[Ppnews] Black August 2006

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 2 12:38:12 EDT 2006

Subject: Black August 2006
From: Kiilu Nyasha <Kiilu1 at mindspring.com>

BLACK AUGUST 2006
by Kiilu Nyasha

"I am an extremist.  I call for extreme measures to solve extreme
problems." George L. Jackson

This Black August commences with the horrific U.S. sponsored, Israeli
bombing of Gaza and Lebanon in the Middle East (See page ?) But this
time the "Paper Tiger" has run into a hornet's next of resistance and
retaliation.  Jackson's words written decades ago are more relevant
than ever as Hezbollah, Lebanon's freedom fighters, and Hamas,
leaders of the Palestinian Government of resistance, take on the
imperialist monsters:

"International capitalism cannot be destroyed without the extremes of
struggle. The entire colonial world is watching the blacks inside the
U.S., wondering and waiting for us to come to our senses. Their
problems and struggles with the Amerikan monster are much more
difficult than they would be if we actively aided them. We are on the
inside. We are the only ones (besides the very small white minority
left) who can get at the monster's heart without subjecting the world
to nuclear fire. We have a momentous historical role to act out if we
will. The whole world for all time in the future will love us and
remember us as the righteous people who made it possible for the
world to live on."

2006 marks the 27th anniversary of Black August, first organized to
honor our fallen freedom fighters, Jonathan and George Jackson,
Khatari Gaulden, James McClain, William Christmas, and the sole
survivor of the August 7, 1970 Courthouse Slave Rebellion, Ruchell
Cinque Magee. It is a time to embrace the principles of unity and resistance.

Black August has its origins in the "Black Movement" behind
California prison walls in the Sixties, led by Jackson, W. L. Nolen,
James Carr, Hugo Pinell, Kumasi, Howard Tole, Warren Wells, and many
other conscious, standup brothers who ultimately made it safe for a
brotha to walk the yards of California's racist gulags.

August 7, 1970 witnessed the spectacular courthouse slave rebellion
that hit the front pages of newspapers throughout the
world.  Pictures of four, young Black freedom fighters emerging from
Marin County court with guns and hostages, disarming guards, provoked
panic among the bourgeoisie and the white supremacists.  But others,
especially Black and Brown folks, took great pride and inspiration
from the sight of such courageous resistance to the ongoing brutality
and murder of Blacks inside and outside of prison.

"Freeze!" shouted 17-year-old Jonathan Jackson, "We're taking over"
-- as he tossed guns to McClain, Christmas, and Magee.  With courage
and calm they ushered their hostages to a waiting van, planning to go
to a radio station and broadcast the atrocities being committed
behind the walls against Blacks and demand release of the Soledad
Brothers (Jackson, Fleeta Drumgo and John Clutchette).  What Jonathan
failed to anticipate was the State's willingness to sacrifice one of
its judges and the lives of everyone else to stop that escape.  As
Jonathan tried to leave the parking lot, the San Quentin guards
arrived and opened fire, leaving Jonathan, Christmas, McClain, and
Judge Harold Haley dead, State prosecutor Gary Thomas and Ruchell
Magee seriously wounded.

Just one year later, on August 21, 1971, in what has been well
established as a setup, Soledad Brother George Jackson was murdered
on the yard of San Quentin by prison guards.  During this
orchestrated attempted escape, however, three guards were also
killed, along with two inmate "trustees." This set the prison
officials on fire and they've been exacting revenge upon the sole
survivor of the Marin rebellion, Ruchell Magee, now enduring his 43rd
year in Corcoran's maximum security prison -- and Hugo Pinell (Yogi),
one of the "San Quentin Six," charged in the aftermath.  Now in his
42nd year of incarceration, most in solitary confinement, 24 years
clean time, Yogi is still being tortured in Pelican Bay's windowless
SHU (Security Housing Unit) or lockdown at least 23 hours a day, no
contact visits, no phone calls, no company.  For more on Yogi's
upcoming board hearing, etc., go to
<http://www.hugopinell.org>www.hugopinell.org.

As we face the reality of an expanding global war, let us heed these
words of wisdom, written by Comrade George in "Blood in My Eye" (1972):

"...[I]t is the 'role of the living,' of all the innocent, to
discover unitary practice and conduct and move against the
institutions that close on the oppressed."

"Those who have more regard for their own egos or self-interest than
they have for building a united progressive left, and those who
abandon community altogether in favor of petty interests, are in
direct opposition to our real interests.  They are attempting a new
form of escapism. They're fleeing the objective conditions of their
real life and will eventually reach the ultimate contradiction of
facing their father or brother, or old classmate, comrade, or wife,
over the barrel of a gun.  Or they will find themselves in no man's
land, cast out by the people..."

 From Franz Fanon, "The time for talking has ended, the time for
acting has begun."

Long live the guerrilla!