did you and
your clients ultimately decide not to pursue this challenge?
Initially, the government admitted that they
didn’t know if there had been any illegal wiretap
involved in this investigation. After months of
negotiating, [the defendants] agreed to withdraw
the NSA [National Security Agency] motion in
exchange for the government accepting any change
of plea. They basically got the same outcomes as
the non-cooperating defendants as those that were
offered to the cooperating defendants. The
non-cooperating defendants will get 18 months
more. In essence, there’s an 18-month tax for not
becoming a snitch, which these defendants were
more than happy to accept in order to keep their
integrity and their ethical views intact.
No one has yet been charged with “terrorism” in
this case. Is that likely to change?
No one has been charged with terrorism, but the
government will be seeking a terrorism
enhancement for all defendants and we’re going to
fight like hell to oppose that. The government is
seeking this enhancement, in my opinion, not
because they’re seeking to increase the potential
jail time (even though it can enhance it up to 20
years). We believe the government is seeking this
enhancement because that way they can say, ‘we
haven’t caught any real terrorists—Osama or
anything—but we did catch these ‘eco-terrorists’
in the Northwest.’
<http://www.wweek.com/author/?author=JULIE%20SABATIER>JULIE SABATIER