[Ppnews] Auburn - Conspiracy of dunces

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 2 12:00:45 EDT 2006

<http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/Content?oid=oid%3A80311>http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/Content?oid=oid%3A80311
Conspiracy of dunces

Three would-be eco-terrorists were arrested in
Auburn last January for plotting acts of sabotage
for the Earth Liberation Front. But would there
have been a conspiracy without the prodding of FBI infiltrator Anna?

By
<http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/Archive?author=oid%3A2626>Cosmo Garvin

[]

The arrest of three alleged eco-terrorists on
January 13 was thanks to the work of a mysterious
FBI informant who went by the name of Anna.
Illustration By Gia-Bao Tran
On the morning of January 13, the FBI was keeping
a close eye on a cabin in Dutch Flat, about a
half-hour north of Auburn. The government had the
cabin and its four occupants--two men and two
women--under 24-hour surveillance for nearly a
week because the group was suspected of plotting
acts of domestic terrorism in the name of the Earth Liberation Front.
The four left the cabin at around 10 a.m. in a
1997 maroon Chevy Lumina and traveled about 30
miles to a Kmart in Auburn. There were agents
inside the store, watching them shop.

Agents outside watched the parking lot, too, as
one of the men, 28-year-old Eric McDavid--tall
and athletic, who wore his red hair short under a
baseball cap--returned to the car with his
companion, Anna, a pretty, dark-haired woman in
her mid-20s. Inside, 20-year-old Lauren Weiner
and 20-year-old Zachary Jenson continued to shop,
stopping a clerk to inquire about Pyrex cookware.
All the while, agents watched and waited.

Once all four reassembled in the parking lot,
carrying bags full of household cleaning supplies
and a Pyrex bowl--bomb-making materials,
according to the government--members of the FBI,
the SWAT team and the Joint Terrorism Task Force moved in.
It wasn’t a violent takedown.

Three from the group were quietly handcuffed and
loaded into patrol cars. Their shopping bags were
inspected, quickly inventoried and loaded into
the trunk of another. All but Anna were taken to
the Sacramento County Jail and then charged with
conspiracy to commit arson. The government
alleged that the conspiracy was part of a planned
terrorist bombing campaign targeting power
stations in San Francisco, a forest-genetics
research lab in Placerville and even the Nimbus Dam.
The three never saw Anna again. She had
befriended them, brought them together, paid the
rent on the Dutch Flat cabin and encouraged them
every step of the way. She had been an FBI informant all along.

According to a report from FBI agents, Jenson
muttered, “Friday the 13th, what a day,” from the
back of the squad car as they drove away to jail.

The green scare

The arrest of the three would-be eco-terrorists
was part of a larger crackdown on what the
government considers one of the most fearsome
domestic terrorist organizations in the United
States: the Earth Liberation Front.

That same month, with great fanfare, the FBI and
the U.S. Department of Justice announced the
arrests of 17 alleged members of ELF, charged
with 65 counts of arson and conspiracy. That
investigation was called Operation Backfire.

But critics, like the National Lawyers Guild,
call Operation Backfire and other investigations
and arrests of eco-radicals the “green scare” and
a misuse of resources to fight terrorism.

“The indictment tells a story of four-and-a-half
years of arson, vandalism, violence and
destruction claimed to have been executed on
behalf of the Animal Liberation Front and the
Earth Liberation Front--extremist movements known
to support acts of domestic terrorism,” said
Attorney General Alberto Gonzales at the press
conference announcing the results of Operation
Backfire, on January 20, just a week after the
arrests of Weiner, McDavid and Jenson.

“Investigating and preventing animal-rights and
environmental extremism is one of the FBI’s
highest domestic-terrorism priorities,” said FBI
Director Robert Mueller at the same press conference.

That quote was widely reprinted in newspapers all
over the country. Here’s another, which didn’t
make it into most media accounts: “The FBI
becomes involved, as it did in this case, only
when volatile talk crosses the line into violence
and criminal activity,” Mueller also said.

Keep that in mind as you read further. The
government says that its confidential source,
Anna, foiled the plot cooked up by McDavid,
Jenson and Weiner. But court documents suggest
that it took a lot of care and feeding,
encouragement and money from the FBI informant,
Anna, to get this particular conspiracy to hatch.

In May, Weiner agreed to plead guilty. She faces
a maximum of five years in prison and is free on
bail, living with her family in New York.

Last week, after more than six months in the
Sacramento County Jail, Jenson also agreed to a
plea bargain, and to testify against McDavid.
He’s been released on bail and is scheduled to be sentenced in early October.

