[Ppnews] In Memoriam - John Bowman

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Dec 29 16:42:14 EST 2006

John H. Bowman III,  born December 6, 1947,
passed on to the ancestors December 23, 2006
after a courageous battle against liver cancer.
This well-loved and respected brother was a
former member of the Black Panther Party for Self
Defense, a devoted family man and a dedicated
community organizer.  He was a proud man who
committed his life to his people and the struggle
for their liberation. A dear friend and comrade
to many of us, John will be deeply missed.

Join us for a celebration of his transition
1/11/07 2:30 PM at True Vine Church, 36th and Spencer Rd. Spencer, Oklahoma.

We will also pay tribute to him on January 28th
in San Francisco. Details will follow.

For more information call :  405 848-2594 or 405 816-6870
Cdhr_right at hotmail.com

or 415 863-9977
info at freedomarchives.org

Interview with John Bowman
Published in the SF Bayview
October 2005

It was clear to me that the federal government
tried to destroy and did destroy the Black
Panther Party, and tried to destroy me as a
member of the Black Panther Party. They used
deceit, they used false information, they also
participated in overt assaults on people’s lives.
I was assaulted, and two other people were
assaulted and shot and imprisoned in Los Angeles.
I was imprisoned for six years for assault with
intent to commit murder on police officers, when
in fact it was the police who initiated the
assault - and eventually charges was dropped. It
was clear to me then that this was an attack to
destroy us, and I survived. And in 2003, it
became clear to me that they wanted to continue
their campaign to destroy me by visiting me,
accusing me and wanting to talk to me about things that happened in 1971.

 From 1968 to 1973, I experienced false arrests,
I experienced assassination attempts, I
experienced being railroaded through the courts,
I experienced police brutality, experienced
torture - because of my association with this
organization called the Black Panther Party for
Self Defense. So, how does it make me feel in
2005?  I feel like it’s something that’s never
gonna end; that my commitment is being challenged
again by the United States government. Because of
the commitment that I made in 1967, I’m still
being persecuted and punished for that commitment
and believing in the ten-point program of the
Black Panther Party and implementing some of the
programs of the Black Panther Party in some of
the social programs that myself and my colleagues
are doing.  So, I’m very concerned. I’m angry.  I
don’t feel like it’s right, and I don’t feel like
it’s something that should go unnoticed, and I
don’t feel like the government should be able to
get away with this continuous harassment. The
same people who tried to kill me in 1973 are the
same people who are here today, in 2005, trying
to destroy me. I mean it literally. I mean there
were people from the forces of the San Francisco
Police Department who participated in harassment,
torture, and my interrogation in 1973. And these
same people I have to come in contact with, I
have to go before courts in front of, who are
asking me the same questions that they
interrogated and tortured me for. I have to be
confronted with these people, and none of these
people have ever been brought to trial. None of
these people have ever been charged with
anything. None of these people have ever been
questioned about that. So I think if they have to
put me in court, I think they should be brought
to court and questioned about their behavior as
it related to John Bowman, Harold Taylor, and
Ruben Scott, and dozens of other people in New
Orleans in 1973. So if I have to be brought
before a grand jury and questioned in secret,
where no one is there but the grand jurors, John
Bowman, the US Attorney and the State’s Attorney,
no lawyer for me, why can’t there be some forum
where some questions are put to the police
department from San Francisco about their
behavior in 1973 which is the basis of this grand
jury investigation today. That’s what I’m asking for is some justice.

What makes John Bowman tick?  Well, one of the
things that makes me tick is that I have two
children. I have twenty-eight nephews and nieces
who I care quite a bit about. I’m a man [who
thinks] that each one could teach one, and that
each person has an obligation to give something
to the community in which he dwells. I learned
that concept and principle through my parents. I
learned that by growing up in what is now called
the Western Addition, but [which was] the
Fillmore district of San Francisco where I went
to school and where I was raised. It took awhile
for me to understand who I was. In fact, I had
dropped out of high school. There was a program
in the community called the Neighborhood Youth
Corps program, and I had a job counselor who gave
me books,  Malcolm X’s autobiography, and James
Baldwin’s book, Go Tell It on the Mountain.  So I
read the books and that excited me quite a bit.
And then I heard about Huey P. Newton and the
Black Panther Party.  So I was beginning to be
socially conscious [when I was] 17 years
old.  So, who am I right now?  I’m 57 years old
and still feel like I need to contribute to my
community and contribute to my family. That’s
what I try to do on a daily basis. One of the
things that I was able to do is to appreciate the
programs that would give things to the people,
and one of the things that attracted me to the
Black Panther Party was their ten-point platform
and program which spoke to the issues of housing,
education and employment, spoke to issues of
social justice and justice in the criminal
justice system. And in my community, in the
Fillmore district, there was lots of social
injustice, there were lots of businesses  that
didn’t contribute anything, there was dilapidated
housing and absent landlords and all of that was
just pressing me.  I felt like it was time for me
to do something besides just talk about it. And
that’s when I decided to pay attention to the
ten-point program of the Black Panther Party. So
I joined their organization, and I began to work
with their programs – the breakfast programs,
collecting medical supplies, having a clinic and
programs inside the housing projects, working
with tenants and families, organizing rent
strikes. Those are the kind of things that shaped
and molded me to be a contributor to the community.

