[Ppnews] Administrative detention should be banned

Political Prisoner News PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Nov 15 08:56:45 EST 2005

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article4293.shtml
Human Rights
Administrative detention should be banned (1/2)
Jeff Handmaker and Adri Nieuwhof, The Electronic Intifada, 11 November 2005

----------

Israel has a long history of detaining people
without trial, quite often for long periods,
based on an administrative instead of judicial
order based on secret evidence. Such orders may
be issued at the initiative of a military
commander, in accordance with Military Order Number 1229 of 1988.1

Based initially on the British Mandate Defence
(Emergency) Regulations of 1945, the Israeli
government uses administrative detention as a
tool to silence and oppress Palestinians. Due to
international criticism in the 1970s, the measure
was temporarily suspended. However, in 1985
Israeli Defence Minister Rabin started to use the
measure again in the framework of his "iron fist" policy.

Some Palestinians have spent over five years in detention without trial.

Administrative detainees are held both in
military detention facilities as well as in
facilities run by the prison service. In August
2005, 596 Palestinians from the Occupied
Territories were held in administrative detention
according to the IDF's own statistics. Since
February 2005, the Prison Service has refused to
provide Israeli human rights organisation
B'Tselem with reliable figures on detainees and
prisoners held in its facilities.

Administrative detention in the occupied territories

In 1970, Israel issued its first military order
authorizing the military commander of the region
to issue administrative detention orders. In
1988, further additional military orders were
issued in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip to
extend the policy of administrative detention.
These orders authorize the issuing of
administrative detention orders without
designating a maximum period of time for the
detention. The NGO Addameer, a Palestinian
prisoners' support and human rights organisation,
reports that the first paragraph of the latest military order states:

"If a Military Commander deems the detention of a
person necessary for security reasons he may do
so for a period not in excess of 6 months, after
which he has the right to extend the detention
period for a further six months according to the
original order. The detention order can be passed
without the presence of the detainee ..."2

Amnesty International describes administrative
detention in Israel as "... a procedure under
which detainees are held without charge or trial.
No charges are filed, and there is no intention
of bringing a detainee to trial. By the detention
order, a detainee is given a specific term of
detention. On or before the expiry of the term,
the detention order is frequently renewed. This
process can be continued indefinitely." 3

Administrative detention is a measure that is
overwhelmingly targeted at Palestinians in the
occupied Palestinian territories. Over the years,
only nine Israeli citizens from settlements in
the West Bank have reportedly been detained for
periods up to six months. Use of administrative
detention increased almost 300-fold in a single
year between 2001 and 2002. Each year since has
seen hundreds of administrative detention orders
being issued against Palestinians.4

[]

According to Addameer, the total number of
prisoners was 8,324 at the end of 2004, including
117 female prisoners and 344 children. 4,400 were
held in Israeli prison service facilities and
3,924 in military detention camps, of which
respectively 277 and 798 were administrative detainees.5

Reporters without Borders write that in 2002 "...
more than 20 Palestinian journalists (were)
arrested since the Israeli occupation of
Palestinian towns and cities began on 29 March".6
In 2003, the same organisation reported that "at
least 13 journalists had been imprisoned (and) a
total of 954 cases of administrative detention
were recorded by human rights groups".7

The number of prisoners keeps growing as the
result of daily 'casual' arrests and nightly
premeditated arrests of Palestinians by the IDF
and the General Security Services.

Israel has claimed that it uses administrative
detention as a necessary security measure and is
only used when normal legal measures or less
severe administrative measures are not sufficient to ensure security.

The panic night

Ahmed (not his real name) shared his experience
of administrative detention with us, confirming
that the security agencies have used the ruse of
'security' in order simply to suppress critical
views amongst Palestinians. What he experienced was dehumanising.

Ahmed first took a deep breath, in order to bring
the memory back. "I don't know why I was in the
detention. They told me I am there because I am
social activist. That's all they said," he tells.

He describes the night he was arrested as "the panic night".

"They arrested me from my house in 2002 at 2
o'clock in the morning. The door of my house was
detonated and then shooting was heard very loudly
inside the house and in the street. At that
moment I thought that I am dead, me and my
family. Then they used the speakers to demand us
all get out of the house, otherwise they will explode the house on our heads.

"They tied my hands behind my back, and covered
my eyes. Then they led me into a vehicle. I was
on the ground. Most of the time they were kicking
me all over my body. After a time the vehicle
stopped and they took me to somewhere that I
don't know. Later I discovered that the trip was
just a 'vacation' compared with the next.

"After several long hours sitting on stones I got
help from a guy there who took off the cover from
my eyes and released my hands from that plastic
band. I remember that I spent almost 24 hours
without drinking a drop of water or eating
anything. Even if I wanted to pee it took over
two hours to allow me, in a mobile bathroom -
very dirty one, no water source in it."

Ofer jail

"After three nights sleeping on the stones they
took me to Ofer Jail near Ramallah by special bus."

Ahmed continues: "The jail was divided into 11
sections. Each section held 120 prisoners,
distributed into 6 tents. The facilities in each
section include 6 bathrooms constructed with zinc
sheets, distributed into 2 showers and two
bathrooms for urine and another two for a sink.
There was just a little channel coming out of the
bathrooms. The ground of the jail and in all the
tents was asphalt. The beds were made of wood
sticks over a mattress without a pillow and with
two sheets. These didn't save the prisoner from
the cold in the winter at all. The prisoners
spent the nights during the winter wearing their
jackets to bed. Otherwise they would freeze from
cold. Every prisoner has an 'account' managed by
the jail. Money is paid in by a member of the prisoner's family."