That leaves McDavid left to stand trial. He’s the
oldest, and the one prosecutors say was the real
leader behind the plot. He was also the one who
was closest to Anna, the FBI informant who stuck
with McDavid for a year-and-a-half, asking him
questions, making suggestions and acting as if
she were his lieutenant while reporting on his
every move to the FBI. According to testimony
from Sacramento-based FBI Special Agent Nasson
Walker, she got paid at least $75,000 for her work.

The defendants’ lawyers say that there could have
been no conspiracy at all without Anna. Documents
from the investigation reviewed by SN&R suggest
that Anna provided much of the financial support,
the encouragement and the know-how needed to turn
their talk into action. They also show that
whenever the group started to lose focus, or to
have second thoughts, Anna badgered them about
being all talk and not sticking to an action plan.

“She was the glue,” said defense attorney Mark
Reichel, who represents McDavid. “Take away Anna,
and they would have scattered in the wind like so many tumbleweeds.”

Anna the anarchist

ELF, and its sister group, ALF, the Animal
Liberation Front, has been a tough organization
for the FBI to crack--mostly because, as U.S.
Attorney Steven Lapham notes, “it’s not an organization.”

It’s not an organization in the sense that a
criminal gang, or the Mafia, or a group like Al
Qaeda is an organization. Federal law enforcement
works against these groups in large part by
arresting the foot soldiers and prying
information out of them about the higher-ups.
With perseverance, and enough underlings flipping
on their bosses, you’ve got a shot at decapitating the organization.

Not so with ELF. These folks are, after all,
anarchists who believe in an anti-authoritarian
way of organizing society. Nobody pays membership
dues; there are no bosses or foot soldiers. They
carry out their actions, from simple tagging and
vandalism to firebombings causing millions of
dollars’ worth of damage, under the banner of
ELF. They have been credited with $110 million in
property damage to date, from car dealerships to
ski resorts since 1997. Though the government
considers ELF one of the most important domestic
terror groups in the nation, if not the most
important, so far, nobody has died as a result of an ELF action.

Lapham prosecuted the ELF firebombing of a UC
Davis veterinary clinic in 1987. He also
prosecuted the Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski, in 1998
and members of the San Joaquin County Militia for
conspiring to blow up two large propane tanks in
Elk Grove--in order to start the second American
Revolution--in 2002. And he’s the lead prosecutor
against McDavid, Weiner and Jenson.

[]

Anna pushed the others constantly to stick to the
plan. She told them she liked the idea of taking out the Nimbus Dam.
Illustration By Gia-Bao Tran
He claims ELF is a serious threat. “These people
are committed to a cause, a cause that has as its
tenets property destruction and violence.”
Cracking ELF requires a special approach. And
that’s where someone like Anna comes in.

In an affidavit filed in the case, FBI Special
Agent Walker said that the “confidential source”
(the government never refers to Anna by name;
it’s always the “source”) had been used in at
least 12 prior investigations of anarchists and
anarchist groups. “Her information has proved
accurate and reliable,” Walker said, and she was
“granted authority to participate in Tier 1
Otherwise Illegal Activity” as part of the
investigation. Tier 1 means investigations of the
most dangerous criminals: terrorists. OIA means
just that. Anna was allowed to break the law in order to get her collar.

McDavid first encountered Anna in Iowa in 2004,
at an anarchist convention called CrimethInc. He
was already friends with Jenson, who also went to Iowa that time.
“She showed up with this pink hair and camo
miniskirt. I guess she was pretty cute,” said Reichel.

According to Reichel, Anna and McDavid never
slept together, but there was romantic tension
between the two over the next year-and-a-half.
“They argued like a couple. Everyone around them
assumed they were sleeping together. She definitely had my boy after her.”

The two would see each other again about a year
after the Iowa convention. In the meantime, it
seems, Anna had work to do in southern Florida.

According to accounts of organizers of a protest
against the Organization of American States in
June 2005, Anna showed up in the Miami area,
posing as an activist and volunteer medic.

Miami organizer Ray Del Papa said he believes the
FBI was monitoring organizers of the
demonstrations, even though they were legal,
permitted and not intended to include any civil
disobedience or “direct action.”

“I was on the phone one day, complaining to
someone that we only had one volunteer medic,” Del Papa explained.

“I think the phones were tapped, because the next
day, this woman Anna shows up, with short blond
hair, in these leather pants, with a medic bag.”

But Del Papa said Anna didn’t seem very
interested in offering medical care and comfort
to protesters. She was more curious about the protest organizers.

“She started asking all of these really specific
questions about who was coming and how many
people were coming. She got really aggressive
about wanting detailed information about our plans.”

