[Ppnews] International Day for Political Prisoners

Political Prisoner News PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Nov 28 15:18:28 EST 2005

intdaysolpp at yahoo.com

DECEMBER 3, 2005
INTERNATIONAL DAY IN SOLIDARITY WITH POLITICAL PRISONERS
EVENTS HELD IN 25 CITIES WORLDWIDE!!

KATHLEEN CLEAVER - FORMER BLACK PANTHER LEADER
ALICIA RODRIGUEZ, FORMER PUERTO RICAN POLITICAL PRISONER
  SPEAKING OUT ABOUT U.S. AUTHORIZED HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSE!

Where: First Unitarian Church – 14th and Castro, Oakland, CA
When:  December 3, 2005:  7PM

Oakland, CA 7 November 2005 - Former Black
Panther leader and Yale Law School Professor
KATHLEEN CLEAVER will headline the first annual
International Day in Solidarity with Political
Prisoners. “It's essential to work for the
freedom of those still imprisoned because of
their contributions to the human rights struggle
within the U.S., particularly in these days of
intensified government surveillance of and
restrictions against dissent....”  Ms Cleaver explained.

Puerto Rican Independentista ALICIA RODRIGUEZ,
who was pardoned by President Clinton after 19
years in prison, will join Ms. Cleaver. “The U.S.
government just assassinated our freedom fighter
Filiberto Ojeda Rios because they want us to
believe that resistance is futile. Nothing could
be further from the truth. We know from our
experience that we must continue our fight to get
all of our prisoners out –they must know that they are not alone.”

There are over one hundred political prisoners
incarcerated in the U.S. and tens of thousands
imprisoned around the world. Under the pretext of
the Patriot Act and the “War on Terror”, the U.S.
government is imprisoning more people every
day.  The force-feeding of hunger strikers in
Guantanamo, the torture of prisoners at Abu
Ghraib and the use of secret prisons in Europe
are only a few of the grave human rights abuses
taking place around the world under the authority of the U.S. government.

violations, activists from around the world have
decided to initiate a Day in Solidarity with
Political Prisoners Worldwide.  Donato
Continente, a recently released political
prisoner from the Philippines explained:  “It’s
time we took a united and international approach
to the freeing of political activists and freedom
fighters – it’s essential that we share our
experiences and that we mount international campaigns.”

The event in Oakland will also feature
representatives from Haiti, Palestine, the
Philippines and the Cuban 5.  There will be
simultaneous activities in 25 countries including
the Philippines, Turkey, Mexico, Croatia, Canada,
Spain and cities around the United States.

The event will be preceded by a film festival,
Political Convictions:  Liberating Political
Prisoners with showings from Monday, November 28
through Thursday, December 1st at New College,
San Francisco and Laney College, Oakland.

There will be a demonstration on December 2nd, 12
noon at the Oakland Federal Building, (1301 Clay
St.) demanding freedom for all political prisoners.

###