[Ppnews] Raid on press officer's home

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Nov 2 16:43:23 EST 2006

For Immediate Release
November 2, 2006
Contact: Jerry Vlasak, MD
(310) 251-0259

Santa Monica Police Raid Homes of Two Animal Liberation Press Officers

Police Refuse to Delineate Reason for Search Warrant; Similar Raid
Last Year Resulted in Costly Lawsuit by Activists

Los Angeles- Search warrants were served on the residences Tuesday of
two North American Animal Liberation Press Officers by the Santa
Monica Police Department. No arrests were made, and no reason was
given for the warrants, signed by Los Angeles Appellate Judge Paul
Turner. Thousands of dollars worth of private items were taken with
no explanation, confounding animal activists in the Los Angeles area,
which has seen increasingly effective animal advocacy in the last
several years.

In a similar action in 2004, the same agency raided the home of
Goldfinger lead guitarist John Feldman in Bellaire; no arrests were
ever made, and Feldman was awarded $75,000 by the City of Santa
Monica last year.

Press Officer Dr. Jerry Vlasak stated: "Apparently the Santa Monica
Police are fond of rummaging through the belongings of innocent
people who advocate for animals. My wife's underwear drawer seemed to
be of special interest to them, although the Press Office premises
themselves have not been touched as yet. They left my home a mess; we
are, however, looking forward to our hefty sum from the department,
just like John and Amy [Feldman] got last year. The animals can
always use the money." Linda Greene adds: "The Press Office must be
doing something right, to incur such wrath from those who support
animal exploitation and abuse."

Despite the loss of several computers, the Press Officers, who claim
they keep back-up data available at several locations, were unfazed
and back at work within hours. Sgt. J. Moroso and Lt. Beautz of the
Santa Monica Police Department did not return repeated calls.

Contact Jerry Vlasak, MD, Press Officer, at (310) 251-0259.

National Lawyers Guild ECO-LAW Hotline for individuals arrested or
subpoenaed for offenses related to environmental or animal activism.
888-NLG-ECOLAW