[Ppnews] Hunger Strike at Jessup in Maryland

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 15 08:46:52 EST 2006

From: Kate Piper <katherine_piper at hotmail.com>

The following was sent to me from Mustafah, a
comrade incarcerated in A-Building at JCI who is
organizing the collective resistance there.   His
contact info is at the bottom.  Please act and
foreward widely.  Here's the main number for the
prison: (410) 799-6100.  the warden's name is
j.smith and the security cheif's name is d.
whittaker.  i have a list of all prison majors,
captains, lieutenants, sergeants and guards
involved in the abuse if you'd like more information.

ABUSE AND TORTURE AT JESSUP CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION IN MARYLAND

Currently at Maryland’s Jessup Correctional
Institution, inside of its security housing unit,
A-Building, prisoners are being physically and
psychologically tortured at the hands of prison guards.

The level of brutality and torture is that of Abu
Ghraib in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.   The
practices of sensory deprivation, beatings of
prisoners held in 3-point restraints and
shackles, and inhumane conditions of confinement come in many forms.

Beginning in January 2006, over 25 prisoners have
been brutalized, tortured and terrorized here at
Jessup Correctional Institution.  The level of
corruption is at its height, with every rank
participating and the Warden and Security Chief allowing it to go on.

Prisoners are frequently deprived meals, water,
toiletries, cleaning supplies, recreation,
medical treatment, grievances, sufficient oxygen,
and a non-hazardous environment.  Our living
quarters are infested with rodents, ants, gnats,
roaches, and other insects.  The food trays and
showers are filthy with built up bacteria.  We
are even deprived of visits for extensive periods
of time without just cause. There exist clear
civil, constitutional, and human rights
violations.  These practices are in violation of
federal, state, and local laws, DOC policy, and
facility directives.  The brutality and torture
taking place are crimes against the men incarcerated in A-Building at JCI.

The medical staff at Jessup Correctional
Institution corroborates false reports written by
prison guards.  P.A. Moss and nursing personnel
refuse to treat prisoners who have been beaten by
guards.  Physical wounds and injuries sustained
by prisoners during attacks are not reported and
are not documented in their medical
records.  Prison guards are allowed access to
prisoners' medical records without approval.

Prisoners at JCI in Maryland have begun a
hunger/silent strike to protest these practices
against us.  We are the prisoners confined to
A-Building, the Security Housing Unit at JCI
where these practices are taking place.  We are
asking that the Justice Department and an outside
human rights agency come into JCI to speak with
every prisoner in A-Building.  We are asking that
every guard on all three shifts working in
A-Building be removed and replaced with other
personnel.  We are asking for an investigation of
all the incidents which have occurred during
2006, including guard attacks against
prisoners.  Pending the results of the
investigation, we ask that all personnel found to
be directly and indirectly involved be terminated
from employment in the Maryland Department of Corrections.

We appeal to you, the public, asking that those
amongst you of reasonable consciousness ,
especially those who have family members
imprisoned here or elsewhere throughout the state
come together to support us in exposing and
stopping this treatment.  These techniques of
terror are being practiced on prisoners in other
penal facilities across the United States, but it
goes unaddressed by the U.S. government.

There are some organizations, political parties,
and legal groups that have offered assistance,
but we need more public support from all sectors,
especially poor communities and communities of
color—the communities from which we come.  We
will provide you with a list of the guards involved.

The C-Wing prisoners inside A-Building at Jessup
Correctional Institution are currently on a
hunger/silent strike and desperately need your
help.  Torture, abuse, and brutality are crimes
in the U.S. and worldwide.  The government has a
duty to stop and prevent it and we need your help
holding them accountable to these duties.

Deputy Chairman, Maryland Branch NABPP-PC
Anthony Mustafah Chisley, #280-358
JCI      AC 303
PO Box 534
Jessup, MD 20794