[Ppnews] Peter Young sentenced

Political Prisoner News PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 23 08:29:09 EST 2005

Peter Young was sentenced to two years in prison and over $240,000 in
resitution for charges relating to half a dozen fur farm raids in 1997. He
was captured in March of this year and is imprisoned in a county jail
awaiting transfer to a federal prison.

His current mailing address is
Peter Young
Columbia County Jail
403 Jackson St Portage, WI 53901

for more info see www.supportpeter.com

Peter's Statement to the Court

The following is Peter Young's statement to the court at his sentencing on
November 8th, 2005. As Peter did a large amount of improvisation, the
below text is not a verbatim record, but an approximate account based on
his notes and the memory of supporters in the courtroom.

This is the customary time when the defendant expresses regret for the
crimes they committed, so let me do that because I am not without my
regrets. I am here today to be sentenced for my participation in releasing
mink from 6 fur farms. I regret it was only 6. I'm also here today to be
sentenced for my participation in the freeing of 8,000 mink from those
farms. I regret it was only 8,000. It is my understanding of those 6
farms, only 2 of them have since shut down. I regret it was only 2.

More than anything, I regret my restraint, because whatever damage we did
to those businesses, if those farms were left standing, and if one animal
was left behind, then it wasn't enough.

I don't wish to validate this proceeding by begging for mercy or appealing
to the conscience of the court, because I know if this system had a
conscience I would not be here, and in my place would be all the butchers,
vivisectors, and fur farmers of the world.

Just as I will remain unbowed before this court- who would see me
imprisoned for an act of conscience- I will also deny the fur farmers in
the room the pleasure of seeing me bow down before them. To those people
here whose sheds I may have visited in 1997, let me tell you directly for
the first time, it was a please to raid your farms, and to free those
animals you held captive. It is to those animals I answer to, not you or
this court. I will forever mark those nights on your property as the most
rewarding experience of my life.

And to those farmers or other savages who may read my words in the future
and smile at my fate, just remember: We have put more of you in bankruptcy
than you have put liberators in prison. Don't forget that.

Let me thank everyone in the courtroom who came to support me today. It is
my last wish before prison that each of you drive to a nearby fur farm
tonight, tear down its fence and open every cage.

That's all.