[Ppnews] Govt. seeking authorization to appeal Lynne Stewart's sentence

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Nov 9 14:50:20 EST 2006

Govt. seeking authorization from Solicitor General to appeal Lynne
Stewart's sentence (and that of her co-defendants)

November 9, 2006

Hello All,

I am writing to update you on that status of Lynne Stewart's case
after her sentencing on October 16th.  While we were all relieved
that Lynne did not get 30 years, the Government has announced that it
has gone to the Solicitor General of the United States Justice
Department for authorization to appeal her sentence and that of her
co-defendants.  They are not challenging the bail pending appeal but
state that they will only agree to one 30 day adjournment of the
filing of the appeal because they want everyone serving their
sentences as soon as possible.  What does all this mean for
Lynne?  Lynne's attorneys are not surprised that the government wants
to appeal her sentence.  Although sentences are not usually appealed
it does happen and case law in the 2nd Circuit which governs Lynne's
case shows that although rare, when a sentence is appealed and the
Circuit sends the case back for resentencing the result is a far
longer sentence.  We are hopeful that Judge Koeltl's meticulous
sentencing decision will carry the day but we have no guarantees and
must continue our vigilance in the face of this latest move by the
government.   Of course Lynne's attorneys will be filing the appeal
of her conviction within the year.

Remember to save the date and join us in an "Ode to Joy &
Struggle".  December 9th 6:30  to ?  The evening will be held at the
beautifully renovated Judson Memorial Church, 55 Washington Square
South (near Thompson St.) in the West Village, New York City.  The
event is mostly one of joy but of course the struggle continues.  We
will also be commemorating Mumia Abu Jamal's 25 years behind bars and
to that end we will hear from:

Lynne Stewart - her case and current legal status

Pam Africa
Chair of International Concerned Family and Friends of Mumia Abu-Jamal

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit is currently
determining whether Abu-Jamal will be granted a new trial or sent
back to death row, which is the district attorney's preference.
Speaking about this at our event is Pam Africa, who will be joining
us after the annual rally in Philadelphia, which recognizes the day
Mumia Abu Jamal was shot and framed.

and

Robert Meeropol
Executive Director, Rosenberg Fund for Children

ABOUT ROBERT MEEROPOL

Robert Meeropol is the founder and Executive Director of the
Rosenberg Fund for Children (RFC). For the last 30 years he has been
an activist, writer and public speaker. He has successfully sued the
federal government and through the RFC, has assisted hundreds of
children whose parents also have been attacked for their social
activism. Robert is also the author of AN EXECUTION IN THE FAMILY
(now available in paperback from St. Martin's Press.) This political
memoir chronicles Meeropol's journey from childhood victim of
McCarthy-era repression; to 1960's militant activist; to politically
engaged parent and law student; to founder and leader of the
Rosenberg Fund for Children. ODE TO JOY AND STRUGGLE

Join Lynne Stewart and the Lynne Stewart Defense Committee in

  THANKING YOU !

for your support over these last 4+ years
and uniting for the struggle ahead

Saturday, December 9th , 7pm till .......
Judson Memorial Church
55 Washington Square South
New York, NY

Speakers:

Lynne Stewart
Pam Africa, International Concerned Family and Friends of Mumia Abu-Jamal
Robert Meeropol. Executive Director, Rosenberg Fund for Children

Music by:

Selah Eric Spruiell and The Fort Greene Project
Urbano Sanchez, Latin Jazz
Professor Louie and Fast Eddy
Professor Irwin Corey and Randy Credico
and MUCH more
(comedy, Latin jazz, rap)

Great Food & Drink provided

Judson Memorial Church resides on the southern edge of Washington
Square Park between Thompson and Sullivan Streets. Accessible by
subway from the 8th Street / NYU N and R stop, the West 4th Street A,
C, E, F and V stop or the Christopher Street / Sheridan Square 1, 2,
and 9 stop.

Mobility Handicapped please enter through Thompson Street entrance.

Lynne Stewart Defense Committee
350 Broadway, Suite 700
New York, NY 10013
212-625-9696