[Ppnews] Panel Recommends Firing of Ward Churchill - Churchill responds

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 14 14:03:52 EDT 2006

Ward's response follows

Panel recommends firing Colo. professor
By DAN ELLIOTT, Associated Press Writer
Tuesday, 6/13/2006

  <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060614/ap_on_re_us/embattled_professor&printer=1;_ylt=AgVOMP5TdGj_5x85Zg8ItXFH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060614/ap_on_re_us/embattled_professor&printer=1;_ylt=AgVOMP5TdGj_5x85Zg8ItXFH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE

A University of Colorado committee recommended on Tuesday firing a
professor who called some of the World Trade Center victims "little
Eichmanns," citing repeated research misconduct.

The panel's recommendation now goes to university officials for a
final decision.

Ward Churchill, a tenured professor of ethnic studies, denied the
allegations. He has vowed to fight his dismissal with a lawsuit.

"Baloney. That's my one-word-response," he said. He noted there have
been previous calls for his removal, "whether or not it was legal."

The school's investigation focused on allegations that Churchill
committed research misconduct and plagiarism.

In a written statement, Churchill dismissed the investigation as an
attempt to silence him. He said he "could have done it better" in
minor areas on some of the research in question but said he was being
held to higher standards than most academics.

"This process has not demonstrated that I engaged in any serious
research misconduct but that, after more than a year of painstaking
review, those charged with firing me could find nothing more than a
few footnotes and questions of attribution to quibble over," he wrote.

The panel did not address his essay relating the 2001 terrorist
attacks to U.S. abuses abroad. The essay referred to some World Trade
Center victims as "little Eichmanns," a reference to Adolf Eichmann,
who carried out Adolf Hitler's plan to exterminate European Jews
during World War II.

The essay was largely ignored until January 2005, when it came to
light before a scheduled speech at a college in upstate New York.

Churchill's case has been cited by conservatives as an example of how
universities have overstocked their faculties with leftists. Others
raised concerns about academic freedom.

June 14, 2006

Turning Quibbles Over Footnotes into Academic Felonies

My Trial By Media

By WARD CHURCHILL

Bolder, Colorado.

On February 2, 2005, Colorado Governor Bill Owens called for me to be
fired because of statements I made about U.S. foreign policy that
were clearly protected by the First Amendment. It would have been
illegal to do so then, and it is just as illegal today.

More than 16 months ago Governor Owens informed then-CU President
Betsy Hoffman that his office would "work closely with her and the
Board of Regents to terminate" me. A few weeks later President
Hoffman expressed her fears of a "new McCarthyism" to the Boulder
faculty, and a few days later she resigned. Apparently this message
was not lost on the remaining CU administrators.

The fact that CU has spent over a year and a great deal of money
conducting a sham investigation of "research misconduct" does not
convert an otherwise illegal action into a legitimate one. In its
determination to fire me, the University has continuously violated
its own rules, the Regents' laws on academic freedom, and the U.S.
Constitution's guarantees of due process and equal protection. As
today's press release illustrates, CU
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1902593790/counterpunchmaga>
[]
administrators have conducted a "trial by media," not a confidential
personnel investigation. Today's report is but the latest step in
this process.

After encouraging malicious and frivolous allegations to be made,
Interim Chancellor DiStefano, as complainant, submitted the resulting
media stories as if they were his own allegations of research
misconduct. These were then investigated by a committee which, over
my objections, was dominated by CU insiders. That committee's report
has now been rubber stamped by the Standing Committee on Research
Misconduct (SCRM), and SCRM's approval will proceed back up the
internal hierarchy to Interim Chancellor DiStefano for his approval.

Anyone who bothers to read the investigative committee's
unnecessarily long and obfuscatory report will see that the committee
both deviated from and far exceeded its mandate to served as an
unbiased, non-adversarial, fact-finding body. Instead, it functioned
as prosecutor, jury and judge. Despite the availability of outside
experts in my field, no one on the committee had expertise in
American Indian Studies and the committee included no American Indians.

The investigative committee artificially constricted the time and
manner of my responses and then disregarded the evidence I was able
to present. It did not measure my work against the accepted practices
of my discipline; instead it invented and applied a secret set of
standards. Even so, it was unable to provide the required evidence
that I violated relevant norms and, in the end, resorted to
recommending harsh sanctions because I did not have the "right attitude."

This process has not demonstrated that I engaged in any serious
research misconduct but that, after more than a year of painstaking
review, those charged with firing me could find nothing more than a
few footnotes and questions of attribution to quibble over.

University of Colorado administrators have simply confirmed that they
will shamelessly cater to political pressure, discarding the most
basic principles of academic freedom in their attempt to silence me
and discredit my work.