[Ppnews] Appeal from Jaan Laaman, Ohio 7 Political Prisoner

Political Prisoner News PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Feb 22 08:50:15 EST 2006

<http://www.4strugglemag.org/archives/cat_issue_6.html#000162#more>http<http://www.4strugglemag.org/archives/cat_issue_6.html#000162#more>://www.4strugglemag.org/archives/cat_issue_6.html#000162#more

A Personal Appeal from Jaan Laaman, Ohio 7 Political Prisoner

Dear 4strugglemag readers, friends, and fellow peace, justice and
revolutionary activists:

I have some hopeful information to share, and I must make a serious
appeal for your support.

I have been locked up for over 21 years now. Soon I will complete my
Massachusetts state sentence. Then I have to begin a 53 years federal
sentence. Because of these two separate sentences I am the last Ohio
7 person, with a release date who is still in captivity. My Ohio 7
comrade Tom Manning is also still in prison, but he has a life
sentence without a real parole date.

Last year I discovered a possibility of reopening and challenging my
entire Mass case and sentence. If I can overturn this, I would he
overdue for release on federal parole. Of course any legal effort is
an uphill battle, especially for political prisoners.

But this is a realistic possibility and in fact the first appeal I am
hopeful about and determined to win. In order to be eligible fur
release on parole, I must win this appeal. To do this I need good and
committed legal representation. Because of the war and present
repressive climate in the country, I have to hire and assemble my own
legal team.

About a month ago I established a legal freedom fund and began
raising funds for my fight for justice and freedom. While I have been
successful in raising funds, especially from family and close people,
I still need close to another 20 thousand dollars in order to fight
this battle.

This is the first time 1 have tried to raise money for my own legal
efforts. I must admit, I feel awkward asking for your help like this,
but it is necessary. The only way I can launch this fight, is with
your serious help now. This is a one Lime legal effort which will be
resolved one way or another in the next year or so. Of course my
intention and hope is to resolve this by overturning my case, proving
my innocence and finally joining my 24 year old son and family and
all of you outside once again.

I need your help to do this now.

Checks should be made out to "Jaan Laaman Legal Freedom Fund" and sent to:

Jaan Laaman Legal Freedom Fund
P.O. Box 681
East Boston, MA 02128 USA

I am encouraging groups and organizations to hold fundraisers and
parties, or other events to support my fight for freedom. You can
contact the Freedom Fund P.O. Box to inform us about or discuss such efforts.

Thank you for your support and help.

FREEDOM IS A CONSTANT STRUGGLE!

Jaan Laaman
Walpole State Prison, February 2006