Ahmed then spoke about the food, which almost
never included meat - protein usually came in the
form of an egg at dinner. It is possible for
teenage prisoners to purchase extra items such as
chocolate with their 'account', but only at
prices much higher than what a person would pay in the West Bank.

"The security counting began at 6 o'clock am,
which meant that all the prisoners should sit on
their knees in front of their tent to be counted.
The prisoners kneel ten in every row, then a
soldier comes to count the prisoners, accompanied
by the representative of the section. This took
place three times a day. If you look at any
guard's face directly you will punished with one
day in isolation, or to pay a fine from your 'account'.

"If any prisoner complains of any kind of disease
or sickness, anything like high blood pressure or
flu or any infection, the medicine is always one
tablet of Paracetamol. For any kind of emergency,
a response from the jail administration could
happen after one day, if you are lucky."

"In Ofer jail, no one interrogated me. They just
sent me to a tent with another 19 persons, but
the tent was barely enough for 6-8 persons. After
three weeks there, the administration of the jail
called me to a military court."

Military court

Ahmed recalls: "The sentences of administrative
detention are made in a 'court', which is a hall
of 7 metres by 5 metres in the jail. There is a
military judge, the intelligence officer, the
lawyer and translator. It is just a fake court to
tell you that there is secret evidence that no
one could know, even the judge himself, on advice
from the intelligence officer to the judge. This
is in order to punish a prisoner with six months'
administrative detention or to extend his period
to another three to six months.

"When it is done, the prisoner does not know the
prison is going to ask for an extension until
just a few hours before his release time. After
that, within two weeks he will be led to the
court to hear this from the judge. This always caused me a serious depression."

Harsh conditions

Israeli lawyers handling administrative detention
cases validate Ahmed's experience. They are all
too familiar with the harsh living conditions
(and worse) of detainees in the military jails.

"While most prisoners are accommodated in tents,
at times (they are) overcrowded and as a rule
furnished with wooden planks (boards) and covered
with rather thin mattresses to sleep on.
Occasionally, boxes serve as tables and/or
cupboards. A prisoner's plank (is) about 1/2
meter from his neighbour's and is what he has as
his individual living space. Barbed wire and a
wall surround several tents forming a section.
There are showers and lavatories inside each
section and a small space is left for exercise ..."8

Contacts with family members and legal
representatives are also highly restricted.

"Prisoners are not free to communicate with
family and friends ... During often-imposed
sieges and special closures and always during the
Jewish holidays the visits are suspended. ...The
visitors and the visited undergo meticulous,
humiliating strip searches. During the visit
prisoners are separated from the families by a
double mesh, all physical contact, even with
babies, is forbidden. Proper conversation is
impossible. The prisoners are not allowed to
communicate by phone - not even with their lawyers."9

"A living hell"

Most of the Palestinians in administrative
detention are held in Ofer Military Camp in the
West Bank, the Ansar 3 / Ketziot Military Camp in
the harsh Negev desert, Beituniya and Kfar Yuna
Military Prison camps. Another Palestinian who
was detained there, and who shared his
experiences with us, described the notorious
Ansar 3 prison as "... a living hell ... living
amongst the snakes and the scorpions".

The fact that detainees are held in tents and
subject to extreme weather conditions without
appropriate protection creates a highly dangerous
situation. Ex detainees from Ansar 3 / Ketziot
expressed to the authors the difficulties of
dealing with the extreme temperatures in the
desert, where the days are unbearably hot and the
nights can be extremely cold. This summer it was
reported in the press that 18-year old Jawad abu
Mgheisib died in detention in the Negev, reportedly from medical neglect.10

Already in 1998, Amnesty International reported
that "... in Megiddo Military Detention Centre
Marwan Ma'ali who was arrested in August
committed suicide in September. Psychiatrists in
the detention centre had reportedly diagnosed him
as depressive with suicidal tendencies and
recommended his release or hospitalisation. An
Israeli human rights organisation had described
his isolation cell as 'unsuitable for habitation
for any human being'. Nevertheless, his
administrative detention had been extended for
five months shortly before his suicide." 11

Systematic and routine

The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights deals
with 150 to 300 cases of torture per year.
According to this organisation there are also
clear patterns that an institutionalised process
of routinely holding people under administrative
detention exists. The Center further reports that
the vast majority of the Palestinian detainees
are exposed to torture and humiliation. Beatings
and forced stress positions are widely used, as
well as suffocation practices. Even electric
shock treatment is reportedly still practised.12

Last year a Palestinian ex-prisoner spoke at a
conference in London about his experiences:

"Having spent 14 and half years in jail ... I
could provide you with thousands of stories of
torture and maltreatment. Normally when we think
of torture we imagine brute physical force being
applied to naked flesh, but today I will tell you
a different story, something which happened to me.

"Having been deprived of sleep for 2 or 3 days, a
tin bucket was placed on my head. I was made to
stand still. My interrogator then turned on a
shower tap above my head, the water dripped out
slowly. I was then left by my interrogator and
watched by a guard for several hours. You feel
like you are losing you mind. After several hours
my interrogator returned to mock me, was I
'having fun enjoying being clean for once' ... In
such circumstances, whilst others are having
similar things done to them in nearby rooms, the
stress become unbearable. Many crack and begin hallucinating." 13

Imad Sabi, director of a Palestinian NGO in
Ramallah encouraged people to boycott the 1996
Legislative Council elections. He was arrested by
Israeli troops in December 1995, shortly before
the Palestinian Authority was to take over in
Ramallah and was held in administrative