The Black Panther Party was educating people to
some of the realities, some of the criminal
realities of the system that was governing
them.  In the local communities and nationally,
the Black Panther Party was, through its
newspaper, educating people to what is wrong
about the structure and the policies of
housing.  What is wrong about the prison systems
and about the criminal justice systems.  And
people began to listen to the Black Panther
Party, and they began to support the Black Panther Party.

The environment was very oppressive. The Tac
squad that was created by Joseph Alioto [former
SF mayor], their task was to disrupt our
function. And we would get pulled over if we were
driving, if we were walking. We would get held up
on the streets, we’d be laid down in the streets.
We would have AR-15s or machine guns pointed at
us, that’s when I first learned, got introduced
to AR-15 automatic weapons through watching the
Tac Squad put them in my face and other members
of the party. Wherever we would go, they would
come and disrupt, they would kick in our doors.
Or they would sit outside our houses waiting for
us to come home. And when we got home, before we
got into our house, they would search us. So it
became very clear to me that not only was this a
social service program that they were attacking,
they were  attacking me as a person because of my
beliefs. This is when I began to feel that my
life was in danger, always. Because everywhere I
went, I had to be confronted with police.
Organized harassment is what we came to realize
was taking place against us. And as a means to
protect ourselves, we had to go out in groups of
threes and fours, even if just to sell newspapers
or to go to community meetings and set up
community meetings. It was clear that things had
changed. And that on a national level, the Black
Panther Party was the focus of an organized
attack against the leadership. In Chicago, and in
New York, in San Diego and in Los Angeles, there
was people dying, people being assassinated in
their cars. Fred Hampton himself, who was a
member and a leader in Chicago, he was
assassinated [as was Mark Clark]. And there was
people assassinated in New York City and people
arrested by the dozens in New York City. So it
was clear to us here in San Francisco that
something like that was gonna happen to us. And
eventually it did happen where our office got
raided on Fillmore Street. And they shot tear gas
in our office. And they didn’t shoot anybody, but
they destroyed thousands of dollars of materials
and food and medical supplies. And then
simultaneously they raided different homes that
people were living in.  So it was clear to us
that this is what it was gonna be about. It was
gonna be about us being violently attacked and
unjustly shot and put in jail. We knew it was the
local police, but we didn’t know [at that time]
it was coordinated by the FBI and the CIA and the
United States government. So what we were going to do about it, we had no idea.

The Black Panther Party built coalitions with
people who were against the Vietnam War, who were
against the murders of citizens in El Salvador,
Honduras, and Guatemala, with people who were
against apartheid in South Africa. People who
were on college campuses who wanted to protest
the war and protest exploitation of people of
color all across the world. The Black Panther
Party even went as far as to communicate with
other governments – the Vietnamese government,
the North Korean government, the ANC government –
the organization that Nelson Mandela was a part
of which is called the African National
Congress.  We all had one thing in common - we
all were being oppressed. And there was a need to
stop war and a need to stop oppressing and
exploiting people. And the Black Panther Party
was a very vocal part of this movement on a
worldwide basis. This is why the Black Panther
Party took the brunt of all the murder of its
membership and the jailing of all its membership,
because we were an organization that was very
vocal.  People embraced the Black Panther Party,
and that’s why the federal government created a
program called the Cointelpro program. And that’s
why they had a senate committee hearing, and
people admitted that J. Edgar Hoover orchestrated
and created mass hysteria and mass murder,
because of our relationships with people all over
the world. Eldridge Cleaver and Don Cox and
Kathleen Cleaver and other members of the
organization who went into exile traveled all
over the globe internationally and were telling
people what this government was doing and giving
them documented evidence, just like Malcolm X did
when he went to Africa - he talked to people all
over the African continent about this government
and its treatment of people. Well, the Black
Panther Party did the same thing. They never talk
about the relationships between people all over
the world and the Black Panther Party.  They only
create criminal images of Black Panthers.  So
it’s important that people take a broader look as
to what it is when they speak today of the
Patriot Act and Homeland Security, and what does
it do to affect us today, us ordinary citizens. I
think I’m a victim of the Patriot Act. We all
became victims of the Cointelpro program.

In fact, it was the Black Panther Party that
enabled me to grow as a man and as a person,
because it taught principles, it taught
integrity. And I’ve been doing this for, I can’t
even count the years – 35, 40 years. And I
continue to give this example to my son, who is
19 years old, and to my daughter who is 26. I am
a community activist. I’m a social program
developer. I don’t consider myself a member of
the Black Panther Party today. But I do consider
myself someone who have learnt from the
principles, the basic principles and ideology of
the Black Panther Party, which was to reform and
revolutionize the social system so black people
and all people could benefit more from it.

Interviewed and edited by Claude Marks