[Ppnews] Eco Justice Prisoner's death leaves mysteries

Political Prisoner News PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 2 08:46:05 EST 2006

Suspect's death leaves mysteries
FBI says man was an eco-terrorist; friends disagree
By Joe Garner, Rocky Mountain News
December 31, 2005

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. - Bill Rodgers asked his friend Ilse Asplund to
bring him a pillow because his jail bed was hard.

"You can't even take a pencil into the jail, so how could I take him
a pillow," Asplund said, recalling her visit with Rodgers 12 days
before he was found dead in his cell in the Coconino County Jail on Dec. 22.

"When I went to talk to Bill, my concern was his well-being. He was
so thin," Asplund said. "He said his hopes were that he would be
released at his hearing."
But Rodgers wasn't released.

In fact, an FBI agent labeled him a leader of the elusive Earth
Liberation Front and the "mastermind" behind fire bombings across the
country that caused upward of $20 million in damage.

FBI agent Doug Lintner called Rodgers the ringleader of the
eco-terrorists who set seven synchronized fires at Vail in October
1998, destroying the original $12 million Two Elk Lodge, a
mountaintop restaurant.

The spectacular, middle-of- the-night blaze stood for five years as
the most damaging eco- terrorist act in U.S. history.

It also stood as a challenging mystery for federal authorities
investigating the case who were unable to link anyone to the fires
until this month, when Rodgers and an Oregon woman were publicly
named as suspects.

Whatever Rodgers knew about the Earth Liberation Front, which took
credit for the fire in an e-mail communique shortly after the blaze,
died with him.

His death left another mystery in his circle of close friends.

Rodgers, 40, owned a used- book store in Prescott, Ariz., about 100
miles south of Flagstaff. He was one of six people arrested Dec. 7 in
the ongoing federal investigation of the bombings.

All six were accused of acts of terrorism linked to the Animal
Liberation Front and Earth Liberation Front, radical environmental
groups that operate in autonomous cells so members are difficult to track.

Rodgers' friends, who universally described him as a gentle and
compassionate person committed to nonviolence, rallied outside his
hearing and were stunned to be videotaped by law enforcement authorities.

"I'm a pacifist, a vegetarian. I wouldn't want to know anyone who was
even suspected of violence," said Donald Roth, who hiked with Rodgers
to celebrate his 70th birthday in September. "I even have trouble
watching Disney's Bambi because of the fire scenes."

Rodgers' friends also were shocked that his release was denied.
He was returned to jail to await transfer to Washington state, where
he was charged with setting fire to a U.S. Department of Agriculture
building in 1998.

Betrayals and plea deals

On Dec. 19, the Monday after the Friday hearing, David Barrow,
Rodgers' lawyer, visited him for the fourth time since the activist
had been taken into custody.
"By then, we were beginning to read a lot in the papers about what
was happening in the Chelsea Gerlach case, but we hadn't seen any of
the affidavits from Oregon," Barrow said.

Gerlach, 28, was arrested in Portland on eco-sabotage charges in the
same sweep that snared Rodgers.

She also had been named in court as a suspect in the Vail fires, but,
like Rodgers, had not been charged in connection with them.

Rodgers knew little, if anything, of the case against him when he
died. He had not seen or been told of the affidavit outlining what a
confidential informant had told federal investigators about him.

Craig Weinerman, Gerlach's public defender, argued that the
government's accusations against her were based on statements by her
one-time boyfriend, Stanislas Meyerhoff, who allegedly went by the
code name "Country Boy," and by "admitted serial arsonist" Jacob Ferguson.

Weinerman contends the two men, and a third unnamed informant, have
snitched on Gerlach, reportedly code-named "Country Girl," after
making deals with federal prosecutors to go easy on them.

Government attorneys also have tried to link Gerlach and Rodgers as a couple.
"When the federal prosecutor got up and said Chelsea Gerlach and
Rodgers were friends, I got up and said, 'That's not true,' " Weinerman said.

The details of the soap opera of purported betrayals and plea deals
playing out in Oregon were not known in Arizona, but Barrow said he
was stunned by what he called "all the hype of this case."

"It was really odd to have a conspiracy alleged in court, but not to
have anyone charged," he said. "It's a case totally by innuendo."

Barrow showed Rodgers the headline in the Arizona Daily Star calling
him a criminal mastermind.

"He got a chuckle out of that headline, but it was more like 'you've
got to be pulling my leg,' than like he took satisfaction from it,
like a Goebbels or Hitler," the Flagstaff lawyer said.

"I didn't see any changes in him during 10 or 12 hours of interviews
in four visits while he was in jail," Barrow said. "He was focused,
unemotional and his questions were good questions."

Authorities said Rodgers suffocated himself by wrapping his head in
plastic bags that prisoners who are not on suicide watch are given to
carry toiletries and other belongings.

"If he decided to kill himself, I don't know where he was at, whether
it was depression or a rational act," Barrow said. "I suppose suicide
could be rationally justified as an alternative to being held in our prisons."

Sensitive, gentle person

Among his friends, Bill Rodgers was known for his good works in
Prescott as well as for operating the Catalyst InfoShop, a store with
mostly used books that ranged from Crime and Punishment to All the
President's Men to Recipe for Disaster, An Anarchist Cookbook.

