[Ppnews] Assemblyman Leno supports jailed journalist Josh Wolf

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 10 19:04:32 EDT 2006

From: Velayas, Shannan [mailto:Shannan.Velayas at asm.ca.gov]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:00 PM

Subject: ASSEMBLYMAN LENO EXPRESSES SUPPORT FOR
JAILED LOCAL JOURNALIST AND CONSTITUENT

For Immediate
Release
Contact: Shannan Velayas

Thursday, August 10,
2006
(916) 319-2013

ASSEMBLYMAN LENO EXPRESSES SUPPORT FOR JAILED LOCAL JOURNALIST AND CONSTITUENT

SAN FRANCISCO­ Assemblyman Mark Leno (D-San
Francisco) made the following statement
supporting basic constitutional rights to a free
press after the jailing of San Francisco blogger and journalist Josh Wolf:

“I am outraged by the recent jailing of blogger
and journalist Josh Wolf by our Federal
government, whose attempt to obtain his footage
of a 2005 protest is a clear transgression of
California’s Shield Law, which was intended to
protect journalists from being held in contempt
of court for refusing to disclose unpublished
information. Despite these protections, and those
clearly guaranteed by our first and fifth
amendments, Mr. Wolf has been detained without
bail in Federal prison in Dublin. This is a
direct assault on the integrity of our free press
by an overly aggressive administration, and I am
deeply concerned that these actions could have a
dramatic and chilling effect on our country’s
journalistic integrity. We must stand against the
circumvention of our constitutional rights, and
support those brave individuals who defend our
right to a press that is free from government obstruction.”

###