During the march, Del Papa said, Anna started
recruiting high-school students to stage a sit-in
to block traffic, right in front of a large group
of Broward County sheriff’s officers in riot
gear. Del Papa was sure the provocation would
lead to arrests and to the police clearing
protesters from the area around the Fort
Lauderdale Convention Center where the protest
was being held. “It was a trap,” Del Papa told
SN&R. That’s when Del Papa was sure that Anna was
a government agent. Not that it’s uncommon for
political demonstrations and meetings to have an
undercover agent or two in their midst.

“What bothers me is that they’ve gone from being
information gatherers to being provocateurs. To
provoking people into these actions.”

Mark Reichel went to Miami to check it out. He
brought a photo of the Miami Anna, taken by
organizers there, back to his client in the
Sacramento jail. It was the same Anna, McDavid told him.

Reeling them in

In late June, Anna left Miami and headed for
Philadelphia and the BIO 2005 conference, where
many activist groups, including some anarchists,
were gathering to protest the biotech industry.

Anna’s real contact with McDavid, Weiner and
Jenson started with meetings in a Philadelphia
coffee shop. It was there that McDavid told Anna
of his interest in “direct action.” It was there
also that McDavid first mentioned the
“Placerville tree factory.” He was vague on the
details, but he knew that “they genetically
modify trees there.” The “tree factory” turned
out to be the Institute of Forest Genetics--one
of the alleged targets in the conspiracy.

According to the government’s complaint, the four
agreed to meet again in the fall in Northern
California. After Philadelphia, McDavid went back
to the Auburn area. Weiner stayed in
Philadelphia, and Jenson roamed around a bit,
sleeping on couches in D.C., Oregon and San Francisco.

Getting the three anarchists together must have
been something like herding cats for Anna. E-mail
records and other notes from the investigation
show that Anna was the one trying to keep the others on a time schedule.

Anna bought Weiner’s plane tickets to California,
said Reichel. Later, in audio transcripts of a
conversation between the two women, Anna asked
Weiner, “You’re going to pay me back for those plane tickets, right?”

“They needed money to survive. They had no money
at all. They were 'freegans,’” said Reichel.

In November, the four met at McDavid’s parents’
house in Foresthill, where, according to the
government, they discussed carrying out some sort
of “direct action” in the name of ELF. They ate
stir-fried shrimp and vegan pancakes. They hiked
and read. They also discussed a recipe that
involved crystals created by mixing and heating
ammonia and bleach. Those crystals, McDavid
believed, then could be mixed with “plumber’s
putty” to create an explosive akin to C4.
According to the FBI, McDavid acknowledged that
they were involved in a criminal conspiracy.

After the fall meeting, Anna wrote numerous
e-mails trying to coordinate the group’s plans.

She urged Jenson to help convince Weiner to come
back to California, saying, “You should help me
work on ff.” (FF stands for Firefly, a nickname
of Weiner’s.) In another e-mail, she wrote,
“[Weiner] wants to push off Cali till later. I told her that’s bullshit. Argh.”

[]

The alleged conspirators never did manage to
create any explosive material--despite Anna’s help.
Illustration By Gia-Bao Tran
During this time, according to FBI notes included
in evidence, in December, Weiner purchased a copy
of the book The Poor Man’s James Bond--containing
recipes and instructions for various makeshift
explosives and do-it-yourself weapons--from an
anarchist bookstore in Philadelphia. Reichel said
that earlier, Anna had told the group that she
had worked as a high-school chemistry teacher.
On December 10, 2005, Anna gave McDavid the
recipe for potassium chlorate in an e-mail that
she had encoded with a simple letter-shift code
(A equals G, B equals H, etc). The e-mail starts,
“I think this is what you meant at your house. If
you want the rest, tell me ...”

“It was really unsophisticated,” Reichel said. “I
think she was trying to think of something that
could possibly yield something and was simple
enough to do in the backyard for three idiots.”

At first, McDavid didn’t get it. He thickly
replied, “Did you see what you sent me? You need
to lay off the caffeeen cheeka.”

Anna replied, “Why don’t you think a little broader about what I sent you?”
“Don’t take it so hard/or me so seriously cheeka,” he wrote back.

Later, Anna wrote to Jenson complaining about
McDavid. “Tell the Pirate [McDavid’s nickname]
I’m sorry I snapped. I worked really hard on that
e-mail, it seemed like he just laughed it off.”
She asked Jenson to write to McDavid and give him
the key to decoding the message. “Tell him to subtract six,” she explained.

She and McDavid smoothed things over, because two
days later she wrote, “I’m just glad were talking
again. Talk to me more. I miss you and am counting down the days.”

