[Ppnews] Jalil Muntaqim - parole campaign - what you can do!

Political Prisoner News PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Feb 23 17:49:18 EST 2006

Hi - I'm Nancy Jacot-Bell - I'm contacting you at the request of Jalil
Muntaqim/Anthony Bottom to ask you to write a letter in support of his
July 2006 parole hearing.  Jalil is a U.S. political prisoner and former
Black Panther -- one of the New York Three -- who has been imprisoned
for over three decades.  This is the third time he will be going to the
board.  As in many states, the parole board in New York has been, in
effect, re-sentencing many prisoners to life without the possibility of parole
by denying their release on parole due solely to the nature of their charge
of conviction, which is something a prisoner can never change.  This
happened in Jalil's two previous hearings, and it just happened for the
second time to my husband, Herman Bell.  We have to stand up en mass
against this criminal distortion of what parole should be based on -- one's
record and conduct while in prison.  We cannot allow those in power to
subvert the very laws they purport to uphold by going back in time and de
facto changing a person's sentence.  Jalil has sent information about how
to address this grievous situation, along with a sample letter to elected
New York officials.  If you wish to receive this
information so that you can also write
these officials, please contact:  NY3 Freedom Campaign, 3543 -
18th St., Box #12, San Francisco, CA 94110.

We thank you for writing your letter of support to the New York State
parole board, and for asking others to do so as well.  It's up to us whether
our political prisoners, who have made the greatest sacrifice, will be able
to join us on the outside for their remaining years.  Thank you so much for
your consideration and your efforts.

Sincerely, Nancy Jacot-Bell

Dear Friends and Supporters:

In July 2006 I will be reappearing for the 3rd
time before the parole board for release
considerations.  When I reappear before them, I
will have completed 34 years of imprisonment, 29
of those years in New York State serving a 25 to
life sentence.  In July 2002 & 2004, I was denied
parole for the nature of the crime and criminal
history, despite the fact the parole board
recognized I had an exemplary prison
record.  However, under the NYS parole
guidelines, there are no provisions for release
because of good behavior and performance of
assignments.  Parole release is based solely on
the discretion of parole commissioners void of
any specific criteria requiring my release.

Due to the political nature of my conviction, NYS
parole authorities are hard to persuade I am a
suitable candidate for parole.  Previously, the
PBA – NYC police officers’ union – has lobbied
against my release by submitting a petition of
10,000 signatures opposing it; therefore, it is
incumbent for my friends and supporters to write
letters highlighting my achievements (see sample
letter, below).  It would be ideal to inundate
the parole authorities with letters urging them to grant my release.

Importantly, all letters written in support of my
release should be sent no later than the second
week of July, if possible, and a copy sent to my
attorney, Ms. Cheryl L. Kates, Esq., Edge of
Justice, 121 N. Fitzhugh Street, Rochester, NY 14614.

Thank you for your support, together we can win! – A. Jalil Bottom

SAMPLE LETTER FOR JALIL:

Chairman Robert Dennison
N.Y.S. Division of Parole
97 Central Avenue
Albany, NY  12248

             Re:       Parole for Anthony “Jalil” Bottom, 77A-4283

Dear Parole Commissioner:

I am writing this letter on behalf of Anthony
“Jalil” Bottom, 77A-4283, urging your office to
grant him release on parole.  For over three
decades, he has made exceptional contributions to
the prison population and the outside
community.  While in prison, he has obtained two
degrees (Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and
Bachelor of Science in Psychology).  He has
become a published author, poet, and
educator.  He has established various programs in
prison, including a Men’s Group for therapeutic
training, African/Black studies programs, a
sociology class, computer literacy class, poetry
class, earned a certificate in architectural
drafting, and has worked as a Teacher’s Aide.

On at least two occasions, A. Jalil Bottom has
received commendations for preventing prison
riots (gangs), as well as for raising funds for
the Children Funds, for being the Office Manager
of the Computer Lab, and for being a Teacher’s
Aide.  Furthermore, in over thirty years of
incarceration, he has maintained an excellent
disciplinary record and has availed himself of
and received all the required certificates for
rehabilitation programming, including some not
required for release considerations.

Anthony Jalil Bottom has been imprisoned since he
was 19.  He is a grandfather and going to be 55
years of age.  He has maintained a close and
loving relationship with his daughter and
grandchildren.  In 2000, along with his daughter
and granddaughter, he was depicted in Essence
Magazine, a national publication, in a featured
article on father-daughter relationships.  He has
a family, home, and job awaiting his release.  In
addition, he also has expressed, upon release, a
desire to obtain a Master’s degree to complete
his education.  Statistics from the U.S. Justice
Department illustrate that prisoners released
after spending in excess of ten years of
incarceration, who are over 35 years of age with
a college degree, are less than three percent to
recidivate.  Given the profile and experience of
A. Jalil Bottom, he is an excellent candidate for release on parole.

Based on the foregoing, it is my sincere hope you
will grant A. Jalil Bottom parole.