[Ppnews] Police Gun Down Another Rich White man

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Dec 13 12:20:11 EST 2006

POLICE GUN DOWN ANOTHER RICH WHITE MAN

      (PU) Hours before he was to be married, a
wealthy Caucasian man leaving his bachelor party
at a country club in East Hampton was shot and
killed in a hail of police bullets. Two of his
friends were wounded, one critically. Witnesses
at the scene expressed shock and outrage, one of
the club's patrons voicing the pervasive
sentiment: "Why, oh why is it always rich white
people who suffer at the hands of bigoted, trigger-happy cops?"

      Details of the shooting were not
immediately clear, but relatives of the dead man,
James Bellwether, IV, age 23, and community
leaders, including Martha Stewart, demanded an
investigation into what some call an overreaction by officers.

      Witnesses told of chaos, screams and a
barrage of gunfire near the Club du Beau Latte at
about 4:15 a.m. after Mr. Bellwether and his
friends walked out of the club and began an
altercation during which one of the men shouted, "Yo, get my gun."

      The men then got into a golf cart, backed
up onto the newly seeded lawn, and drove into an
unmarked police limousine bearing several
plainclothes police. In response, five terrified
officers fired at least 50 rounds at the men's
cart; the bullets ripped into other cars and
slammed through a nearby gazebo, injuring a game poacher.

      Irate bystanders later explained to
officers that the gentlemen in question had been
arguing about stock options, and decided to
settle their differences amicably by a round of
impromptu sporting events. One of the men then
asked his butler, Yosworth, to fetch his skeet-shooting rifle.

      Mr. Bellwether - who was to have been wed
at 5 p.m. yesterday - was shot in the neck,
shoulder, and right arm and was taken to Our Lady
of Aetna Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The two wounded men, Clive Gilfordshire, 31, and
Troy Bennington, 23, were taken to Cashflow
Medical Center. Mr. Gilfordshire was listed in
critical condition and Mr. Bennington, with a
shattered leg, in stable condition. Both had been
arrested and handcuffed to their beds. No guns were found at the scene.

      With emotions swirling around this case,
and a long history of no criminal indictments for
police who kill rich white people, legal experts
say it will be difficult to determine if the
shootings were justified. "Let's be honest," said
district attorney Roger Gray, "As an affluent
white male, Mr. Bellwether was part of a minority
community. Those people don't trust us. They
don't understand that cops confront danger every
day and have to react in seconds. And if cops
happen to shoot the same minority people from the
same minority community again and again, that's a
simple mistake - not a systemic pattern of
brutality and injustice." Mr. Gray went on to say
that reporters and investigators would be barred
from questioning the officers, "to give them time
to get their story straight."

      The investigation into this case will
likely prove controversial. At a time of growing
social division, any appearance of police
carelessness or bias could set off civic unrest.
"And when white people get mad, it's really
scary," said police commissioner Patrick O'Reyes.
"That's why the department has maximized
equal-opportunity. With our new, fully-armed
multi-ethnic teams, we've got it fixed so nobody
can say we're racist - even if we only shoot
white people." The commissioner then ordered his
multi-ethnic officers to roughly interrogate
witnesses and family members of the victims, and
ransack their homes for anything incriminating. "It's routine," he added.

      Although civil rights leaders concede that
social awareness has improved in recent years,
some say more progress is needed. "The negative
stereotype of the 'well-healed honky' is rampant
in this case," proclaimed activist Martha Stewart
at a press conference today. "But I think we can
get it out with a touch of white vinegar."

      On-the-street interviews, however, indicate
that this prejudice might be harder to eradicate.

      Byron Johnston, on line at an employment
agency, said: "A rich white dude bought my
apartment building and now I have to live with my
sister and her kids in Section 8 housing. I know
all rich white folks aren't like that, but I can't help hating them."

      "It is a proven fact that those people have
an extra chromosome that makes them condescending
and greedy," stated Shirley Butterfield, who runs
a non-rich non-white supremacist website.

      "Face it, prosperous white people own the
corporations; they break unions; they're behind
environmental degradation; they got us into Iraq
- they're nothing but little Eichmanns," declared
a professor of Equality and Justice Studies at
Red Hook Community College. Victim advocates say
this mentality has wormed its way into the police force.

      One of the plainclothes officers who had
been working undercover at the country club on
the night of the shooting spoke on condition of
anonymity. He said he thought there might be
trouble when he saw several of the revelers
wearing their black, navy blue, and beige "gang
colors." Noticing hushed voices and some numbers
being scratched onto cocktail napkins, the
officer suspected that another hostile corporate
takeover was being planned. "I couldn't stand to
see more people suffer because of lost jobs,
lowered salaries, the privatization of our
infrastructure," the officer stated. "That's why
I joined the police force - I wanted to help."

      It was at this point that the officer radioed for backup.

      "People criticize us for entrapping these
thugs," he continued. "But they don't know what
it's like. That's a dangerous neighborhood. Those
people are capable of anything."

                                    ©  Susie Day, 2006  Suzetski at aol.com

Dedicated to Sean Bell, another Black man killed by police, November 25, 2006