Cabin fever

Before the others arrived back in Northern
California, Anna had rented the cabin in Dutch
Flat, which she described in one e-mail as “a
place that’s totally under the table, secure,
hidden, but not too hidden that we look like Ted Kazynciski [sic].”
The group would stay in the cabin for less than a
week--from January 8 to January 13--unaware that
there was a hidden video camera already set up
beside the television and an FBI surveillance
team set up outside videotaping and recording what was happening inside.

FBI agent Walker confirmed during the bail
hearing of Weiner that Anna rented the cabin and
may have helped buy some of the materials for
making the potassium chlorate that the four agreed to test while at Dutch Flat.

Much of the surveillance of the cabin captured
the mundane details of the lives of four young
people on vacation. There are reports of the four
traveling to a pizza restaurant, buying pizza,
returning to the cabin and eating pizza. They
discussed music. Weiner enjoys Jimi Hendrix and
Jello Biafra. Anna likes Beyoncé and Destiny’s
Child. The other three never seemed to realize
that Anna was an informant, even when she used a
heavy hand to guide their conversations.

“All right, what do we wanna do next? Do we want
to go back to Auburn and recon banks and gas
stations?” she asked at one point on the tape.
“You guys change your mind a lot,” she offered
later. Then, later still, “It seems like you guys don’t want to do it at all.”

On January 10, the four toured the Institute of
Forest Genetics in Placerville, using fake names
and posing as college students for a tour. They
were under surveillance the whole time by FBI
agents and agents of the U.S. Forest Service.

The government says in its complaint that McDavid
said that he felt human casualties would be
acceptable in an action against the IFG. But
McDavid denies that he ever said that. “We’ve
asked them to show us where on the tapes he said
that. They can’t find it because he never said that,” Reichel insisted.

On January 11, there’s a report that Anna “goes
outside” to meet an agent. Not into town, not
down the road--she just “goes outside.”

“I know. I know. How did they not realize?”
Reichel said, laughing. “These are not the most
sophisticated people. This is not the Symbionese Liberation Army.”

On January 11, Anna drove the other three in her
Chevy Lumina to Wal-Mart in Natomas, where the
group bought the items needed to make the explosives from Anna’s recipe.

McDavid and Weiner tried to cook bleach and other
chemicals down to create crystals of potassium
chlorate, in full view of the FBI surveillance
team outside. But the glass container they were
using became too hot and broke, spilling its
contents on the ground. The two would-be
guerrillas had nothing to show for their troubles
but rattled nerves and a puddle of warm bleach.

On January 12, cabin fever set in. The audio
transcripts contain a long and convoluted
discussion that evening involving all four
members of the group. The transcripts reveal a lot of disagreement and doubt.

At this point, the IFG facility was out, at least
for the time being, partly because, even after
its tour, the group still wasn’t quite sure what
the scientists there did. McDavid suggested the IFG could be a fallback plan.

The Nimbus Dam was out; Weiner didn’t like the
idea of creating another New Orleans. “Why would
we want to create that?” she asked.

“It’ll kill people and take out people’s homes,” Jenson agreed.

The four moved on to a discussion of blowing up
buildings, banks and ATMs. Jenson liked the idea
of targeting power stations to cause power
outages. Anna asked him, “So you’ll study power grids?”

McDavid threw in, “I think smaller stuff, right
now.” Jenson added, “It doesn’t need to be done, like, now, right?”

[]

Eric McDavid’s attorney, Mark Reichel, says the
government is "manufacturing crime."
Illustration By Gia-Bao Tran
Anna pressed them. “I thought we were going to do
the tree factory because it was easy,” she
complained. Weiner replied, “But it’s not,” and
the two guys agreed. McDavid apologized for his
waffling. “I don’t want to hurt anybody’s feelings,” he said.

During the conversation, McDavid asked Anna what
was wrong. “Big shuffle a little too big for
you?” Anna replied, “I’m just sad we lost the
Forest Service one.” It’s not lost, Weiner
answered. “It’s not going anywhere,” McDavid added.

But Anna was getting frustrated. “I guess I’m
just different than you guys. I don’t like
amorphous crap. ... I wish one day we could keep
the damned plan. I wish one day you guys could
stick to a list. Why can’t one of you guys say, 'Hey, this is what we want’?”

Here, Reichel said, Anna sensed that the
conspiracy was falling apart, and she began
trying hard to get them to make statements about
specific targets. “Yeah, I would like a damned
goal,” she pleaded with the others.