If you wanted to learn to sew or knit, you could join a class at the
Catalyst. If you wanted to voice your opposition to the war in Iraq,
you could join in a discussion at the Catalyst. If you wanted to
serve meals to the needy, you could volunteer there for the group,
Food Not Bombs.

"The Catalyst is not a moneymaker," said Paul Katan, one of the
circle of friends drawn to Rodgers and his girlfriend, Katie Rose
Nelson, who lived in an apartment over the bookstore. "They were able
to cover expenses and just scrape by. It was very much a labor of love."

Katan, who testified for Rodgers at his detention hearing, said
Rodgers "has never done or said anything that would make me believe
he was involved in the things he was accused of."

Friends said there were no strangers regularly arriving in Prescott
who stayed at the bookstore. There were no peculiar telephone calls.
There were no unexplained trips out of town, which might be expected
of someone masterminding a nationwide criminal enterprise.

None of the people named in the indictments and arrest warrants mean
anything to any of Rodgers' friends in Prescott.

"Bill is a person who should never have been put into jail," said
Roth, the pacifist who hiked on his birthday with Rodgers. "He's an
outdoorsman. He's a sensitive and gentle person."

At the detention hearing Dec. 16, federal authorities alleged that
Rodgers' criminal activities included possession of child
pornography, three weapons and a box containing candles, timers and
sponges, along with written materials on how to make bombs.

The authorities also said they had a recording of Rodgers telling
someone he was "planning something big" for his next arson attack
after ending his relationship with his girlfriend.

"We differ with the characterization that he is a peaceful,
law-abiding man," Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Lodge said after the
hearing. "He is considered to be the mastermind of some of these arsons."

Child pornography charge

Asplund, the Flagstaff woman who visited Rodgers in jail, said she
learned the so-called child pornography was a nude photograph of a
prepubescent girl standing in a forest with her hand against a tree.
She said the photograph may have been taken off a bookstore computer,
to which many people had access, when the store was raided at the
time of Rodgers' arrest.

"It was very unfortunate that his character was so maligned by
calling the picture of the child pornography," she said.

Other friends said the candles, timers and guns were all legal
possessions, even if they were puzzled that Rodgers may have had them
in his home.

"I think it's widely understood that people who are economically
privileged fare better in the criminal justice system than people
like Bill, who lived a simple, subsistence life," said his friend,
Katan. "It's still a question whether he really killed himself . . .
I don't see it as an admission of his guilt, not at all."

Neither the Prescott Police Department nor the Yavapai County
Sheriff's Department knew that a man suspected of being one of the
nation's most-wanted domestic terrorists was operating a bookstore in
their jurisdiction.

Located about three blocks from the city's courthouse square, where
conservative Arizona Sen. Barry Goldwater announced his run for the
presidency in 1964, the Catalyst InfoShop is a throwback to the
hippie counterculture.

The shop is little more than a shed, originally a miner's cabin,
backing up to Granite Creek.

It is one of six such structures that have been repainted in
brilliant shades of chartreuse, cerise and magenta and billed as the
McCormick Arts District.

The neighborhood holds its place in the life of Prescott, which has
been transformed by affluent retirees, mostly Republican, who come in
their RVs to visit and stay to buy ranchettes with stunning views of
the Arizona sunsets.

"Prescott's pretty much been a cowboy town until about 10 years ago,
when Money magazine named it one of the top 10 places to retire,"
said Yavapai County Sheriff Steve Waugh, who retired to Prescott from
Las Vegas.

Built over rugged canyons at 5,300 feet elevation, Prescott, like
Denver, calls itself The Mile-High City.

The city, population about 50,000, has a tradition of tolerating,
even accepting and appreciating, independent thinking.

A museum near the McCormick Arts District honors Sharlott Hall, a
poet, historian and free-thinker who traveled the rugged backcountry
of Arizona territory on horseback as territorial historian.

The city is home to three colleges, including Prescott College, a
private, liberal arts school where "students are encouraged to think
critically and act ethically with sensitivity to both the human
community and the biosphere," according to the college's mission statement.

Harmony and simplicity

Gene Dilworth, of Nederland, met Bill Rodgers in 1989, when Rodgers,
a Prescott College graduate, led a three-week backpacking trip that
was part of Dilworth's orientation as an entering Prescott College student.

"Mostly we connected through our love of the wilderness," Dilworth
said. "He was a nurturing man. He was deeply sensitive, both to
people and to nature."

More than anyone else he has ever met, Dilworth said, Rodgers tread
lightly upon the earth, living frugally, respecting simplicity and
maintaining harmony in his life.

"I think probably everything Bill wore came from a secondhand store,"
Dilworth said.
Visitors to the Catalyst Info- Shop expected the heat to be turned
low and the electricity switched off when they left a room, but also
a cordial, accepting welcome.

"Bill communicated about everything he did," Dilworth said. "Maybe
there is a note somewhere to explain what he was thinking, but no one
is saying."

Dilworth, his wife and 3-year-old daughter traveled to northern
Arizona this week to pay their respects to an old friend, although
they had not seen each other in about five years.

"I'm happy to talk to you about Bill," Dilworth said. "I was proud to
say Bill is a friend of mine.

"My life is better because I knew him."

<mailto:garnerj at RockyMountainNews.com>garnerj at RockyMountainNews.com
or 303-892-5421