[Ppnews] Daniel McGowan released

Political Prisoner News PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jan 26 08:53:23 EST 2006

From: Break Chains <breakthechains02 at yahoo.com>
Wednesday 1/25/06

Daniel McGowan just released into the custody of his sister

Minutes ago, Judge Ann Aiken released political prisoner Daniel
McGowan into the custody of his sister, despite the urgent plea from
the prosecutor for continued detention until trial.
Although the DA expressed fears that Daniel McGowan "presents a
serious flight risk," and may be "violent," the judge asserted that
she would follow the law and "protect the interests of all parties."
To that end, she released McGowan on condition of $1.6 million
dollars in bail, put up by Mr. McGowan's sister. She imposed the
condition that McGowan would reside in his sister's custody in New
York, that he would wear an electronic monitor, and that he would
report weekly to pretrial supervisors in Manhattan.

Judge Aiken stated that she had received at least 60 letters from
people in support of Mr. McGowan, and this appeared to have some
impact upon her decision. Incredibly, the DA had attempted to assert
that one of the factors showing that McGowan was unworthy of being
released was the fact that he had supported political prisoner Jeff
"Free" Leurs. Apparently, the judge was not buying that.

Much more on this later, when I have returned home to the roost. For
now, I would just like to say that Daniel McGowan has an incredible
family. The courtroom was filled with supporters, and with family
members who had come all the way from New York city for the hearing.
Family members went out of their way to come over and introduce
themselves to me, and all were in tears when the judge read her
decision. There is much to say, but I have a long drive home now, and
the battery is running thin on this computer. More later.