The four agreed that they needed to purchase more
supplies to keep experimenting with the
explosive. “But at that point, it’s over,” said
Reichel. “The whole thing had peaked,” and the
conspirators were going to break up and leave
Dutch Flat. But then Friday the 13th happened.

Terrorists or knuckleheads?

U.S. Attorney Lapham refused to answer specific
questions about the evidence against the three
would-be ELF members. He wouldn’t comment on
things Anna did or didn’t do, or respond to
questions about the transcripts from FBI
surveillance of the cabin or the e-mail
correspondence between the group members. “I just
can’t be perceived as trying my case in the
press,” Lapham explained. He did speak generally
about what is in the government’s complaint
against the three and about conspiracy and entrapment generally.

For example, he disagreed that debate about
possible targets, such as the conversation on
January 12, indicated a lack of agreement about carrying out a criminal act.

“Let’s say Al Qaeda has a meeting, and one guy
wants to target the World Trade Center, and
another guy wants to target Congress, and another
wants to target the White House,” Lapham
explained. “Just because there’s a debate, does
that mean there’s no conspiracy to target buildings in the United States?”

“Bullshit,” responded Reichel. “If you had to
choose, with limited resources, which of these
places to protect from these people, you’d say, 'None of them.’”

Like his rival, Reichel has some history with cases against anarchists.

He’s defended anarchists before, like Wobbly
organizer Harjit Gill, who was convicted of lying
to a grand jury about a McDonald’s that was
torched in Chico in 2003 in the name of ALF.
(Gill was never accused of being involved in the fire.)

Reichel describes himself as a mainstream
Democrat. “I eat at McDonald’s. I live in a tract
home. I drive an Excursion.” He likes his client,
but he has a habit of calling McDavid a knucklehead and an idiot.

And he’s getting ready to file a motion to
dismiss the case because of “outrageous government misconduct.”

His client engaged in stupid, evil talk, said
Reichel. But that was all. There could have been
no conspiracy, he insisted, without Anna, the FBI
agent who seemed to have all the answers.

“She provides the money. She provides the car.
She rents the cabin. Oh, and by the way, 'I used
to be a high-school chemistry teacher, so this is
second nature to me.’” All that adds up to
entrapment and worse, he said. “This is a case
where the government is manufacturing crime,” Reichel added.

Professor George Harris, who teaches at McGeorge
School of Law, isn’t so sure. He explained that
federal law gives law enforcement and prosecutors a lot of latitude.

“Just because the FBI provides an opportunity to
commit the crime doesn’t make it entrapment,”
Harris said. He added, “Federal conspiracy law
has developed in a way that is quite broad. It’s
generally fairly easy to prove. That’s why prosecutors like it a lot.”

Consider the recent arrest for conspiracy of a
group of Haitians in Miami, who had no expertise,
no bomb-making materials and only an inkling of
what they wanted to target. The government
declared another victory against domestic
terrorism in that case, but it raised questions
of “pre-emptive” arrests in the national media.

Closer to home, the trial of father and son Umer
and Hamid Hayat revealed that an FBI informant
encouraged Hamid to attend terrorist training
camps in Pakistan, exactly what Hayat was tried for.

The jury will have to decide whether those
activities constituted entrapment or good clean
anti-terrorist work. “If the defense of
entrapment is raised, the government does have
the burden of proving that the defendant wasn’t
induced into the crime. We think we can do that,” Lapham said.

“You don’t have to wait until the match is lit to
take action,” he added. McDavid is facing
somewhere between 17 and 20 years in federal
prison for the conspiracy. He’s eligible for the
maximum penalty because it was considered a terrorist conspiracy.

Reichel said that, unlike Weiner and Jenson,
McDavid wants to go to trial--though life in
custody is taking its toll. “He lives a life of
total hell. He spends 24 hours a day in his tiny
cell.” McDavid is in what jailers call “T-sep,”
or total separation. It’s supposed to be for
McDavid’s own protection. Having been labeled a
terrorist, he’s more likely to be attacked by
other inmates, Reichel explained.

But McDavid is no terrorist, Reichel said. He’s
just a big talker who got manipulated by an
informant eager to produce a real live terrorist for her bosses.

“There’s a certain angst that comes with being a
certain age. You say things you probably wouldn’t act on.”

“But when you have someone poking you and
prodding, egging you on, that’s different,” Reichel added.

As for Anna, nobody but her FBI handlers knows
where she is today. There are rumors that she’s
back in Iowa, though she could be anywhere that
young anarchists and radical environmentalists
are congregated. In fact, the next time you
attend a large demonstration, against the World
Trade Organization or maybe the Democratic
National Convention, you might meet her.