[Ppnews] Lynne Stewart Defense Committee needssupport

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jul 12 16:21:43 EDT 2006

From:       <mailto:caroleseligman at sbcglobal.net>caroleseligman at sbcglobal.net
     Subject:     Lynne Stewart Defense Committee needs funds. Please
read, circulate Lynne's letter. Please donate.
     Date:     July 11, 2006 10:22:16 PM PDT

My Dear Supporters,

  I want to thank all of you for standing by me for the past 4 years
through the trial, conviction and my bout with breast cancer.  Now I
am preparing for sentencing on September 25, 2006.  I have been
fortunate to have gained strength through your support and although
the strength of the "all mighty" government seems overwhelming we
know we are on the right side of history.

Since the day in April 2002 when I was arrested, the Lynne Stewart
Defense Committee was formed.  We have accomplished great things
through the committee and managed to raise awareness of my case and
the issues it has raised.  We have made connections to a broad base
of people united at this time by the Bush/ Cheney attack on the Bill
of Rights and the Constitution.

I am going to provide you below with excerpts from my sentencing
submissions which are directed to the sentencing Judge, of course,
but give you a real sense of the posture of the government towards
me.  That is, that I must be made an example of to deter
attorneys.  For this they are asking for 30 years.  I am to be 67 in October.

I hope that you will continue to do what you can to support the Lynne
Stewart Defense Committee.  The fight is far from over and the
isolation that is prison will only be pierced by the good of people
who continue to fight for justice and bring attention to the excesses
of the U.S. Government.  At this time we would like to send a mailing
which will incorporate my sentencing papers and some of the hundreds
of letters that have been written on my behalf as well as report to
you from the Govt's response to my sentencing memorandum which should
be filed later this summer.

My Defense Committee will continue to work on my behalf through the
long struggle ahead as well as work in solidarity with many other
groups and individuals fighting against this government's policies
and for peace and justice.  Of course this takes funds and although
it is very hard for me to ask, I implore you to contribute as much as
you can.  What follows are excerpts from the sentencing memorandum
filed on my behalf.

          Lynne Stewart

On the evening of July 5, 2006 attorneys for Lynne Stewart filed a
Sentencing Memoranda on her behalf asking for a non-custodial sentence.

  The memoranda contain and refer to many of the scholarly and
impassioned letters written to the Hon. John G. Koeltl on Lynne's
behalf also asking for a non-custodial sentence.

  The following are excerpts from the Affirmation of Elizabeth M.
Fink, Esq. filed in support of Ms. Stewart's Presentencing submissions:

"...........The most chilling and horrendous aspect of Ms. Stewart's
PSR (Pre-Sentence Report by U.S. Probation) is the stated
justification for the 30 year sentence.  'We hope that this sentence
of 30 years will not only punish Stewart for her actions, but serve
as a deterrent for other lawyers who believe that they are above the
rules and regulations of penal institutions or otherwise try to skirt
the laws of this country.'

"......Ms. Stewart violated prison rules and, among other things,
issued a press release in violation of the SAMs.   Nothing
happened.  The recommendation of a 30-year sentence for 66-year-old
women with cancer and a lifetime of service to the community is not
reasonable. It is not justice.  It is tyranny."

"..........As this Court can see, for decades, Ms. Stewart lead an
exemplary life, a life based on community service.  She changed the
lives of thousands and as a lawyer, she was the finest representative
of our profession.  Using her skills and compassion, she restored
faith in America and its justice system to thousands of people.  She
was a symbol of the best of the system.  Working tirelessly, for
little or no money, she brought light and hope to thousands and was
an example to everyone who knew and knows her.  Justice and mercy
require that this Court examine all of the factors that apply to Ms.
Stewart: her decades of selfless dedication to her profession and to
her clients, friends and neighbors, her precarious medical situation,
the lack of any gain to her by her actions, her mis-guided but
compassionate motivations, the lack of harm caused by her actions,
and the effect on present and future member of the criminal Bar of a
draconian sentence.  I pray that your examination will compel you to
find that justice and reason mandate a non-custodial sentence."

  For information and to view a copy of the submissions please
contact Pat Levasseur, The Lynne Stewart Defense Committee at 212-625-9696.

  Contributions to the defense committee can be made to The Lynne
Stewart Defense Committee 350 Broadway, Suite 700, New York, NY
10013.  Tax deductible contributions can be made payable to the
National Lawyers Guild Foundation with Lynne Stewart on the memo
line.  Send to the same address above.  You can also contribute
through pay pal at our website:
<http://www.lynnestewart.org/>www.lynnestewart.org